toldailytopic: If you could live in any time in history, when would you like to live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 16th, 2010 11:48 AM

toldailytopic: If you could live in any time in history, when would you like to live?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I've always been a sucker for the 1930s and 1940s. The whole culture--clothes, music, style, literature.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd like to live in the Little House on the Prairie.

Seriously.

Dena

Maybe as a young adult in the 60's? I don't know. Sometimes I wish I knew what it was like to not live in a world so full to the brim with technology. I could just go live in the jungle. But cell phones would follow me there too, I'm sure. :chuckle:

BabyChristian

Dang, I didn't realize we had full control of our monetary possession too!

I'd live whenever, just give me a trillion bucks and I'll be good.

People are so wrong to think that money will buy them contentment.

I think I'd like to be there with Christ when he walked the earth.

Nydhogg

It depends.

The 19th century would have been interesting. A career as a colonial mercenary could be very exciting and very lucrative indeed.

Being a gangster in the early '20s would have been cool too.

And you can't really beat being a metalhead on the late Eighties.

Or a Viking on the Viking age for that matter.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

So now contentment is the same as happiness? I was pretty sure they are not. I don't remember who said it, but it was funny.

"It is true, money didn't buy happiness, but it sure made the misery a lot easier."

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Seriously.

My 96 year old grandmother grew up in a rural coal town on a farm. She was 8 when they got gas, 12 when they got electricity, and 16 when they got indoor plumbing.

She always says that people today don’t appreciate how nice an indoor flush toilet is.

Are you sure you would want to walk through the snow at 10 degrees below zero at 3:00am to go to the bathroom?

BTW, you do know that toilet paper didn't exist in the Little Houes on the Prairie days either?

Newman

I'd like to be a part of the underground railroad in the south in the 1830s-1850s-ish time period. I want to own a general store with a big porch with rocking chairs and swings out front.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My 96 year old grandmother grew up in a rural coal town on a farm. She was 8 when they got gas, 12 when they got electricity, and 16 when they got indoor plumbing.

She always says that people today don’t appreciate how nice an indoor flush toilet is.

Are you sure you would want to walk through the snow at 10 degrees below zero at 3:00am to go to the bathroom?

BTW, you do know that toilet paper didn't exist in the Little Houes on the Prairie days either?

Back then, they didn't know there was any other way of life. I wish I lived in a world that simple, without expecting things to move faster and be better all the time. Too many distractions today.

We don't need toilet paper anyway. Dried corn cobs - 2 red, then a white to see if you need another red - should work just fine.

john w

Hall of Fame
The mid 1960's, so I could be on "American Bandstand," and "Shindig." Chicks dug guys on those shows.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite quote:
I've always been a sucker for the 1930s and 1940s. The whole culture--clothes, music, style, literature.

Re: I like machine tools from that era. I've got some.

Memento Mori quote:
Not to mention being dirt poor and in an eminent war...

There's no time like the present, in my opinion.

Re: I like the present, too!

chickenman quote:

Seriously.

Re: I already do,'cept it's in the hills.

Dena quote:
Maybe as a young adult in the 60's? I don't know. Sometimes I wish I knew what it was like to not live in a world so full to the brim with technology. I could just go live in the jungle. But cell phones would follow me there too, I'm sure.

Re: I was a young adult in the 60's! It was a good time to be. After school and a stint in the Navy, I lived without much technology, however technology tends to make its' way into one's life.

BabyChristian quote:

Re: I agree, money is just a tool.
I'm eagerly anticipating Christ walking on the earth again.

Nydhogg quote:
It depends.

The 19th century would have been interesting. A career as a colonial mercenary could be very exciting and very lucrative indeed.

Being a gangster in the early '20s would have been cool too.

And you can't really beat being a metalhead on the late Eighties.

Or a Viking on the Viking age for that matter.

Re:
All of those times have their appeal. I've fantasized myself into many of those time periods.
However, I'm very happy to be living now in "the generation upon whom the end of the age has come". Presently, I don't enjoy visualizing living in a period earlier than this one. It would be a longer wait for the awesome age that is coming.

Nick M quote:
So now contentment is the same as happiness? I was pretty sure they are not. I don't remember who said it, but it was funny.

"It is true, money didn't buy happiness, but it sure made the misery a lot easier."

Re: lol

tetelestai quote:

Re: When I moved to the hills, we dug a hole and squatted; and we bathed in the creek; and we hauled water in a bucket from a 42ft well. I eventually built a shower stall outside on the porch. We'd heat water on a woodfired cookstove, hoist up a 2 gallon bucket, on the bottom of which I mounted a valve and sprinkler head. It made a nice shower. There was enough water to get wet, soap up good and rinse off. Eventually I built an outhouse. We lived that way for about ten years. We still live simply but not as 'Spartan'.

I like toilet paper!

Newman quote:
I'd like to be a part of the underground railroad in the south in the 1830s-1850s-ish time period. I want to own a general store with a big porch with rocking chairs and swings out front.

Re: Rocking chairs and porch swings are nice.

jmdeets quote:
I'd like to be alive during Christs return. Just to see the looks on faces.

Re: You just might!
We'll see!

Lucky

Hall of Fame
There's no time like the present, in my opinion.
Heck yes. I have grown annoyingly optimistic this year.
It seems like that would be the best time ever, right? "Nevertheless," (John 16:7) Jesus said, "I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you." I am definitely too busy looking elsewhere to see that the Holy Spirit is at work on this rock and yet this side of God is the better advantage to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.