Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Theology Thursday: The Bible is True

This is the show from Thursday August 6th, 2015

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
I debated an atheist this week on the radio. And I said to him, “I know, I know, you say we Christians have to explain evil. But you atheists have to explain everything else. Everything else. Evil exists because love requires the ability to hate. Love requires the ability to freely commit myself to the good of another. That’s love. And that means I have the ability to hate. And that’s why there’s evil in the world - because God made us with the ability to love or hate Him and love or hate one another. So I can explain evil. Now, go ahead. Start explaining everything else.

SUMMARY:

The Word of God: On today's Theology Thursday, Bob demonstrates why the Bible is reliable and gives us ammunition for those who dismiss the credibility of the Bible

* Telethon Update: Thank you to everyone who has given toward our vital $30,000 telethon goal! We're now at $21,000! Please help if you can by clicking here to make a one-time donation, or to browse our store and make a purchase, or by signing up for a monthly donation, or by subscribing to one of our video or audio Bible-based monthly subscription services!

* KGOV's 2-minute Contribution to the Viral Abortion Body Parts Videos: Prepare yourself, but then, please share...

* Video of RSR on the Pepperdine Campus: In Malibu this summer Bob Enyart warned Pepperdine University students about theistic evolution. That presentation is now on YouTube and available for viewing right here:

You can help support our ministry during our telethon buy going to our online store and donating, signing up for one of our monthly subscriptions or by purchasing any of our ministry audio, video or print resources.

HermaneuticsWEBImage__19462.1412612129.1280.1280.jpg

Today's Resource: Hermeneutics Seminar

A hermeneutic is a tool for interpreting the Bible that students use to better understand the Scriptures. Proper hermeneutics are invaluable. "Of all Bob Enyart's materials, the Hermeneutics Seminar is the best!" says Brian of Thornton, Colorado. Filmed at Denver's famous Brown Palace Hotel, Bob presents the most important hermeneutics, discusses their misuse, and gives examples of how to use them properly. This fascinating Bible study is available on MP3-CD or MP3 download. You can click to order online or call us at 1-800-8Enyart (836-9278) and either way you'll also get the extensive seminar handout and the slides that Bob presented to help folks remember each of the hermeneutics and how to use them.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The burden of proof's never been on a non-believer and I can't imagine a non-believer of any kind presuming the ability to "explain everything."

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
"Evil exists because love requires the ability to hate"?

Makes no sense. If love did not require the ability to hate then evil would not exist? And I just don't follow the logic---love requires the ability to hate. Maybe it is the other way, hate requires the ability to love. Also makes no sense.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
"Evil exists because love requires the ability to hate"?

Makes no sense. If love did not require the ability to hate then evil would not exist? And I just don't follow the logic---love requires the ability to hate. Maybe it is the other way, hate requires the ability to love. Also makes no sense.
Love requires a free choice. A computer that is programmed to say, "I love you" doesn't really love you. The reason is because the program has no choice.

gcthomas

Love requires a free choice. A computer that is programmed to say, "I love you" doesn't really love you. The reason is because the program has no choice.

You can CHOOSE your emotional responses? NOW you tell me.

(Back to reality, love is a profound emotional affection for another person. It doesn't depend on whether you had a choice of not. And given that it is emotional not rational, my guess is that love that is consciously chosen is not deep enough to be called love.)

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

I'm not sure that responds to the issue. Why does love then require hate? Is it just definitional? Up requires down? Guess my philosophy courses did not stick well.

It is however interesting that so much Christian love here seems to generate hate---hate of homosexuals, Islamists, science. Perhaps that I do understand but in my opinion the hate spewed out by some here has less to do with being the opposite of love as being a response generated by fear of The Other caused by a particular need to obey a myth.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
You can CHOOSE your emotional responses? NOW you tell me.

(Back to reality, love is a profound emotional affection for another person. It doesn't depend on whether you had a choice of not. And given that it is emotional not rational, my guess is that love that is consciously chosen is not deep enough to be called love.)

Love is an action, not an emotion. Read First Corinthians chapter 13.

gcthomas

Love is an action, not an emotion. Read First Corinthians chapter 13.

Thanks, you seem to mean something different than what the English dictionaries say. It is difficult to converse when you have private definitions for common terms.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Why does love then require hate?

Love requires the option to hate. For example, let's take 2 married men. Neither man's wife ever leaves him. The 1st man's wife has an active social life and she is free to come and go as she pleases. The 2nd man's wife never leaves him because he has her locked in the basement. She doesn't have a choice. Which woman do you think loves her husband more, the one who has the freedom to leave him or the one who does not have that choice?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Love requires the option to hate. For example, let's take 2 married men. Neither man's wife ever leaves him. The 1st man's wife has an active social life and she is free to come and go as she pleases. The 2nd man's wife never leaves him because he has her locked in the basement. She doesn't have a choice. Which woman do you think loves her husband more, the one who has the freedom to leave him or the one who does not have that choice?

Stupid example.

The one in the basement could love that and her husband more. People can be strange.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Scary Gary's a fine one to blather about the fine art of keeping your mouth shut.:rotfl:

6days

Thanks, you seem to mean something different than what the English dictionaries say. It is difficult to converse when you have private definitions for common terms.
Jefferson used 1 Cor. 13 as an example of love being an action.
"The Greek language (the language of the New Testament) uses two different words to describe and define love. The most commonly used Greek word translated "love" in the New Testament is "agape." This love is represented by God's love for us. It is a non-partial, sacrificial love probably best exemplified by God's provision for our rebellion"
http://www.godandscience.org/love/what_is_love.html

God's love for us is much more than a feeling. He demonstrated that love by paying the price of our sin, even though we were His enemy.
"For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"
Rom. 5:10

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Jefferson used 1 Cor. 13 as an example of love being an action.
"The Greek language (the language of the New Testament) uses two different words to describe and define love. The most commonly used Greek word translated "love" in the New Testament is "agape." This love is represented by God's love for us. It is a non-partial, sacrificial love probably best exemplified by God's provision for our rebellion"
http://www.godandscience.org/love/what_is_love.html

God's love for us is much more than a feeling. He demonstrated that love by paying the price of our sin, even though we were His enemy.
"For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"
Rom. 5:10

So the sin of Adam (and Eve? or just Adam?) made all subsequent humans your god's enemy. So much so that he had to send his son to earth to be tortured and murdered to appease the sin? Makes little rational sense but it is what your theology requires.