The Horror of ‘Friends’

drbrumley

The sitcom’s characters are straight, white people.

It has been 24 years since Friends premiered and 14 since Monica, Chandler, Ross, Rachel, Phoebe and Joey took their last bow, and, for a while after the finale, Friends lived on as a harmless pop culture icon, a cosy show to return to in trying times.

But this is 2019, and viewers – who have become more attuned to how fiction shapes our vision of the world – are casting a more critical eye on the sitcom. Some are reluctant to put Friends under the microscope. Is nothing sacred anymore? Is every childhood favourite destined to be ruined as we hold pop culture to higher moral standards?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
first world problems

i wonder if the roman empire had the same degree of self-absorbed navel gazing and accommodation of perverts and retards right before they fell?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
first world problems

i wonder if the roman empire had the same degree of self-absorbed navel gazing and accommodation of perverts and retards right before they fell?

Maybe so...

images

Emperor Bumptious Stultus Ludicrous

Of course, it's arguable whether or not he's a "retard."

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
I use to contribute to "Friends" scripts. I'd arrive at work at 8:30 a.m., every morning, pen my contributions every day, as "Oh My God!," and "Dude....!," and leave work at 8:35 a.m., go to a "Happy Hour Bar/Coffee Shop," and get "front row" couch seat, every morning. OMG!