ECT They Called It A Sect

Interplanner

In Acts 24:14, Judaism is said to have called the Christian Gospel a sect. That means in their perception, it is dividing Judaism. Because those in Judaism do not realize they have replaced the theology of the Promise with the Law.

But Paul called it the Way, and the Gospel was to be the unifying base. The Promise was about the Gospel, and Christ's resurrection sealed it with proof that Christ had accomplished what was needed. To Paul, Judaism's response to the Gospel was dividing the Way, or God's Gospel community. That was Paul's concern, not whether Judaism was being divided.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
In Acts 24:14, Judaism is said to be called the Christian Gospel a sect. That means in their perception, it is dividing Judaism. Because those in Judaism do not realize they have replaced the theology of the Promise with the Law.

But Paul called it the Way, and the Gospel was to be the unifying base. The Promise was about the Gospel, and Christ's resurrection sealed it with proof that Christ had accomplished what was needed. To Paul, Judaism's response to the Gospel was dividing the Way, or God's Gospel community. That was Paul's concern, not whether Judaism was being divided.
Could you break that down for us hillbillies again, unpack it for us? These long dissertations gots us country bumpkins scratchin' our noggins. Puh- weeze skolar us, Elmer Fudd, Jr.

SaulToPaul 2

Could you break that down for us hillbillies again, unpack it for us? These long dissertations gots us country bumpkins scratchin' our noggins. Puh- weeze skolar us, Elmer Fudd, Jr.

Yes, saint john, I was just telling Fred Rutherford down at the office about IP's propensity for posting nonsense.

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes, saint john, I was just telling Fred Rutherford down at the office about IP's propensity for posting nonsense.

I concur with your conclusion, Mayor, but I cannot really relay to "the office," as I always seem to get home early from "the office." I learned that at "state."

WatchmanOnTheWall

Sect

noun

a group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.

a group that has separated from an established Church; a nonconformist Church.

genuineoriginal

In Acts 24:14, Judaism is said to be called the Christian Gospel a sect. That means in their perception, it is dividing Judaism. Because those in Judaism do not realize they have replaced the theology of the Promise with the Law.

God always called it the Way.

Exodus 23:20
20 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.​

Paul did not think Judaism was dividing the Way.
Paul thought following Judaism was turning aside out of the Way.

Deuteronomy 11:28
28 And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.​

genuineoriginal

I doubt if the Deuteronomy 'way' is what the 1st century believers had in mind.
Maybe you should consider these verses:

2 Kings 22:1-2
1 Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned thirty and one years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Jedidah, the daughter of Adaiah of Boscath.
2 And he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the way of David his father, and turned not aside to the right hand or to the left.​

King Josiah followed the example (walked in all the way) that was given by King David in how to live a life doing what was right in the sight of the Lord.
The first century disciples followed the example (walked in the way) that was given by Jesus in how to live a life doing what was right in the sight of the Lord.
They called their sect the "Way" based on how the word "way" is used for describing how to live your life doing what was right in the sight of the Lord.
Anyone who was part of the "Way" was living after the example provided by Jesus.

Does that sound right?

Interplanner

Maybe you should consider these verses:

2 Kings 22:1-2
1 Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned thirty and one years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Jedidah, the daughter of Adaiah of Boscath.
2 And he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the way of David his father, and turned not aside to the right hand or to the left.​

King Josiah followed the example (walked in all the way) that was given by King David in how to live a life doing what was right in the sight of the Lord.
The first century disciples followed the example (walked in the way) that was given by Jesus in how to live a life doing what was right in the sight of the Lord.
They called their sect the "Way" based on how the word "way" is used for describing how to live your life doing what was right in the sight of the Lord.
Anyone who was part of the "Way" was living after the example provided by Jesus.

Does that sound right?

I'm sure they did do that, but there is also an objective meaning, which Christ used of himself: The Way, The Truth, The Life. To communicate clearly to Judaism, they mean Him when they referred to the Way.