toldailytopic: Killing vs. murder what's the difference? Is it always wrong to kill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 14th, 2010 09:52 AM

toldailytopic: Killing vs. murder what's the difference? Is it always wrong to kill? Is it always wrong to murder?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

csuguy

Murder is unlawful killing. Not all killing is against the law, but is permissible. Murder is always sinful.

For many sins, the Hebrew Law demands that the community kill sinners - typically by stoning. Naturally, then, these would be instances where killing is permissible.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Murder is not only unlawful but is also unethical and immoral. Abortion is murder, but is currently legal in many countries. Government execution via the death penalty is not legal in all places but it is not murder.

grit

I do like it,
Sam I am,
I do not like
the death of Spam.

If murder is
the death of me,
Then murder's death
shall set me free.

If to kill be murder,
always wrong,
And death of wrong
be right all long;
Then wrong of murder
ought we to kill
with excellent right of skill.

Ps82

The reason I believe that there is a difference is because cities were established within the Promised Land, so that those, who had killed someone, could find refuge until they could present their defense. People are often killed by someone else in an auto accident - etc. These are not all necessarily a deliberate murder.

This is why I call abortion MURDER. It is deliberate. It benefits those who do it while destroying the life of a vulnerable innocent.

I find this nuance more apropos to your question:
If an evil man is killed (like a Hitler-type, a fanatic like a Jim Jones, a cattle rustler and a thief breaking into your home, or an abortionist) should it be regarded as a MURDER?

Perhaps in man's eyes it is fair and it does seem to add to stability in our society ... and a day in court seems to be in order ... but I wonder about the way God sees it ??????

If a society has passed laws that make certain kind of MURDER legal - like abortion - or, one day, euthanasia ... then how can law-abiding men deal with it?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the difference is that it is legal to kill an unborn baby because of liberals on the court

HerodionRomulus

Yes, it is always wrong to kill, not matter what. Abortion, execution, drive-by-shooting, warfare etc....

Our standard is "love one another" death is not an exhibition of love---ever!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, it is always wrong to kill, not matter what. Abortion, execution, drive-by-shooting, warfare etc....

Would it be alright to kill somebody to protect an innocent life? (assuming there were no other reasonable option)

Ps82

and she will be around for a long time

I don't blame Pres. "O." I blame the people who supported and voted for him. There are many Americans out there thinking that they are innocent and righteous ... that will be surprised one day when they see their role in all of this exposed by the judge of all mankind.

Son of Jack

Would it be alright to kill somebody to protect an innocent life? (assuming there were no other reasonable option)

If a man knows the good he should do and does not do it then it is sin.

There are times to kill that aren't sinful. If a man (or woman) breaks into my home and is about to murder my family and I don't try to stop by whatever means necessary, then I am worse than an unbeliever.

Ps82

Here we go again. And how of those "liberals" were put on the court by Republican presidents?

I'll give you that one ... but it is still the President that nominates them ... and the way people become guilty is this:

When the people put a liberal in office then their expectations will be that he chooses a liberal judge for the supreme court.

But when people vote for a conservative their expectations are that they will get a constitutional conservation on the court.

If that conservative president picks a liberal judge against the expectation of the voters ... then the people have not erred.

There are many reasons conservative may be influenced in his choice of a judge ... by the lies of others ... misunderstanding ... pressure and temptation to compromise... but the people expected a conservative.

Conservatives vote that way in the hopes of obtaining honorable moral judges.
In the same way liberals vote in the hopes to obtain more liberals ...

Do you see the difference?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Explain to us how execution of violent offenders is not the loving thing to do for them, and the rest of society...

The Graphite

the difference is that it is legal to kill an unborn baby because of liberals on the court

Chrys, you misspelled "Republicans" there. FYI.

• It was Republican Gov.John Love who signed abortion into law at the state level in Colorado in 1967.
  • It was Republican Gov. Ronald Reagan who then signed it into law at the state level in California.
  • The Republican governor of New Mexico signed it into law shortly before I was born in 1971, making me a "survivor."
  • A Republican-dominated Supreme Court gave the Roe v Wade ruling.
  • The Roe decision was written by Republican justice Blackmun.
  • Every Republican president since then has been pro-choice, with the solitary exception of Reagan, who by that time had repented of legalizing infanticide years before.
  • Most of the Republicansrunning for president in the primaries in 2008 had a distinctly pro-abortion record (McCain, Romney, Thompson, Giuliani, et.al.)
  • Republican McCain, who got the nomination in 2008, is officially on record as stating unequivocally that "abortion should remain legal."
  • Not one of the 7 Republican-nominted judges on the Supreme Court recognize the right to life of the unborn. Not one is pro-life.
And of course, you want us to realize that this is why we need more Repubicans in office, and more Republican judges on the bench. :doh:

It is legal to kill an unborn baby because of Republicans in office and in the courts.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Murder is the malicious act that illegally and intentionally ends a human life.

Killing ends a life, but not necessarily intentionally, maliciously or without good cause.

And no, it isn't always wrong to kill. Sometimes killing is very right. Like when using the DP on murderers or killing someone in self defense who is an immediate threat to your life or the life of someone close to you ...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I disagree with you. It is very *right* to execute murderers and kill someone in self defense. It's called protecting the human race.

Selaphiel

Killing is only defensible when not killing endangers innocent lives. Execution of criminals is not necessary to save lives and I would therefore deem the execution of a prisoner as murder, life in prison for murder and other extremely serious crimes is enough to protect the society.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Murder is the malicious act that illegally and intentionally ends a human life.

Killing ends a life, but not necessarily intentionally, maliciously or without good cause.

And no, it isn't always wrong to kill. Sometimes killing is very right. Like when using the DP on murderers or killing someone in self defense who is an immediate threat to your life or the life of someone close to you ...
I agree with what you have written.

Murder can also result when someone is negligent, thus murder need not be intentional to be murder and wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.