ECT tetelestai and Matthew 24:30

Jerry Shugart

On another thread I said the following:

Will the preterists answer the following question?:

When and how was this prophecy in "bold" fulfilled?:

"And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory" (Mt.24:30).​

To this tetelestai said:

It happened in 70AD

Josephus wrote about it:

"Besides these [signs], a few days after that feast, on the one- and-twentieth day of the month Artemisius, [Jyar,] a certain prodigious and incredible phenomenon appeared; I suppose the account of it would seem to be a fable, were it not related by those that saw it, and were not the events that followed it of so considerable a nature as to deserve such signals; for, before sun-setting, chariots and troops of soldiers in their armour were seen running about among the clouds, and surrounding of cities."

The problem for tet is the fact that at the time when Josephus saw what he saw the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD had not yet happened. This passage demonstrates that it will not be until the great tribulation is over when all the tribes will see the coming of the Son of Man:

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory" (Mt.24:29-30).​

To see what Josephus said and when he said it go to this link:

http://www.preteristarchive.com/JewishWars/timeline_theological.html#Book_VI,_Chapter_V,_Section_2

Then scroll down to Book VI, Chapter 5, Section 3. And notice on this preterist site that we read, "The Signs Which Preceded the Destruction."

Interplanner

JerryS,
you're forgetting that the other view of the time of unequalled distress is that it took place in Judea in the 1st century, as Jesus said. You just referred to it above as being something in the future after a different event, since the ordeal of the Jewish Revolt is already historic fact.

Jerry Shugart

JerryS,
you're forgetting that the other view of the time of unequalled distress is that it took place in Judea in the 1st century, as Jesus said.

First you say that it was postponed and now you say that it was fulfilled in the first century.

I can see why no one takes you seriously!

Interplanner

What is "it"--Mt24A or B?

Then we will be communicating.

Your failure to distinguish, or ask 'what is being delayed?' is why you don't understand me.

Danoh

First you say that it was postponed and now you say that it was fulfilled in the first century.

I can see why no one takes you seriously!

He differs with Tel, on this.

Interplanner sees a gap in time between the Lord's having returned in 70AD in the person of the Roman Empire's Military to wipe out Jerusalem, Luke 21, and His delayed plan to wipe out Heaven and Earth and start anew, 2 Peter 3.

Of course, that is his notion; off-base as it is on both ends of that scenario.

He is way sharper than his fellow Partial Preterists on here; but that's about it - he is still waaaaaaaaay off.

Interplanner

That's pretty close Danoh. It's good to know you can summarize it that much. so...why did Mt21-23 build up the theme of the DofJ for ch 24?

DAN P

JerryS,
you're forgetting that the other view of the time of unequalled distress is that it took place in Judea in the 1st century, as Jesus said. You just referred to it above as being something in the future after a different event, since the ordeal of the Jewish Revolt is already historic fact.

Hi , and anyone looking at Matt 24:30 will see that the the 4 verbs in Matt 24:30 , 3 are in the Future Tense and one in the Present tense and this means that IT HAS not yet happened , so forget the First Century !!

dan p

john w

Hall of Fame
"We now live in a new heaven and a new earth. .... we now live in the new heavens and new earth...Yes, we are living in the millennial reign right now."-Tet.

"....we now live in the greatest time period since the creation of planet earth"-stupid Tet.

Tet. could not make it, to contrbute to this thread-he is at a Preterist bible conference in the Mid East:

155441-israel-general-warns-mid-east-on-brink-of-war.jpg

Interplanner

Hi , and anyone looking at Matt 24:30 will see that the the 4 verbs in Matt 24:30 , 3 are in the Future Tense and one in the Present tense and this means that IT HAS not yet happened , so forget the First Century !!

dan p

Whose future? Who said it? When did they say it? so, forget just popping in anywhere and saying ITS ABOUT ME, ITS ABOUT ME!!!