toldailytopic: Adele, Houston, and the rest. What did you think of last night Grammy

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 13th, 2012 11:15 AM

toldailytopic: Adele, Houston, and the rest. What did you think of last night Grammy awards?

adele-grammys-2012-six-awards.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Breathe

Random thoughts during the show:
Paul McCartney is still pretty good, as is The Boss. The Beachboys have turned into geezers.
I think Katy Perry ate Russel Brand. She has gained a few.
Taylor Swift is very cute, but her voice is weak, and her song topics are too young even for her.
Wonder if Chris Brown and Rhianna went out for coffee and a beating after?
Adele can still sing the pants off of anyone else currently in the top.

Since I went to bed around 10, that's all I got. :D

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Didn't watch it but I like Adele and I'm pleased she had a great night.

Same for me. Adele is one of my favorite artists right now. I didn't watch it though.

I heard there is some controversy about them not recognizing Cornelius and James. :think:

Tolken

I don't listen to much contemporary sound...basically because most of what I do hear has little value in terms of music. Adele has a wonderful voice and for that alone she rises above the crowd. I can't forgive Whitney Houston for introducing the now pervasive psuedo affected vibratto stylings that replaces actual voice technique. Also, most people think that hitting high notes and/or screaming is somehow impressive. I did hear an Alicia Keys song recently...and to classify it as music would be quite a stretch. Fortunately there remains good independent bands, and genres apart from alleged rock, rap, and hip-hop. Also, except for probably Tonys most of the awards are politically driven...........

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Never heard of Adele and I was busy watching "Downton Abbey". I am addicted to it!

She is my cousin, second cousin twice removed to be exact.

Adele is a good singer; however, Rene Flemming would top her easy, same with many other classical singers, even the original lead singer in the "Nightwish" would clobber her, but Rene &c, are too, shall we say, "refined" in be a Grammy winner.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I felt sorry for Keys having to sing next to Bonnie Raitt. I was surprised by how good Sir Paul sounded and his new tune, way outside of his comfort zone, was pretty sweet.

Adele has a distinctive voice that's better in studio and is the strongest of an otherwise undistinguished pack. Happy for her. Thought the night's introduction was surprisingly good but the memoriam was like a poorly executed undergrad power point.

noguru

I like anything bluesy, jazzy and/or funky. So I like Adele. I liked Amy Winehouse as well. Too bad she could not learn temperance before it was too late.

I remember the first time I saw Etta James on Johny Carson in 1991. I was blown away by her ability and style.

Quincy

I dropped my laptop while surfing. It was a Dell, rolling in the deep.

That is awesome! and she just kept rolling and rolling and rolling........... and rolling rolling rolling until someone caught her attention by sitting fire to the rain.

I didn't watch it. Can't really say I care much for artists that have came out since the early 2000s or before.

noguru

That is awesome! and she just kept rolling and rolling and rolling........... and rolling rolling rolling until someone caught her attention by sitting fire to the rain.

I didn't watch it. Can't really say I care much for artists that have came out since the early 2000s or before.

Oh come on Quincy. You are starting to sound like my father now (+ 40 years of course).

Quincy

Oh come on Quincy. You are starting to sound like my father now (+ 40 years of course).

Really? :shocked: , I guess that makes sense. I dunno man, I just keep listening to the same artists. I like a few post 2000 acts, mostly in the country genre, oddly but I can't say I get excited about Katy Perry much, for example. Her music that is.

Buzzword

Really? :shocked: , I guess that makes sense. I dunno man, I just keep listening to the same artists. I like a few post 2000 acts, mostly in the country genre, oddly but I can't say I get excited about Katy Perry much, for example. Her music that is.

Same here. I like a few groups and singers from the late '00s, but beyond that it's down to a trickle.

On the other hand, I keep discovering older bands that I like.
Especially 60s and 70s rock.

Oh, and I'm just 26.

noguru

Hey, no problem man. I find myself sounding the same way sometimes. But I am always reminded of the time my father asked me "Who is that?" when I was listening to Aretha Franklin once. I told him who it was thinking that he was interested because he liked it. He said "It sounds like she's screaming."