Thanksgiving And Politics

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
My family never really discusses politics except for my uncle Larry, a Republican minister. He asks you questions in rapid fire succession about your life and plans for the future. He does it to everybody. In election years he talks politics so this year he may not mention it.

This is an interesting article using cell phone data to analyze Thanksgiving visits last year.

That data came from a service called Safegraph, which collected over 17 trillion location markers from 10 million smartphones in November 2016. Chen and Rohla used this data to identify individuals' home locations, which they defined as the places people were most often located between the hours of 1 and 4 a.m.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article184726473.html

kmoney

Hall of Fame
My family never really discusses politics except for my uncle Larry, a Republican minister. He asks you questions in rapid fire succession about your life and plans for the future. He does it to everybody. In election years he talks politics so this year he may not mention it.

Politics sometimes comes up at my family dinners. My family is pretty conservative and I'm not as far right so I often say quiet and throw in thoughts occasionally. Mostly it's the fathers that like to get into it. The mothers try to avoid it. Us younger folks can take it or leave it. My sister can be more moderate on things so she can be an ally for me at times. My girlfriend is more liberal so if she's around my family will avoid certain conversations which is probably smart. :eek: Though she would avoid getting into any arguments also. She won't be there for Thanksgiving so not sure what to expect. It could be a free-for-all. :chuckle:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

This is an interesting article using cell phone data to analyze Thanksgiving visits last year.

That data came from a service called Safegraph, which collected over 17 trillion location markers from 10 million smartphones in November 2016. Chen and Rohla used this data to identify individuals' home locations, which they defined as the places people were most often located between the hours of 1 and 4 a.m.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article184726473.html

You should ask Uncle Larry about Roy Moore. Republican control of the Senate is important. This is a situation where the question of "Do the ends justify the means" become important. Prior to Donald Trump I would have assumed that Christians would have said "No".
My Turkey Day will be on the eastern end of Long Island. You can classify us as New York Liberals (with a capital L). When it comes down to it, we will all be wondering how the Republican Party will answer that question.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You should ask Uncle Larry about Roy Moore. Republican control of the Senate is important. This is a situation where the question of "Do the ends justify the means" become important. Prior to Donald Trump I would have assumed that Christians would have said "No".
My Turkey Day will be on the eastern end of Long Island. You can classify us as New York Liberals (with a capital L). When it comes down to it, we will all be wondering how the Republican Party will answer that question.
At my Republican dinner we will ask each other what the bleak future of the dems looks like. No message still, a year later. Nothing but old fogies and lame talking points. It's gonna be a Trump holiday season. MAGA

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
At my Republican dinner we will ask each other what the bleak future of the dems looks like. No message still, a year later. Nothing but old fogies and lame talking points. It's gonna be a Trump holiday season. MAGA

But no answer to my question? Do the ends justify the means?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:DK: No politics at dinner! :sibbie:

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/21/5654...ey-not-the-politics-at-thanksgiving-this-year

Most Americans don't want their family members to pass along their political opinions while passing the turkey and dressing this Thanksgiving.

According to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll, 58 percent of people celebrating the holiday are dreading having to talk politics around the dinner table. Just 31 percent said they were eager to discuss the latest news with their family and friends, while 11 percent are unsure.