The New Covenant and God's Commands

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The commands of God are for the unbeliever and once he becomes a believer the commands of God are still for him. He may find that where he knew he had sinned before now he is a new creature and can obey freely with new desires, desires in accordance with God's word, His will, His way.

The Law has not changed. There has been a change of law.

We know what the commands of the old covenant are. We do not know what the commands of the new covenant are.

I am not saved by works. This does not change the Law. And it does not change the new covenant which came to be in Jesus Christ.

To think about:

1. The New Testament scriptures contain Jesus’ teaching including just before He died when He said this is the new covenant in My blood.

2. The commands of the Law are taught in the New Testament scriptures (along with other commands of God?).

3. Question: What commands, if any, are new covenant commands? Thinking point. The new covenant was promised in Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB. God’s law is mentioned. Is the new covenant about salvation, atonement in Christ, forgiveness of sins? Are there also different commands for the new covenant since the new covenant is not like the old? Can a Christian obey God’s Law or even be a proselyte of Israel or Judaism? Does the new covenant involve the Law of Moses, God’s commands in the TaNaKh, all of God’s commands, or only commands different from those found in Torah (and the TaNaKh or the Christian Old Testament scriptures)?

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
How many different ways are you going to ask the same question?

The new covenant Jesus referred to is for those to whom he gives eternal life by grace through faith.

The new covenant Jeremiah referred to is for national Israel.

We are spiritual Israel, not national Israel. You don't see the difference do you?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

The new covenant Jesus referred to is for those to whom he gives eternal life by grace through faith.

The new covenant Jeremiah referred to is for national Israel.

We are spiritual Israel, not national Israel. You don't see the difference do you?

I may be a part of Israel, Judaism, or even the Christian commonwealth of Israel if this is any different from Israel itself.

The new covenant is for the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

Are the new covenant commands the commands of the Law or all the commands of God?

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Luke 22:8-20 NASB - 8 And Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the Passover for us, so that we may eat it." 9 They said to Him, "Where do You want us to prepare it?" 10 And He said to them, "When you have entered the city, a man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water; follow him into the house that he enters. 11 "And you shall say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher says to you, "Where is the guest room in which I may eat the Passover with My disciples?"' 12 "And he will show you a large, furnished upper room; prepare it there." 13 And they left and found everything just as He had told them; and they prepared the Passover. 14 When the hour had come, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him. 15 And He said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." 17 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, "Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes." 19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jacob is so confused it's pitiful

I was born a Gentile, became a born again Christian at age 5, and without losing my identity as a Christian I have converted to Judaism. I observe old covenant law while being a new covenant believer.

Do you know what a Ger is?

In the Bible I learned about the commonwealth of Israel. I also learned about those who were proselytes to Israel.

So, I can say by choice that I am both Jew and Christian.

Are you a new covenant believer, a Christian?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
His forum etiquette is wearing thin.

The definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
His forum etiquette is wearing thin.

The definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Can you see that one way you can approach this thread is the new covenant without forsaking the Torah?

Or, what God's law is that He said He would write upon the hearts of those of the house of Israel and the house of Judah, which I believe took place in Jesus about 2000 years ago.

What are God's new covenant commands? Are they any different from Torah? If so, in what way or how?

What we know is that Torah is eternal. Jesus said He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. You may be a Jew, or you may be a Christian, or you may be a Jew who is a Christian.

Are there new covenant commands? Or, are there God's commands that are observed by every new covenant believer? What are these commands?

:) God bless you Tambora.

God's commands are found throughout the Bible. Gentiles do not necessarily observe all of them. Salvation is not by the Law, whether for Jew or Gentile.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What I meant by etiquette is that we would like for the forum page to have as many DIFFERENT topics listed as possible.

When you have 20 threads about the same thing, it causes those DIFFERENT topics to drop of the page, and folks are left with a page with a few different topic threads and several threads on the same topic.
That's rude and not good for the forum viewers.

Just giving you a friendly heads up, because if it continues to be a problem, mods will start deleting multiple threads on the same topic.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What I meant by etiquette is that we would like for the forum page to have as many DIFFERENT topics listed as possible.

When you have 20 threads about the same thing, it causes those DIFFERENT topics to drop of the page, and folks are left with a page with a few different topic threads and several threads on the same topic.
That's rude and not good for the forum viewers.

Just giving you a friendly heads up, because if it continues to be a problem, mods will start deleting multiple threads on the same topic.

I am here to share the gospel, but I can discuss any topic in Christianity you would like me to. As for Judaism I study Torah and Hebrew.

The topic has been different many times. Understanding the God's word is eternal is something for all Christians. Christians also ought to know what to obey of God's commands and how to obey them. Without discussion, or with objections, it doesn't make me want to give up it makes me want to share what I have learned. I am glad that some people show interest, but because God's word doesn't change, and even knowing that I am still learning, I would work through the same topics whether anyone responded or not. But I like the interaction. It does give me a purpose. I see no reason to obey God's commands on my own. But of course I want to obey them always, even if I am on my own.

It's not about trying to be righteous. We should be righteous. There are things that it is possible to do that would make us unrighteous, and we should not do them. Rather, let's talk about or discuss doing things God's way... obeying His commands.

I realize this can be seen by some to be a debate site. Learning together or sharing the gospel with unbelievers doesn't need to be argumentative however. We can just share the truth in love. People need to know they can be forgiven of their sins in Jesus Christ who died for them. They need to be convicted of their sins by the Holy Spirit. He might use us, or a discussion about God's commands, to lead someone to understand how to grow in God or even grow in Christ. We should all be in Christ after having heard the gospel.

Are you saying that when things get challenging spiritually we should shut down the messenger? I am thankful for God's grace. I want to obey God's commands. I hope you do too. Thank you for putting your two cents in, or rather letting me know your thoughts. I am not worried about mods because I have freedom in Christ and I obey God's commands. I actually appreciate forum or thread moderation, but I don't know why you would threaten me with it. I hope you are simply incorrect. That is, your basis is that it is the same topic. Well, the Bible, whether Judaism or Christianity, does deal with God's commands. We have barely begun to talk about it, but it might be enough to encourage you in your walk with Christ where you are at now.

Shalom. May you continue to know and experience God's peace, the peace of God.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Exactly, and the congregations of Jesus are not national Israel. Replacement theology is not true.

I wasn't talking about Replacement Theology. I do not believe Replacement Theology is true. I do not believe it is correct, or even that it can be or might be correct.

Jesus' church though, from your perspective, is what? Jesus introduced the church in the context of Israel, not as a spiritual version of it.