toldailytopic: Independence Day: what does it mean to you and what are your plans thi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 2nd, 2010 10:48 AM

toldailytopic: Independence Day: what does it mean to you and what are your plans this year?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Pool party! Our new house has a deck and a pool. Sunday will be a humid ninety degrees and we're having a big gathering/house warming.

Beer. Grill. Pool. Beer.

I'm sure Tommy, Ben, Georgie, Johnny Boy, Alex, and the rest of the guys would approve.

Son of Jack

I enjoy the 4th, like any red-blooded American should. I am grateful for all of the freedoms living here affords me. I am thankful for the service men and women who fight for those freedom.

That said, I'm a bit disturbed that when I go to church this Sunday we will likely make a bigger deal out of our country than the Lord. I've seen and heard some pretty silly celebrations during "church services."

Quincy

To me it means to celebrate our liberty. I tend to do that by getting together with my lady and all our friends to have a party that last the day and night. Lots of me grilling and supplying good eats, them bringing good juice, and hopefully lots of good memories to last us for another year. :cheers:

Buzzword

This'll actually be the first year since my wife and I have been together that we DON'T do anything for Independence Day.

Every year up till now, we've gone with her dad to a big party out in the country, and have a blast surrounded by barbecue-addicted, gun-toting, pyromaniac rednecks.

Oh yes, party time indeed.

Too bad her current job is going to be spinning her wheels off from 11 AM to the wee hours of Monday morning.

Son of Jack

To me it means to celebrate our liberty. I tend to do that by getting together with my lady and all our friends to have a party that last the day and night. Lots of me grilling and supplying good eats, them bringing good juice, and hopefully lots of good memories to last us for another year. :cheers:

That sounds all right to me.:thumb:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a reminder that the founing Fathers believed in liberty. They certainly didn't all practice what they preach, but they didn't promote evil, and that is good. Speaking of Independence day; Elena Kagan hates the Declaration of Independence as much as she hates God and America. You have no right to life, not now, not ever. According to her. Her answer attempts to show judgement only according to the contstitution, and not legislation from the bench, but she let it slip what she really thinks. Not using good judgement when a judge is stupid anyway.

You have no right to life now or ever

What a horrible answer. Her answer is no. You have no rights. This is why Obama picked her, she is the worst possible choice, and that is what he wants.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That is the single greatest thing the founding Fathers said and agreed upon.

It means everything to me, and I will celebrate like granite said he will celebrate. Down some cold ones, pool, fun with the family, fireworks, grilling, barbaque. :banana:

zoo22

To me the 4th is a celebration of liberty. And a great time to spend with friends/family.

We're having a three day "open door" get-together for/with our friends/family at our house this year... Three days of afternoon/evening grilling, hanging out on the deck with whoever comes by, sangria, iced tea, beer, music, fire, my world-famous potato salad, an expansive view of fireworks at night from the deck... Friends/family three-day weekend.

The fridge is filled to the brim, the grill's clean, the guest-room is claimed/occupied, the firewood's chopped for the fire-pit, the rub for the steaks is done, the potatoes and eggs are boiling, there're steaks, sausages, salmon, halibut (caught in Alaska by friends :) ), shrimp, a small rack of ribs, yes some tofu steaks no heckling please and they're actually really good, lots of corn on the cob, beers, wines, macaroni and cheese (being readied), salad-fixings, snap peas, cole-slaw, breads and cheeses, chips, avocados and onions and garlic and fresh tomatoes ready to be made into guacamole, lemons and limes and sodas and juices and cucumbers to chop up and put in water and hopefully everyone's bringing something with them: Suggestions: We have no hot dogs this year, and no desserts except ice cream. :plain:

:)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 2nd, 2010 10:48 AM

toldailytopic: Independence Day: what does it mean to you and what are your plans this year?

John Adams wrote the following to his wife on July 1, 1776:

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more. (Adams Family Papers. Massachusetts Historical Society. http://www.masshist.org/digitaladams/aea/cfm/doc.cfm?id=L17760703jasecond. Retrieved 2009-06-28.)

Adams was off by two days, but for the most part his prediction was dead on.

Another interesting fact:

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were the only two men who signed the Declaration and become presidents. They both died on July 4, 1826, which was exactly 50 years later.

As for me, I think it is really a fun day. However, I am grateful to God and all the founding fathers of our country at the same time.

Nick_A

This year I'll be doing some free show of patriotic music at VFWs. "It's a Grand ol Flag," "Yankee Doodle Dandy" etc. Time to support those that have served to protect the freedoms we seem insistant upon losing.

rainee

John Adams wrote the following to his wife on July 1, 1776:

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more. (Adams Family Papers. Massachusetts Historical Society. http://www.masshist.org/digitaladams/aea/cfm/doc.cfm?id=L17760703jasecond. Retrieved 2009-06-28.)

Adams was off by two days, but for the most part his prediction was dead on.

Another interesting fact:

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were the only two men who signed the Declaration and become presidents. They both died on July 4, 1826, which was exactly 50 years later.

As for me, I think it is really a fun day. However, I am grateful to God and all the founding fathers of our country at the same time.

Wow!
Thank you for sharing that!
I am grateful to the Lord too,
and to those founding fathers who saw a rare opportunity and took it.

rainee

This year I'll be doing some free show of patriotic music at VFWs. "It's a Grand ol Flag," "Yankee Doodle Dandy" etc. Time to support those that have served to protect the freedoms we seem insistant upon losing.

Very Neat, Nick A!
Tried to give you a pos rep but we must need several to get them to show...

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
try to reflect on the freedoms that we still have

we are still free to worship in our own way

we are still free to vote republican

we are still free to shop for so many different things at so many different places

we are still free to love our neighbor
but
it is getting harder to do

Sealeaf

Possibly my favorite holiday. I love to relax at home, possibly go to the parade, and blow stuff up. Unfortunately I'm "essential personel" and will be working every night of the holiday weekend. I'll still blow stuff up. I am thankful to live in a state where I can still legally do that. I just will have to do it in a rush just before going to work.

The Graphite

When even our Christian leadership has committed to a strategy of compromising on "Do not murder" by supporting judges [like Alito], politicians [like Bush] and rulings that explicitly will kill certain innocent children, it is absurd for us to ask God to bless America.' ~ Pastor Bob Enyart, 1/18/06

Cracked

That said, I'm a bit disturbed that when I go to church this Sunday we will likely make a bigger deal out of our country than the Lord. I've seen and heard some pretty silly celebrations during "church services."

Yup.
Very sad - I think the pastors know better, but they organize the worship service in that way to be people pleasers. I would love to see a pastor stand up and rebuke the congregation for attempting to make secular holidays into a bigger deal than a worship service on the Lord's day.

Status
Not open for further replies.