toldailytopic: Everyone says it's what is on the inside that counts, but just how imp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 25th, 2010 11:18 AM

toldailytopic: Everyone says it's what is on the inside that counts, but just how important are physical looks?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Aimiel

Pretty important to those who stopped to help a well-dressed woman (actress) on the show, "What Would You Do?" The average was I think 34 seconds, that she got help, every single time, after 'feinting' on the sidewalk. An actor dressed as a homeless man had several dozen people walk by, and only got help from one person, after a truly homeless lady stopped to ask passersby to call 911 for her. She stayed with him, calling him, "Bill," and then (after 26 more people walked by) one person called 911 and asked for an ambulance.

ragTagblues

Sadly while a great personality and compatibility are much more conducive to a long lasting friendship or relationship, I am also guilty of making my first judgement particularly in relationships on aesthetics.

I believe physical attraction is the initial set up that makes someone make a move.

Wasn't it also proven in a study, that I am to lazy to find, that people who are considered more attractive will find more success in life.

The Berean

Pretty important to those who stopped to help a well-dressed woman (actress) on the show, "What Would You Do?" The average was I think 34 seconds, that she got help, every single time, after 'feinting' on the sidewalk. An actor dressed as a homeless man had several dozen people walk by, and only got help from one person, after a truly homeless lady stopped to ask passersby to call 911 for her. She stayed with him, calling him, "Bill," and then (after 26 more people walked by) one person called 911 and asked for an ambulance.

This experiment has been done many times with pretty female models dressed up in fat suits. The difference in response was sad.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This is an interesting post. While looks, certainly, are one factor in the situation you described (especially with regard to the woman), I also think there are other variables here.

The homeless man most likely had an odor that would serve as a deterrant to many. Disease may also be a consideration as well as having a fragile or volatile personality.

It is easy to say (especially from the comfort of our keyboards) that we would let none of this bother us, and that we would rush to anyone's aid who had fallen (be they homeless or not), but I wonder if we would be honest with ourselves by saying as much.

I am not saying whether I would or or would not render assistance, because, honestly, I don't know. I would like to think that I would, but I have never been in a situation where a homeless person has required assistance in this manner (having fallen).

Does this make me a lesser person?

Does this mean that I have failed to help my fellow man?

Aimiel

This is an interesting post. While looks, certainly, are one factor in the situation you described (especially with regard to the woman), I also think there are other variables here.

The homeless man most likely had an odor that would serve as a deterrant to many. Disease may also be a consideration as well as having a fragile or volatile personality.
Funny you should mention odor... the first woman who the film showed reacting to the man lying in the sidewalk started and then covered her nose. I doubt, though, that the actor took the time to make himself smell for the part. He didn't need to, if he did; no one got close enough to him to smell him except the homeless lady who was trying to help him get medical attention.
It is easy to say (especially from the comfort of our keyboards) that we would let none of this bother us, and that we would rush to anyone's aid who had fallen (be they homeless or not), but I wonder if we would be honest with ourselves by saying as much.

I am not saying whether I would or or would not render assistance, because, honestly, I don't know. I would like to think that I would, but I have never been in a situation where a homeless person has required assistance in this manner (having fallen).

Does this make me a lesser person?

Does this mean that I have failed to help my fellow man?
I'd have to say, "No." If you want to know for sure there's only one way to find out.

I've been in situations like were depicted in the video, in the streets, while ministering to homeless, and suggest that you have a 'footwashing' service at your church and spend a few weekends ministering to homeless at local shelters or on the streets. It will change your life.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I am sorry to say that while they are not of paramount importance and are not what a relationship will sustain itself on; they are a serious initial, and subsequent consideration.

Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves.......seriously. :plain:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Initially, looks are what normally sparks an interest in another person. However, looks are no substitute for a beautiful heart and mind.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned

Here's how that works Aimiel:

The so-called "homeless person" has overindulged in alcohol/drugs/or anything he can get his hands on to get hiiiiiiiiiiigh and has passed out in a doorway. Passerby's see that on an average of about 20 times a day when walking the streets of any big city.

If a call is made to 911, they will in turn send out a paramedic unit to find out that indeed the "homeless person" in passed out and needs to be sent to a nearby hospital's "detox unit".

On the otherhand, the woman that get's up every morning, showers, put on clean clothes, and does that 40 hour a week work "thing", who is responsible and leads a good clean life, naturally would get more concern than some junky.

That's how life works Aimiel.

Arthur Brain

The so-called "homeless person" has overindulged in alcohol/drugs/or anything he can get his hands on to get hiiiiiiiiiiigh and has passed out in a doorway. Passerby's see that on an average of about 20 times a day when walking the streets of any big city.

If a call is made to 911, they will in turn send out a paramedic unit to find out that indeed the "homeless person" in passed out and needs to be sent to a nearby hospital's "detox unit".

On the otherhand, the woman that get's up every morning, showers, put on clean clothes, and does that 40 hour a week work "thing", who is responsible and leads a good clean life, naturally would get more concern than some junky.

Captain compassion strikes again....:plain:

In regards to the OP then then physical attraction plays its part but my closest bonds have come about through a real connection with the person and that counts for more overall. Granted I double for Shrek after a night out but still....

:noid:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's important to not look like a walrus. :eek:

You are so conceited and full of yourself.

Who are you kidding?!

You cannot possibly tell me that you do not find the Blubberous (is that even a word?) Beauty below exceptionally attractive.

:plain:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I think looks do have a lot to do with attraction, even beyond a physical level. However, different people like different looks. Not everyone will find the same physical looks aesthetically interesting. Or as aesthetically interesting. Even between two people that are both considered good looking by a group, the people of the group will not all agree on which one is the most attractive.

ragTagblues

This should be good . . . .

That's a bit of a generalization, I mean aren't you forgetting the out of work fascist cop category of homelessness?

It is a little unfair to assume homelessness is due only to their substance misuse (I will allow that id doesn't help), I mean in many cases the causes for homelessness could be for any of the following reasons - mental health, employment, family, intelligence, physical health etc. It's fair to say that the need to get 'hiiiiiiiiiiiigh' is only to run away from made them homeless.

I'm not saying getting high doesn't harm someone's case; but it is not always the sole reason for being homeless.

For instance you do get a really high number of fully functioning (you know holding down a job and providing for a family) heroin addicts and alcoholics, so getting high is not the sole reason.

Compared to a binge drinking 18 year old who would be thrown in the cells to sober up?

So they are treated differently that's for sure.

Yes, sad isn't it?

That's what all the people say . . . . :singer:

Status
Not open for further replies.