ECT The Christocentricity of Acts 13

Interplanner

The promises to David are transferred to Christ.

Christ's resurrection is the fulfillment of things promised to the fathers. The normal reader may not see that when reading the OT, but the Spirit provides the light. 13:36

(Cp. Jn 12:34: the crowd: 'the law (prophets) says Christ will remain forever' Christ answered: while you have the light, walk in it!)

Christ is the light to the nations. 13:47. Israel was meant to be missionaries to the nations through Him; anyone who is 'in Christ' is a missionary for him. But no race is the light to the nations in itself. It is one of many Is 40-66 passages (and others in the prophets) where Christ, not Israel, nor its land, nor Judaism, is the fulfillment.

Interplanner

The promises to David were transferred to Christ (13:34) in same sense as 2:30,31. That's what David actually saw, not what D'ism says. 13:34 says the transfer is the resurrection:

The fact that God raised him from the dead...is:
I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David

End of discussion. They were a reward to Christ for what he had done. They were also the enthronement of Christ and all creation is to obey and 'kiss the Son.' The NT's 'reasons' are often difficult like this, but D'ism's explanations and two-group sequences are much worse and totally abstruse. The same lofty treatment of the resurrection is back in 2:30,31 as well and in 13:32-33.

re the singlular promise: nope, the grammar is 'whatever was promised is fulfilled...' As Must put it, why do you deliberate deviate from the text?

SaulToPaul 2

Acts 13
32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,

33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

A singular promise so simple that a child can understand, but not a learned commentarianist scholar.

Danoh

Acts 13
32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,

33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

A singular promise so simple that a child can understand, but not a learned commentarianist scholar.

A thought...

What was the Promise (singular) made unto the fathers (plural) that was fulfilled unto "us their" (said father's) "children"?

The passage asserts that God hath fulfilled said same Promise unto said father's children.

And the passage is not saying that said Promise was "that he hath raised up Jesus again."

Rather that His having raised Him from the dead in said children's day (back then in the 1st Century) has brought to pass the very means of that Promise made unto their fathers.

In other words, Paul does actually describe what that Promise was in those passages you cited - for he was addressing the very children of the fathers said Promise had been made to, and handed down to (they would have known what that Promise was).

Rather, he is asserting that the very basis of said Promise; the very means by which that Promise made unto their fathers would be made possible (the Resurrection of Christ) had come to pass.

At least that is his expansion on the actual sense of that elsewhere in Acts and in his Epistles, when taken as a whole.

Rom. 5:8
Acts 17:11,12

SaulToPaul 2

Psalms 132
11 The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.

Acts 2
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Acts 13
23 Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Danoh

One aspect of various of Israel's Promise?

John 1:49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

Another aspect?

John 1:51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Thus, Paul's...

Acts 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews: 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

But for the interruption of that (the interruption of its next stage - the interruption where things had been headed - towards Daniel's 70th Week) that he had also taught them...

2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. 2:16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, 2:17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Danoh

Psalms 132
11 The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.

Acts 2
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Acts 13
23 Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

That is towards making possible the Promise made unto their fathers.

According to, in line with, or towards making His Promise to their fathers possible, God had raised unto Israel a Saviour.

One raising refers to His incarnation - to His having come unto His own.

Another refers to His resurrection after many of His own so received Him not that they had Him crucified.

His resurrection proving He had been that Saviour that God had promised He would raise up (send) unto Israel towards making possible His Promise unto their fathers.

Said actual Promise was on hold, both before and by the time of Acts 13, thus, Paul's further elaboration to the Thessalonians (about it's having been interrupted) in 1st and 2nd Thessalonians, after they had Believed the basics of the DBR.

musterion

You boys need to sit down over a couple big orange drinks and pick a commentary you agree on to settle this hash.

Interplanner

The grammar about the promise in Acts 13 is inclusive: whatever God promised. THAT is the mindset of the NT. Christ is all and is in all. It has nothing to do with the land, because they all knew that was to be demolished, Dan 9, yet Messiah would succeed in the 7 redemptive things listed in Dan 9. THAT is where the edge of the NT age emerges, though it is also in Isaiah.

There is no point in reading English versions. You have to deal with the Greek.