ECT The Power of God Unto Salvation

Danoh

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

In what sense is the preaching of the cross the power of God unto salvation?

This is a question all must ask.

For clarity on this issue when preaching the cross is critical to preaching the cross soundly.

Absent of said clarity; the preaching of the cross is rendered of none effect.

Hopefully we can ALL put our differences aside and explore clarity on this issue.

Whatever our ofen fool differences with one another; souls are at stake where this issue is involved.

Finding out after this life is over is no time to be finding out we were clear as mud behind a solid steel wall in a pitch black room...

heir

TOL Subscriber
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

In what sense is the preaching of the cross the power of God unto salvation?
The preaching of the cross/the gospel of Christ/ the WHY of the cross (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is where the righteousness of God is revealed!

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Absent of said clarity; the preaching of the cross is rendered of none effect.
Too many people are trying to complicate it and people's minds are corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ (2 Corinthians 11:3 KJV). When it comes to the gospel, we see Paul keeping it simple!

1 Corinthians 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1 Corinthians 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1 Corinthians 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Anyone, anytime, no matter who they are or what they were doing while they were there can be saved by trusting the Lord after hearing and believing 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV! If that's not the power of God, I don't know what is!

musterion

Too many people are trying to complicate it and people's minds are corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ (2 Corinthians 11:3 KJV). When it comes to the gospel, we see Paul keeping it simple!

Amen x 10!

Trying to "explain" the Gospel or "make it understandable" "relevant" "relatable" or "clear" is the reasoning that gave us the horrible religion called Christendom in the first place. It's how careers are made.

If it really is THE POWER OF GOD UNTO SALVATION, it doesn't need explaining or clarifying. It needs only to be preached, and believed.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Amen x 10!

Trying to "explain" the Gospel or "make it understandable" "relevant" "relatable" or "clear" is the reasoning that gave us the horrible religion called Christendom in the first place. It's how careers are made.

If it really is THE POWER OF GOD UNTO SALVATION, it doesn't need explaining or clarifying. It needs only to be preached, and believed.
Amen, brother!

Danoh

Great posts, thus far.

Thanks you two.

I'm almost tempted to close it before the worker ants; treadmill gerbils; and social gospelizers come along to muddy it up...

Danoh

I just remembered - I posted another 1% a month ago :)

The Simplicity of the Cross...

Do you know if there's life after this life?

Do you know where you will spend eternity?

1 Mans Problem: "Sin"

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

2 God's Provision: "THE CROSS"

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 "Christ died for our sin according to the scriptures; and that he was buried,and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures."

3 God's Gift: "SALVATION"

Romans 6:23b "...the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

4 Man's Responsibility: "FAITH"

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is a gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

5 The Result: "PEACE WITH GOD"

Romans 5:1 "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

6 The Assurance: "SEALED "

Ephesians 1:13 "In whom [Christ] ye also trusted, after that, ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise..."

7 The Life: "A LIVING SACRIFICE"

Romans 12:1-2 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

An observation...

Sometime ago, right after I had just finished walking someone thru points 1 thru 6, and they related their having trusted in Christ based on the above, I then asked them a question along the line of "so what is your understanding of all that; what is your understanding of what happens now, when you sin?"

I asked them that in an attempt to prepare them against what they were bound to run into at one point or another - the ever endless, religious treadmill of men in their ignorance not only of the sufficiency of the Cross as to its' having completely paid the sin debt, but of its power over sin.

Also, in an attempt to help get them started in an understanding of the battle they had just entered into between their new life in Christ, and their old life in Adam.

When I asked this individual 'so, now what happens when you sin?' they responded with "well, Christ died for my sins, so that means I am forgiven."

But then a smirk came over their face, much like that cartoon cat's "Sylvestor" whenever he spots his dream meal "Tweety Bird."

At which point they asked me "Wait, a minute; that means I can live anyway I want; right?" that smirk still on their face.

But when one knows the Word, rightly divided (Genesis thru Revelation in light of Romans thru Philemon) such moments do not produce the panic of "I tawt a taw a puddy tat!!!"

Rather, clarity - not only as to what one is actually dealing with, but as to how to handle such moments - is the result.

I recall thinking 'okay, they get it. Just on a handful of passages, they have been able to see that the Cross has paid for their sins. But this is a brand spanking new believer; time for some mind renewal as to their new life in Christ.'

So I took them to Romans 12:1-2, and then basically related to them that their response had been out of what those two passages assert is next after points 1-6, above.

From there, we turned to...

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

And said to them 'this right here, in Romans 6 begins to address the kind of moment you have just experienced...'

Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

I explained to them that their question about living anyway they wanted just because, where sin abounded, grace did abound much more, was basically the issue of how they had been used to looking at things prior to their new life in Christ, interjecting itself into their new life because that old viewpoint had long since become a habit.

'This is much like when you first move a light switch from a location on the wall you have been used to, to a new location; the first few days, you do what?' I asked.

"I keep reaching for where it used to be" they replied.

'Same thing' I said 'you have a new life now; time for some mind renewal...'

We explored some of that, and parted company...

But that is basically the Simplicity of both the Gospel of Christ and of the Life of Christ in the New Believer.

Romans 6:7 "For he that is dead is freed from sin."

Interplanner

That...is Basic, MAD 101 Preaching of the Cross...

MAD schmad. that is so dishonest. It is just the historic gospel without trying to find slow motion theological changes going on in the hand off from Judaism. But you have not addressed debt very clearly. It needs to be made clear to people that sin is both debt and stain. this was so well-worked out by the Reformation that there are at least two hymns that incorporate this, subconsciously.

The cross is foolishness to JUDAISM because it allows access to anyone who has faith upon Christ. This gags Judaism at the time. It was impossible for them, like Islam today, to accept that righteousness could be transferred from one person to another. For that, it is called foolish. As a missionary in Iran through the Revolution once said, Islam is one step degenerated from Judaism on just about all questions.

For some, the cross is foolish because it deals with sin as debt. There are people who accept the transformative appeal to be a better, cleaner person, but when push comes to shove, do not accept the debt problem and solution.

Danoh

MAD schmad. that is so dishonest. It is just the historic gospel without trying to find slow motion theological changes going on in the hand off from Judaism. But you have not addressed debt very clearly. It needs to be made clear to people that sin is both debt and stain. this was so well-worked out by the Reformation that there are at least two hymns that incorporate this, subconsciously.

The cross is foolishness to JUDAISM because it allows access to anyone who has faith upon Christ. This gags Judaism at the time. It was impossible for them, like Islam today, to accept that righteousness could be transferred from one person to another. For that, it is called foolish. As a missionary in Iran through the Revolution once said, Islam is one step degenerated from Judaism on just about all questions.

For some, the cross is foolish because it deals with sin as debt. There are people who accept the transformative appeal to be a better, cleaner person, but when push comes to shove, do not accept the debt problem and solution.

One that was a short form of the various issues covered.

Two; the basic MAD 101 reference was to MADs as a reference as to how the gospel is presented by MADs who are clear on the gospel of Christ; it was not a reference to a monopoly on it.

Leave it to you to read your own ideas into a thing.

Bad enough you did likewise with the power of God unto salvation.

You clearly go by your own reasoning INTO a thing.

Where's your step by step; I'll bet it is full of holes.

Or to use your sentiment - put up, or shut up.

musterion

Did you ever tell us what this gospel you've been preaching is?

Danoh

...are organically and coherently related to that. Christ was called the ultimate expression or icon of God, so we can't be much removed from it.

No they are not; one is the issues of what was Prophesied; the other of what was Mystery til Paul.

Each containing their respective means through the Cross.

Interplanner

Right.

The question is, what is man supposed to do about it? Simply believe it and be saved? Work to help accomplish it, or work to keep it? Both?

A human can't help accomplish justification. It is strictly God not imputing a man's sins to him. But a person can refuse that gift or say it is not needed, to his own peril. Once recieved it inspires him to all kinds of good things.

So your question was never about the Gospel. Your question was always about the human response. You want to know how hard or demanding or exact you can be about a human response.

Danoh

In other words, Musti; when Interplanner shares his one size fits all social gospel with people, he does not point to passages in Scripture; he just rambles out his mispercieved "wisdom of words."

Is it any wonder he so takes issue with the authority of Scripture.

Boy am I tuned into this vain parrot of an Interplanner :chuckle: