toldailytopic: Quirky family traditions or hobbies. Share some odd things your family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 12th, 2010 02:57 PM

toldailytopic: Quirky family traditions or hobbies. Share some odd things your family enjoys that may surprise the rest of us.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
we color boiled eggs and have the kiddies hunt them and eat them.

Better than boiling, coloring, and hiding the rabbits, I suppose. :think:

Every Sunday until I left for college, my family attended church together and then went home to the same meal: filet mignon, garlic bread, baked beans, an enormous stuffed potato and a lovely green, tossed salad.

Then we'd sit around the table and argue politics, religion, anything really, though every discussion was peppered with good humor, offered with affection and civility. :D I hope I give my child as fond a remembrance.

Man....have I mentioned lately how unbelievably lucky I've been? Just absurd good fortune, really, illness notwithstanding.

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
When the kids were young we told them that they had to hold their breath and put their hands up to support the tunnel each time we went through a tunnel. We still do it today and it has become somewhat of a challenge to get through the Eisenhower Tunnel. :chuckle:

doodlebug

Every Sunday until I left for college, my family attended church together and then went home to the same meal: filet mignon, garlic bread, baked beans, an enormous stuffed potato and a lovely green, tossed salad.

Then we'd sit around the table and argue politics, religion, anything really, though every discussion was peppered with good humor and civility. :D I hope I give my child as fond a remembrance.

Man....have I mentioned lately how unbelievably lucky I've been? Just absurd good fortune, really, illness notwithstanding.

That sounds great! Do you eat boiled eggs too?

we never boil or color rabbits and we do not buy the chocolate ones either or the sugar chicks.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Then we'd sit around the table and argue politics, religion, anything really, though every discussion was peppered with good humor and civility. :D I hope I give my child as fond a remembrance.

Civility is far too civilized for my tastes.

doodlebug

I may just. :think: I think it could catch on. :thumb:

Well, if you'd ever had a Reester Bunny you might not be so adamant about one of those. :chew:

think harder! thanks for the rep, mine would not do you any good:chuckle:

I am just not into bunnies. ;)

taikoo

When the kids were young we told them that they had to hold their breath and put their hands up to support the tunnel each time we went through a tunnel. We still do it today and it has become somewhat of a challenge to get through the Eisenhower Tunnel. :chuckle:

We did that as kids. Aunt "X" just wouldnt quit talking and so we invented a hold your breath game to get her to be quiet for a bit.

Newman

Every time someone says that a centerfold dies somewhere. :shocked:

I was wondering why my my girlfriend just collapsed spontaneously... :think:

My family has a huge Halloween Party every year. 70+ people, I think, is the average.

Y'all aren't invited. Sorry. :nananana:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here's one. When I was a kid and we went through the Bankhead tunnel in Mobile (where white gloved attendants controlled the flow of traffic with entertaining gestures and short whistle blasts) we'd make a contest out of holding our breath. I suppose that's common enough, but...I still do it now, even if no one knows. :D

ragTagblues

Me and my old man have ignored each others birthdays for about the last 6 years . . . is that a tradition?

Its not like I don't have a good relationship with him, its just an unspoken 'I won't bring up that you forgot my birthday, as long as you don't bring up I forgot your birthday' kinda situation.

Neither do we get each other Xmas presents now that I think of it, but we both buy for the rest of the family, its strange.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We, Mrs Psalmist and me, have a Christmas Eve picnic around our Christmas Tree. Basket, blanket, etc.

I collect and I have very large pencil collection, both mechanical (Scripto, Eversharp, etc.) and regular wood cased lead pencils.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
My father would read our written homework, then lower the grade and have the teacher record that grade unless we were able to rewrite it. That was odd, he may have enjoyed it in a fatherly fashion. That is a bit quirky, but I am not all that sure I enjoyed it? I remember when he gave me "The FountainHead" and asked me to use it for an 8th grade book report, then compare classical liberalism with objectivism. That also seems odd, and glad I was pushed so much to learn and achieve, yet I cannot recall if it was all so enjoyable? We all read the "National Review". I used to ride my horse into town, but that only seems odd, was not then, but enjoyable.

Odd things my family enjoyed. Maybe in my generation, we always water skied, but that is not odd. We had 80s parties, not odd either, but enjoyable.

Next generation? My youngest son dyed his hair green, seemed odd to me.

Odd thing, odd, let me think.

Next generation? My granddaughter likes to toss me, now that is odd and enjoyable. Tossing old ktoyou around, usually into the pool is rather an odd thing to do.

bybee

My grandmother and Uncle lived next door when we were young. My sister and I shared a bedroom and our window looked over to our Uncle's window. When Grandma was up and making pancakes he would put a magazine in the window and that was the signal to come over for breakfast. She made huge crepes in a 10" "Spider". They had crispy edges and we loaded them with butter and maple syrup. She would allow us to have a cup of coffee, half milk half coffee along with our breakfast. Then we offered to help with the dishes but she would usually shoo us out the door. My mouth is watering over this memory.

nicholsmom

We do all sorts of regular traditional stuff like eating meals together every day, going to church together, going fishing and camping, getting together with extended family for birthdays and holidays, watching the Colts together on Sundays in the fall... I guess all that stuff is kind of quirky these days.

Just about every year, I go with my parents and my kids on a nice long drive through the fall country side. Along the way we pick bittersweet, visit an orchard, and walk across a covered bridge. Sometimes we have lunch or pie in a local restaurant in the town where the covered bridge stands. We take lots of pictures, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.