"The Republicans are right. We in the media do suck."

Quetzal

The Republican presidential candidates are right. The media does suck.

But not for the reasons the candidates complained about Wednesday night.

We in the media suck because we have rewarded their rampant dishonesty and buffoonery with nonstop news coverage. Which, of course, has encouraged more dishonesty and buffoonery.

Hence the aggravating behaviors that candidates doubled-down on during the debate, based on lessons that we in the media taught them.
Article

I try to find the good in the Republican primaries but I just don't see anything worth any value, at all. I spent the last few days after the debate sifting through some of the most absurd inaccuracies to ever grace my television since, well, the last Republican primary debate. This article sums it up nicely.

Lesson No. 1: Lie, but lie confidently.

No surprise, then, that on Wednesday the candidates lied boldly, and repeatedly, even when their statements were easily disprovable.

Donald Trump denied ever taking a dig at Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, even though the dig in question was on Trump’s Web site.

Ben Carson denied having any “involvement” with a sketchy maker of nutritional supplements, even though evidence of this involvement (including a video testimonial) is easily findable online.

Chris Christie claimed Social Security money was “stolen” and that the system will be “insolvent” in seven to eight years, even though both claims are wrong. Fiorina recycled a statistic about women’s job losses that Mitt Romney used in 2012 and subsequently abandoned when it, too, was proven wrong.
One of two things is happening here. These candidates either genuinely believe their misguided statements are correct OR they realize they are incorrect and say them anyway. Neither of these cases, in my opinion, are acceptable for a presidential candidate!

Anyway, I am not going through the whole article but, in short, these clowns shouldn't be allowed into the White House Gift Shop. Much less the Oval Office...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Vote Carson!
13070402-celebrating-and-party-design-with-festive-balloons-floating-with-confetti-and-streamers-as-a-symbol-.jpg

Caledvwlch

Article

I try to find the good in the Republican primaries but I just don't see anything worth any value, at all. I spent the last few days after the debate sifting through some of the most absurd inaccuracies to ever grace my television since, well, the last Republican primary debate. This article sums it up nicely.

One of two things is happening here. These candidates either genuinely believe their misguided statements are correct OR they realize they are incorrect and say them anyway. Neither of these cases, in my opinion, are acceptable for a presidential candidate!

Anyway, I am not going through the whole article but, in short, these clowns shouldn't be allowed into the White House Gift Shop. Much less the Oval Office...

Yes, it was bizarre to see all of the hysterics about bias from CNBC of all places.

ok doser

dose, going back over the last twenty or thirty years, who would you say has been the best candidate? Regardless of how well they ended up doing.

ford

definitely deserved better

i liked reagan

and nixon

eisenhower was pretty good :)

ok doser

I was expecting somebody a little more off the beaten path, but that's cool.

never really been interested in the primaries until lately

Do you think Ben Carson has a real chance?

i do

especially if he runs against hillary

my gut feeling is that hillary won't energize the youth vote the way bammy did

and carson just might

Quetzal

I think a moderator should be allowed to point out when a candidate has the facts wrong. Or at least throw his own words back in his face.
I agree. They are not doing the public any favors by allowing inaccuracies to swirl around uncontested. This is especially important for low income areas that may not have access to the same resources to fact check like we do.

Caledvwlch

never really been interested in the primaries until lately

i do

especially if he runs against hillary

my gut feeling is that hillary won't energize the youth vote the way bammy did

and carson just might

I think you're right about Hillary, but I'm having a hard time seeing Carson generate any real interest either.

ok doser

I think a moderator should be allowed to point out when a candidate has the facts wrong. Or at least throw his own words back in his face.

i disagree

if a candidate makes an egregious error, that's for the other candidates to pounce on

or the investigative reporters

a moderator in a televised debate should moderate, period

Quetzal

I think you're right about Hillary, but I'm having a hard time seeing Carson generate any real interest either.
Carson is too conservative on the social issues that are trending up. He would lose on that alone barring any sort of complete meltdown in the Demo's camp.

Caledvwlch

i disagree

if a candidate makes an egregious error, that's for the other candidates to pounce on

or the investigative reporters

a moderator in a televised debate should moderate, period

It's a fair point. I would have a really hard time not fact-checking. Especially for something as easily verified as the candidates own words.

Caledvwlch

Carson is too conservative on the social issues that are trending up. He would lose on that alone barring any sort of complete meltdown in the Demo's camp.

Yeah I suppose it's hard to imagine Clinton losing to Carson, but I've been surprised before.