toldailytopic: Should congress side with Obama and vote to raise the debt ceiling, or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 15th, 2011 09:29 AM

toldailytopic: Should congress side with Obama and vote to raise the debt ceiling, or take a hardline and operate within current spending limits?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Alate_One

There should be no question on raising the debt ceiling. Raising the debt ceiling means actually paying what we said we are going to pay. Not paying our bills is irresponsible and will cause massive economic problems.

If raising the debt ceiling was such a horrible thing there should have been a much bigger fight over the budget in the first place, since every budget has had implicit in it, raising the ceiling. If the US's credit rating gets lowered (very likely in a default) it will mean hundreds of billions of dollars in increased INTEREST payments, money that would be a complete waste. Why would anyone want such a thing is beyond me. But, heavens, we can't let our ideology get in the way of reality now can we? :hammer:

Oh and I think if there is a default, people that elected hardline tea party congressmen should be the first to have all federal payments suspended.

What's so hilarious in this situation is the congressional leaders that are making such a huge deal out of raising the debt ceiling voted to raise it FIVE times under Bush (at close to a trillion dollars a pop) with no required spending cuts. Hypocrites? Yes.

The rest of you that weren't making a big deal back in the Bush years? Also hypocrites.

frostmanj

Subscriber
Hardline. Spending cuts must be made regardless. Raising taxes on businesses and profitable individuals will cool the economy making recovery (and therefore future tax revenues) slower.

Alate_One

Hardline. Spending cuts must be made regardless. Raising taxes on businesses and profitable individuals will cool the economy making recovery (and therefore future tax revenues) slower.

And spending cuts won't hurt jobs? Spending cuts will cause layoffs directly. Tax increases on the wealthy that are already not creating jobs may have less of an impact. What we should really be doing is not even talking about cutting spending or increasing taxes until the economy recovers. But the manufactured crisis is making everyone assume that drastic changes are needed, NOW. We definitely have a massive debt problem that needs dealt with. Problem is, now is a really bad time to do it.

0712zyglis_custom.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes. The only thing more irresponsible than the conduct that led us to this point would be to fail to meet our obligations and default.

frostmanj

Subscriber
And spending cuts won't hurt jobs? Spending cuts will cause layoffs directly. Tax increases on the wealthy that are already not creating jobs may have less of an impact. What we should really be doing is not even talking about cutting spending or increasing taxes until the economy recovers. But the manufactured crisis is making everyone assume that drastic changes are needed, NOW. We definitely have a massive debt problem that needs dealt with. Problem is, now is a really bad time to do it.

0712zyglis_custom.jpg

Most wealthy people DO create jobs. Small business owners do it in a very direct fashion. Will jobs be lost. Yep...but those will be government jobs that don't produce any wealth. Government is not a for profit business. Government workers are paid for by the taxes of private workers. There is no exception to this. Government fiscally has to live off the private sector. When the economy is shinking, the only logical step is to shink government also. The imbalance between government needs and the ability of the private sector to supply those needs will only grow until the private sector collapses entirely. This is what revolutions are made of.

Alate_One

Most wealthy people DO create jobs.
They sure haven't been under the current conditions. In fact the rich have been enjoying huge pay increases in just the last year (of supposed recession) while the rest of the country has wages that have actually fallen in real dollars. Income is currently as unequal in the US as Ivory Coast. How are the wealthy people supposed to create jobs when the bottom 90% can't afford to buy what they are selling? Trickle down doesn't work. Economists know it, the only people still trying to sell it are the ideologues like yourself.

"The typical male worker makes less today, discounted for inflation, than the typical median worker made in 1969," says Madrick. "The idea that people make the same or less today than they made 40 years ago is a stunning historical fact."

and CEOs make 10 times what they did at the same time in history. Don't you think that's a problem?

Small business owners do it in a very direct fashion. Will jobs be lost. Yep...but those will be government jobs that don't produce any wealth.
The people that are employed and have their needs met will beg to differ. Wealth does not necessarily mean that anyone gets any benefit. "Wealth" can simply be a number sitting on someone's balance sheet forever, doing nothing.

Government is not a for profit business. Government workers are paid for by the taxes of private workers. There is no exception to this. Government fiscally has to live off the private sector.
Government also taxes those workers and those workers use government money to buy goods and services which in turn supports private business. Overly simplistic thinking will get you nowhere.

When the economy is shinking, the only logical step is to shink government also.
Not at all. Who taught you economics? If there is no demand and companies are afraid of investment what's to be done? Cut government, sit back and twiddle our thumbs hoping that private business will magically do something?

Government can stimulate businesses and it can do so by running deficits which can be made up during economic booms (assuming someone doesn't go and cut taxes and start wars to erase the surplus). If the private sector won't, government MUST. That's the bottom line.

The imbalance between government needs and the ability of the private sector to supply those needs will only grow until the private sector collapses entirely. This is what revolutions are made of.
I'm afraid you have it backwards. The private sector is currently undertaxed, both historically and internationally speaking. The revolution will come from the workers that cannot find jobs and are cut off from social services and left to die in the streets because of "necessary cuts" that keep giving larger and larger tax breaks to companies that already pay a lower tax rate than the lower 90%. THAT is what revolutions are made of. Or did you miss history class?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
it doesn't matter what you think about this at this time
but
what does matter is how you vote in 2012

frostmanj

Subscriber
Alate_One

I am all for spirited discussion, but can you please refrain from the personal attacks on my education. For you information I have a Masters in Management from Webster University in Saint Louis. This includes graduate level accounting, business management, and economics. I realize I simplify things, but that does not mean I don't understand. As far as history, I would put my Undergradute from Va Tech (with 30 hours in history) and my six months of military history at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College up against most peoples history education.

As for supply side economics (perjoratively called 'trickle down') not all economists support your premise.

James D. Gwartney, Professor Economics, Florida State: Recent work by edward prescott, corecipient of the 2004 Nobel Prize in economics, used differences in marginal tax rates between France and the United States to make such a comparison. Prescott found that the elasticity of the long-run labor supply was substantially greater than in the short-run supply and that differences in tax rates between France and the United States explained nearly all of the 30 percent shortfall of labor inputs in France compared with the United States. He concluded:

I find it remarkable that virtually all of the large difference in labor supply between France and the United States is due to differences in tax systems. I expected institutional constraints on the operation of labor markets and the nature of the unemployment benefit system to be more important. I was surprised that the welfare gain from reducing the intratemporal tax wedge is so large. (Prescott 2002, p. 9)

To answer your point that there is a large disparity between the rich and the poor right now. I agree. I am not sure though how a tax and redistribute system fosters innovation and motivation. The 'rich' become less motivated to do business or invest in the U.S. in order to avoid high tax rates. Poverty levels historically have not decreased due to welfare systems. Are there examples where people have benefited and done better, absolutely. There are also examples of those who have taken advantage of the system and not done anything beyond the minimal effort to stay in the system. It is a cruel aspect of existence that hunger is often the greatest motivator. I am not against systems that protect the weakest among us. I am against systems that foster dependency.

I think a better way of going after the disparity between the rich and poor is a consumption tax. This tax would not be applied to housing, food, or clothing (items that are necessary for living). Do away with the progressive income tax and replace it with a national sales tax and you will accomplish two things. All people share equally according to their means in support of the government. Two, you make expenditures on 'luxury' items (hence things the rich buy more of than the poor) the means of government revenue. This way, the tax code is only as progressive as the individual's spending habits make it. As it is, the government is not responsive to the poorer tax brackets due to lack of power (read money to lobby, support election campaigns, etc.) By tying taxes to sales, you make it imperitive on politicians to grow the economy and foster job growth. Right now it is only imperitive that they foster the rich to continue to get richer (income based).

I stand by my statements about the relationship between government and private sector. Do government workers pay for goods. Yes. No argument. But, the only reason they are doing that is because they first took money from the private sector that could have stayed in the private sector. One dollar in private sector spending turns into one dollar spent the in the private sector. One dollar given to the government in taxes is turned into about 60 cents in private sector spending. Remember, the government worker is not the only government expense. The government will never be as efficient as the private sector in fiscal responsibility. Why should they be? I will say it again, profit has no meaning to government.

You make many valid points in your post. I promise to respect your intelligence. I only ask the same in return.

Alate_One

Alate_One

I am all for spirited discussion, but can you please refrain from the personal attacks on my education.
I do not mean any personal attack against you but saying that economic downturn ALWAYS means government should be cut is simply ludicrous and against every economic theory I have read. There are situations where government is taking up too much of the economy, but this is not at all the situation in the US at the present time. And lastly being educated does not necessarily mean you have your facts right.

As for supply side economics (perjoratively called 'trickle down') not all economists support your premise.
No, but most do. You can always find a few contrarians in any field of study. Perhaps you were taught by some? Because there are contrarians does not make them right!

To answer your point that there is a large disparity between the rich and the poor right now. I agree. I am not sure though how a tax and redistribute system fosters innovation and motivation.
So much of the innovation and productivity of the early 50s was through government fostering innovation.

The 'rich' become less motivated to do business or invest in the U.S. in order to avoid high tax rates.
Except the actual tax rates are quite low. Perhaps you missed the news report of GE not only not paying taxes but receiving a tax credit.

Poverty levels historically have not decreased due to welfare systems.
Except they did when said systems were implemented, especially for the elderly.

Are there examples where people have benefited and done better, absolutely. There are also examples of those who have taken advantage of the system and not done anything beyond the minimal effort to stay in the system. It is a cruel aspect of existence that hunger is often the greatest motivator. I am not against systems that protect the weakest among us. I am against systems that foster dependency.
And I think you are, in essence, repeating the myth of the welfare queen which I think is largely overblown. That said I don't think the social safety net is operated as well as it could be.

I think a better way of going after the disparity between the rich and poor is a consumption tax. This tax would not be applied to housing, food, or clothing (items that are necessary for living). Do away with the progressive income tax and replace it with a national sales tax and you will accomplish two things.
So a sales tax only on luxury items? In general sales taxes tend to hit the poor much harder than other sorts of taxes. There was more income equality when tax levels were MORE progressive, correlation doesn't equal causation but I don't know any evidence your proposal is one that will help the problem.

All people share equally according to their means in support of the government.
But the problem is a flat tax is not actually equal.

As it is, the government is not responsive to the poorer tax brackets due to lack of power (read money to lobby, support election campaigns, etc.) By tying taxes to sales, you make it imperitive on politicians to grow the economy and foster job growth.
No offense but I don't see how tying taxes to luxury spending would help, the rich would still be providing most of the income for government and the poor would still be providing little.

I think the superior option is to implement real campaign finance reform (presumably changing out some supreme court) that stops the rich from buying their politicians and hands real power back to the people. Making election days into federal holidays so the working poor CAN actually vote. When I canvassed in the 2008 election I found quite a number of poor people that were unsure they could vote because they were working. I'm aware businesses are SUPPOSED to allow workers to vote, but often it simply doesn't happen.

I stand by my statements about the relationship between government and private sector. Do government workers pay for goods. Yes. No argument. But, the only reason they are doing that is because they first took money from the private sector that could have stayed in the private sector.
As I said if said money is sitting in a bank account or a mutual fund or a stock option it's not going to do anything for anyone other than bankers and the rich person. Force the money into the economy and it works for everyone. That makes sense doesn't it?

One dollar in private sector spending turns into one dollar spent the in the private sector. One dollar given to the government in taxes is turned into about 60 cents in private sector spending. Remember, the government worker is not the only government expense.
Do you have a citation for this?

The government will never be as efficient as the private sector in fiscal responsibility. Why should they be? I will say it again, profit has no meaning to government.
What you just said doesn't make any sense. The lack of profit is a GOOD THING from the perspective of the taxpayer. You pay a minimum for the goods and services and there's no need to enrich someone in charge on top of paying expenses. Those expenses employ people which again must spend their money to stay alive funneling said money back into the larger economy. Privatizing parts of governments is usually a bad thing because of profit margins, if a profit must be made, government money must go into that profit margin as well. Of course some aspects of government can be effectively privatized but profit margin often is the problem.

You make many valid points in your post. I promise to respect your intelligence. I only ask the same in return.
I'm not intending to insult anyone's intelligence, I responded to your ideas which do not appear to me to match your educational background.

Alate_One

I am all for spirited discussion, but can you please refrain from the personal attacks on my education. For you information I have a Masters in Management from Webster University in Saint Louis. This includes graduate level accounting, business management, and economics. I realize I simplify things, but that does not mean I don't understand. As far as history, I would put my Undergradute from Va Tech (with 30 hours in history) and my six months of military history at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College up against most peoples history education.

As someone who studied and tutored econ in undergrad, and economics and law in law school, I can say with great confidence based on what you've said in this thread that, if you paid for an education in economics, you got ripped off - badly. This is macroeconomics, and not something that a Masters in management would have much reason to learn past a very basic intro level.

By the way, supply side isn't economics, it's ideology, and the label 'trickle down' isn't used pejoratively, but descriptively - its proponents claim that prosperity will 'trickle down' from the top, or, as Saint Reagan put it, a rising tide lifts all boats. Even republicans of the day knew it was crap, without the need for the last three decades of proof. Anyone advancing supply side these days is a complete hack living in a dream world, or billionaire-backed mouthpiece who doesn't care about the good of the country so long as they get theirs.

PL

kmoney

Hall of Fame
We definitely have a massive debt problem that needs dealt with. Problem is, now is a really bad time to do it.

At what point does it become a good time to handle the problem?

And what do you propose we do once that time comes?

frostmanj

Subscriber
As someone who studied and tutored econ in undergrad, and economics and law in law school, I can say with great confidence based on what you've said in this thread that, if you paid for an education in economics, you got ripped off - badly. This is macroeconomics, and not something that a Masters in management would have much reason to learn past a very basic intro level.

By the way, supply side isn't economics, it's ideology, and the label 'trickle down' isn't used pejoratively, but descriptively - its proponents claim that prosperity will 'trickle down' from the top, or, as Saint Reagan put it, a rising tide lifts all boats. Even republicans of the day knew it was crap, without the need for the last three decades of proof. Anyone advancing supply side these days is a complete hack living in a dream world, or billionaire-backed mouthpiece who doesn't care about the good of the country so long as they get theirs.

PL

I would hardly call a Co-Nobel Prize winner a complete hack IMHO.

Alate_One

At what point does it become a good time to handle the problem?

And what do you propose we do once that time comes?

What we should be doing NOW, is implementing a long term plan to reduce the deficit and eventually pay down the debt. We should also be looking at fostering job growth first which will help the deficit problem in the long run.

We should be looking at tax loopholes and an eventual retooling of the tax code as a whole. We should be looking at spending cuts in the military ( 'pubs took that off the table too), and look at entitlement reforms. But we shouldn't be trying to do this at the last minute with a deadline hanging over our heads and with people that are completely unable to compromise. Nor should cuts be drastic or immediate.

The president has been FOR all of this, but republicans are saying no tax changes AT ALL or they walk. Making some kind of long term plan is important to the markets and ratings agencies but it's looking like we may end up with a straight debt limit only change because Republicans can't take a good deal when they see it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What we should be doing NOW, is implementing a long term plan to reduce the deficit and eventually pay down the debt. We should also be looking at fostering job growth first which will help the deficit problem in the long run.
What is your proposal to grow jobs?

We should be looking at tax loopholes and an eventual retooling of the tax code as a whole. We should be looking at spending cuts in the military ( 'pubs took that off the table too), and look at entitlement reforms. But we shouldn't be trying to do this at the last minute with a deadline hanging over our heads and with people that are completely unable to compromise. Nor should cuts be drastic or immediate.

The president has been FOR all of this, but republicans are saying no tax changes AT ALL or they walk. Making some kind of long term plan is important to the markets and ratings agencies but it's looking like we may end up with a straight debt limit only change because Republicans can't take a good deal when they see it.

The problem with long-term plans is that they can be changed by future Congresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.