toldailytopic: Musicians, actors, and athletes, who's political or religious beliefs

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 10th, 2012 09:56 AM

toldailytopic: Musicians, actors, and athletes, who's political or religious beliefs changed the way you felt about them.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This Charming Manc

Occasionally positively, rarely negatively.

I expect the world to be worldly so when famous people don't conform to what I think is a Godly viewpoint, I don't have a fruit and nut.

*having a fruit and nut* - English phrase meaning going a little mad/angry

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Conan O'brien is one that comes to mind for me. I used to think he was funny but now that he is an out of the closet lefty I just can't stand him anymore.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I try not to factor an athlete or artist's politics into their work--I could care less who they're praying to or voting for if the music (for example) moves me. Can't think of anyone I've ever soured on based on their politics or religion.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I can't think of anyone, either. Even full-out fruitcakes like Rosanne (whatever her name is now) and Ted Nugent can still entertain me; I just don't think about their fixations.

IMJerusha

David Letterman - I can no longer tolerate his left wing arrogance.
Craig Ferguson - He is so funny but his vulgarity completely overshadows his humor anymore.
Kirk Cameron - He threw so much effort against Romney and swayed a lot of votes to remain out of the process altogether, thereby digging America into deeper trials via Obama. I have repeatedly asked his office to cease sending me email and they just ignore me.
Sherrod Brown - Told my husband and I that he would not give any consideration to Republican requests. They aren't his constituency.

jeremysdemo

I try not to factor an athlete or artist's politics into their work--I could care less who they're praying to or voting for if the music (for example) moves me. Can't think of anyone I've ever soured on based on their politics or religion.

I think it comes down to pack mentality.

When I was coming up in the 80's us long hairs (or metal heads as we were called) listened to a band named Judas Priest, then I guess Rob came out of his closet (as if all the leather studding was not a clue) and I clearly remember many of my friends throwing out all their beloved JP albums and tapes, and taking the patches of their jackets.

to me it made no difference, I liked the music (up till Turbo which sounded too techno for my taste) but I did take quite a lot of flack back then for not going with the crowd on that one and keeping my records.

I think if you spend your life worrying about what others think of you you will regret your decisions later in life.

the only exception I would say to your statement for me personally (and you may agree with this) are writers and people in professional fields, anthropology, archeology, ancient linguistics, etc. if they are prominent Protestants, Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's etc I take that into account in reading their conclusions to the evidences but not the evidences themselves.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quincy

Just the scientologists. Can't stand scientology personally. Now I'd fight for someone's right to be a scientologist mind you, but I wouldn't buddy up with him/her :nono: .

PureX

The truth is that I don't know any famous actors, politicians, rock stars, TV preachers, or general media sluts. So I don't really have any idea who they are apart from the image they present through the media. And I understand that these images are "developed" to increase their celebrity, and therefor their profitability. So just because some actor or sports star says something on TV doesn't mean they believe it, or mean it. So neither do I. It's all just part of the show.

I'm trained and experienced as a professional artist. I understand what 'artifice' is. I don't mistake the painting of a bird for an actual bird. And I don't automatically believe the painter when he tells me why he painted it. Because I know that he may well be less cognizant of why he did it than anyone. And that's OK.

To dislike a person I don't even know for saying or doing something I don't like would be foolish. I am intelligent enough to understand that these are two separate conditions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Conan O'brien is one that comes to mind for me. I used to think he was funny but now that he is an out of the closet lefty I just can't stand him anymore.
I generally don't care about an entertainer's personal alliances unless it becomes a part of their art or act.

Letterman lost me rather publicly here a while back. Conan had prior to that for the same reason. Denis Leary, whose work for firemen is admirable is in the same boat. I liked Olbermann's sports analysis, but his political show was an overblown irritation with the early iterations too frequently ridiculing religion in "Jesus face appearing on a piece of toast" like bits. I complained about that one and a few must have because he softened it, but then when Russet died and he tried to work in a poignant observation at odds with his own belief system I'd had enough.

faramir77

Media figures should be tired for sedition and endangering the welfare of children by a senate sub-committee.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There are a lot of insufferable, pompous twits using their celebrity position as though it gave them some kind of special insight.

Who cares what they think? If they manage to be entertaining in spite of that, then fine.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Just the scientologists. Can't stand scientology personally. Now I'd fight for someone's right to be a scientologist mind you, but I wouldn't buddy up with him/her :nono: .

Scientologists are who I first thought of also. I was a Tom Cruise fan, and I still will see his movies, but it's harder for me to respect him now that I know he's a Scientologist.

Other than that, I can't think of much. I don't know much about the beliefs of celebrities.

PureX

I'm more freaked out by John Travolta's painted on hair.

image.jpg

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The wicked witch of the east Barbara Streisand...I wish someone would drop a house on her.

Bill Mahr what a complete and total horses hind end...

Any of the useful idiots on MSNBC

Whoopi Goldberg... like she is some kind of political expert

Letterman...can't see what anyone sees in this no talent clod.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Musicians, actors, and athletes, who's political or religious beliefs changed the way you felt about them.

Natalie Portman.

I'm not saying I liked her as a person; I didn't even know her. But I thought she was a great actress. She was in my top 5 great actresses list. Then she opened her mouth about her politics. She didn't lose any talent, but I lost interest. I no longer feel I must see any movie she's in.