This is not normal: A guide to what the next president will have to unwind

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
This is not normal
A guide to what the next president will have to unwind
By Amy Siskind
Oct. 16, 2020

Experts in authoritarianism advise keeping a list of things changing, subtly, around you, so you’ll remember. Days after the 2016 presidential election, I started a list. Each week, I chronicle the ways Donald Trump has changed our country. This selection, adapted from more than 34,000 entries — or about 1 percent of the total — focuses on the norms he and his administration have broken. The List offers us a road map back to normalcy and democracy.

Read the week-by-week selections from The List at the link. Here's the start:

Week 1:
“Hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory” is how Richard Spencer greets members of his “alt-right” movement gathered in Washington to celebrate Donald Trump’s victory; the group, mostly male white nationalists, responds with cheers and Nazi salutes.

Week 2:
Trump says he has no legal obligation to cut ties with his businesses: “The president can’t have a conflict of interest.”

Week 3:
Trump tweets that there were “millions of people who voted illegally”; aide Kellyanne Conway and other loyalists parrot the false claim.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says that in a phone call with the president-elect, Trump commended him on his handling of his country’s drug war, which includes extrajudicial killings about which Duterte brags.

Trump has the first known contact by a U.S. president or president-elect with a Taiwanese leader since diplomatic ties were cut in 1979.

Week 4:
Trump will continue in his role as executive producer of “The Celebrity Apprentice.”

The Republican National committee will hold its holiday party at a Trump Hotel.

Trump’s team asks for a list of climate scientists.

Week 5:
Asked why he has availed himself of only four of 31 intelligence briefings, Trump responds, “I’m, like, a smart person.”

Kellyanne Conway says Trump is looking at ways to get around nepotism rules so he can include his daughter Ivanka Trump and son-in-law Jared Kushner in his administration.

Trump criticizes Lockheed Martin in a tweet just before the market opens, and the stock craters, as traders have started to anticipate the tweets.

The president-elect excludes Twitter from a meeting of tech leaders at Trump Tower that includes Apple, Facebook, Amazon and Tesla; Politico reports that this is because Twitter’s CEO had not allowed the Trump campaign to produce a “Crooked Hillary” emoji.

Week 6:
Trump plans to keep his private security force while in office.

Trump’s team instructs the State Department to turn over a list of “gender-related staffing, programming, and funding.”

. . . .

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Screen-Shot-2020-10-18-at-10-12-32-AM.png

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's back down to the level it was before Roe v Wade? That suggests that any improvement will continue to come from changing attitudes, not laws.

Exactly. I believe it's even lower now than the graph shows, which stops at 2012. I didn't realize how high the rate was prior to 1973.

Edit: Yes lower, 13.5 in 2017. If only I'd looked back at my first graph... 🙄

Last edited: