toldailytopic: If the government requires that you register your existing hand gun an

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 27th, 2012 12:38 PM

toldailytopic: If the government requires that you register your existing hand gun and get fingerprinted will you comply?

Here come the liberals!

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
The Sullivan Act, also known as the Sullivan Law, is a gun control law in New York State. Upon first passage, the Sullivan Act required licenses for New Yorkers to possess firearms small enough to be concealed. Possession of such firearms without a license was a misdemeanor, and carrying them was a felony. The possession or carrying of weapons such as brass knuckles, sandbags, blackjacks, bludgeons or bombs was a felony, as was possessing or carrying a dagger, "dangerous knife" or razor "with intent to use the same unlawfully". Named for its primary legislative sponsor, state senator Timothy Sullivan, a Tammany Hall politician, it dates to 1911, and is still in force, making it one of the older existing gun control laws in the United States.

The law went into effect on August 31, 1911

Doormat

The government already has my fingerprints and DNA from my military service, knows where I live from my drivers license, and I had to complete a background check to obtain a weapon in the first place. So what's another little hoop to jump through? :idunno:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I had to get fingerprinted in order to get my license to carry. I am not sure if I would have done that if I would have known they were going to change Indiana law to allow you to go to the gun range without a license. When I got my gun you couldn't take it in your car anywhere without one, except home from the store, to your fixed place of businesses and to the gunsmith.

Son of Jack

The government already has my fingerprints and DNA from my military service, knows where I live from my drivers license, and I had to complete a background check to obtain a weapon in the first place. So what's another little hoop to jump through? :idunno:

Right. As someone else (resurrected) already mentioned, teachers have to be finger printed and have a background check done before they are allowed to teach. I doubt many people believe the rights of the teacher are being infringed upon.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Already have a Florida License so no need in being finger printed again.
As far as registering my weapons, we'll have to deal with that when the time comes but right now, no I do not plan on it.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right. As someone else (resurrected) already mentioned, teachers have to be finger printed and have a background check done before they are allowed to teach. I doubt many people believe the rights of the teacher are being infringed upon.

I could be wrong but I rather doubt if that is a federal law or that it is the case in most states :idunno:

edit: Doesn't seem to be a requirement here in Indiana.
Indiana does not require fingerprinting or a background check as part of its teacher certification process. However, some schools and school districts may require it at the time of hire. Check with your employing school for specific details.
http://www.degreetree.com/resources/how-to-become-a-teacher-in-indiana

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: If the government requires that you register your existing hand gun and get fingerprinted will you comply?

Here come the liberals!

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

The military already has my DNA and fingerprints. I have no plans on committing a crime with a gun. The only people that will get shot with one will be thugs breaking and entering my home.

Wile E. Coyote

"Obey every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake."

For the Christian it's not about Constitutional rights. It's about the Lord. I know that Christians don't like to hear this. It once rubbed me wrong too-and still does a little.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Are being a teacher and owning a gun comparable?