toldailytopic: Should the government bailout failing companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 7th, 2011 09:33 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The government should stay entirely out of the free market. The government's job is to provide the countries (or states) infrastructure, local and national security.

If a company fails.... it fails!

If there is a market for that product or service another entrepreneur will come and fill the void. The short term pain of a failed company (loss of jobs, tax revenue, etc.) is far less painful than the long term pain of wasting our grandchildren's money on a company that is failing.

What say ye?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think it's the government's business to be doing bailouts. There is a reason why businesses fail. They are not being competitive. Bailouts only perpetuate the problem of poor business practice. Let the consumer decide which business succeed, not the government. The government needs to keep its grimy paws out of the private sector.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
if you pay close attention, you will find that we are actually bailing out unions and their benefits and their pension plans and the people who run them

and

ultimately the Democratic Party

The Graphite

Absolutely, positively not, no way, no how.

Corporate welfare is welfare. All welfare is 1) harmful not only to the ones from which the money is wrongly taken but also harmful to those who receive it, and 2) all welfare is immoral. God has not delegated to any government the authority to redistribute wealth in these ways.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Depends on the company and the potential impact on our economy. It helped save GM and they've already paid back billions.

To quote from the link:

"As of today, GM has repaid in full and interest," said GM CEO Ed Whitacre to a crowd assembled on floor of a GM plant in Kansas City, Kan.

To smiles and applause from workers, Whitacre also announced GM's plan to invest $257 million in that plant and another in Detroit to ramp up production of the Chevy Malibu.

Sounds like a win for the American economy and people.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Including service connected disability payments and health care for war veterans?

The military is a government institution. I don't have any problems with the government taking care of its retirees and disabled veterans, after all veterans are retired government employees and businesses including the government should take care of their employees.

I don't agree with the government bailing out businesses in the private sector. The government and the private sector really are not connected. This hurts the country. When a business fails another will move in and take its place. Businesses with shady practices fail.

Take for example WAMU. My husband and I had personal experience with this business. They were in the nasty habit of refusing payments, losing payments then jacking the interest up on loans way high. people starting cutting up their credit cards and WAMU went under, bought out by JP Morgan/Chase. Chase doesn't do this to its customers so it is succeeding where WAMU failed.

firon

rephrase the question

rephrase the question

Should taxpayers bail out failing companies. No way!

PyramidHead

The bailouts were hilarious, taxpayers paying to re-establish corporations so that they could continue ripping off taxpayers. lol

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
The government should stay entirely out of the free market. The government's job is to provide the countries (or states) infrastructure, local and national security.

If a company fails.... it fails!

If there is a market for that product or service another entrepreneur will come and fill the void. The short term pain of a failed company (loss of jobs, tax revenue, etc.) is far less painful than the long term pain of wasting our grandchildren's money on a company that is failing.

What say ye?
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.