toldailytopic: Does the doctrine of Trinity matter? If so why?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 13th, 2012 09:16 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Depends. There are many types of no-trin belief. Some accept Jesus as Creator and there are some forms that claim a created Jesus. A more specific question might be --does belief in the divinity of Jesus matter? Is Jesus the Creator? This issue does matter.

Matthew 10:33 - But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

The term 'trinity' isn't salvic issue--but the divinity of Jesus is.

surrender

No, I don’t think it matters. I think it’s a worthy attempt at understanding God, though. I don’t even think determining the divinity of Jesus is salvific. What does matter is how a person responds to what God has revealed to him/her, and only God knows what He has revealed to any one person’s heart.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
No, I don’t think it matters. I think it’s a worthy attempt at understanding God, though. I don’t even think determining the divinity of Jesus is salvific. What does matter is how a person responds to what God has revealed to him/her, and only God knows what He has revealed to any one person’s heart.

Truth is absolute, not relative. Jesus claimed to be God and it does matter since a counterfeit, generic Jesus or false gospel is not salvific (2 Cor. 11:4; Gal. 1:6-9; Jude 3).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
As Francis Schaeffer points out, God's triune revelation shows that love, relationship, fellowship, communication, etc. is eternal. He was not lonely, solitary, etc. forever.

The incarnation depends on a triune understanding. There is one God (monotheism), yet diversity/plurality in the unity.

We should know God and make Him known as He is. Revelation>reason. This is a unique, distinctive biblical, historical, orthodox doctrine and we should defend and proclaim it as such to honor Him.

OMEGA

Yes, because you have to Define and Understand who and what God is

which is the basis for all understanding in and outside the Universe

and the Source of and for mankind's Existence.

The Trinity is made up of God the Father and Jesus and their combined spirits called the Holy Spirit / Comforter which is different from all other spirits given
by them and which puts the Mind of Christ into men and women to aid
them in Resisting sin so that, they can conform to God's will and eventually
be changed into Spirit Beings and Rule the Universe under God.

ChristNU

Yes it matters, for many, many reasons. Not the least of which is that the bibles pronouncement that God IS love becomes nonsensical without the Christian Trinitarian monotheistic understanding of God.

God is love, inherent in Himself as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Without that relationship already existing, God could not have "been love" before the creation of "others".

eameece

Only if interpreted with metaphysical and spiritual insight. Otherwise, it is just a mechanism for control and suppression of other religions, by making Jesus the man, the only son of God.

There is One God, not Three; and this divine supreme being belongs to all people everywhere, not to one Church.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes its important because Christ Himself stated if you do not believe that i am God, you will die in your sins.

John 8:24 That is why I told you that you will die in your sins, for unless you believe that I AM, you will die in your sins."

I AM is the name of God given to moses when moses asked what to tell the hebrew people of who sent him to them.

Many english versions have added the word " He" to the verse, where the greek has no such word and literally renders it " I AM"

The pharisees understood Christ clearly telling them He was God.

Christ said the same here: John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, I tell all of you with certainty, before there was an Abraham, I AM!"

Also saying He was God, by saying He was " I AM"

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Lon

Tough call.

Is Jesus' divinity considered part of the Trinity doctrine?
Yes. This is essentially it. If you don't worship Jesus as God, you don't worship Him at all, but rather 'esteem' or 'respect' Him, you'd certainly not be accountable to Him. You can read "I love the God of my Lord" but you don't find a lot of "I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" statements from anti-trinitarians.

Also, if you don't have Jesus as God indwelling in you, who do you have indwelling you then? A man?

Bradley D

I see the trinity as a way to try explain the divinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in the face of there being only one God.

"And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord" (Mark 12:29).

"Go you therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19).

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me" (John 15:26).

"But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him" (Corinthians 8:6).

surrender

Truth is absolute, not relative. Jesus claimed to be God and it does matter since a counterfeit, generic Jesus or false gospel is not salvific (2 Cor. 11:4; Gal. 1:6-9; Jude 3).
Only God knows what He has revealed to any one person. Period.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Only God knows what He has revealed to any one person. Period.

God has revealed Himself in Scripture to mankind. We have revelation, but now we need illumination. God does not reveal things to individuals that are contrary to His written Word.

The issue is whether God is triune or not. We search Scripture for the answer to this, not our subjective feelings (Satan will tell cultists that God is not triune and that Jesus is not God, to their eternal ruin; whatever angel of light told Muhammed and Joseph Smith their views are liars leading to deception of millions).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God is love, inherent in Himself as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Without that relationship already existing, God could not have "been love" before the creation of "others".

From a logic standpoint, this can not be refuted. The logic was with God and the logic was God. And the logic became flesh.

Became = stopped being one thing and becams something else

godrulz

Hall of Fame
From a logic standpoint, this can not be refuted. The logic was with God and the logic was God. And the logic became flesh.

Became = stopped being one thing and becams something else

Phil. 2:5-11 present participles actually shows that He did not cease to be Deity when He added humanity. The eternal Word did not cease to be God when He became flesh, so you should be more precise lest you promote an incarnational heresy.