Teens Record, Mock Disabled Man as He Drowns, But Will Likely Not Face Charges

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Teens Record, Mock Disabled Man as He Drowns, But Will Likely Not Face Criminal Charges

COCOA, Fla. — A group of teenagers recorded a disabled man as he slowly drowned in a Florida detention pond earlier this month—swearing, laughing and calling out to him that no one was going to help him get out of the water.

“They were telling him they weren’t going in after him and that ‘you shouldn’t have gone in there,'” Yvonne Martinez, spokesperson for the Cocoa Police Department, told reporters.

“He started to struggle and scream for help, and they just laughed,” she lamented. “They didn’t call the police. They just laughed the whole time. He was just screaming … for someone to help him.”

The incident occurred on July 9, as Jamel Dunn, 32, went out for a walk following an argument with his girlfriend. Dunn used a cane as a walking aid, and for unknown reasons, he waded into the water.

Five teenagers, ages 14-16, who had been at the park smoking marijuana, saw Dunn enter the pond. However, instead of answering his cries for help, they turned on their cameras and began mocking him.

“Get out of the water, you gonna die,” one called out.

“We’re not going to help your [expletive]. You shouldn’t have got in,” another teen exclaimed. “Ain’t nobody going to help you, you dumb [expletive].”

Dunn soon went under the water, and one remarked, “Oh, he just died,” to which the youth broke out into laughter. They continued to watch the pond, noting that the man had not resurfaced.

None of the teens called 911 or attempted to help him, but instead uploaded the footage to Facebook.

After Dunn’s girlfriend reported him missing, police found his body in the pond on July 14. A friend of Dunn’s soon also discovered the recording on social media and contacted authorities.

The teens were identified and questioned by police, but did not express any regret or sorrow.

“There was no remorse, only a smirk,” Martinez told Florida Today.

However, although police and prosecutors are horrified by the situation, they state that the teens will not likely face criminal charges as they cannot find any statutes that would be applicable.

“While the incident depicted on the recording does not give rise to sufficient evidence to support criminal prosecution under Florida statutes, we can find no moral justification for either the behavior of persons heard on the recording or the deliberate decision not to render aid to Mr. Dunn,” the office of Brevard County State Attorney Phil Archer said in a statement.

“We are deeply saddened and shocked at both the manner in which Mr. Dunn lost his life and the actions of the witnesses to this tragedy,” it said.

Dunn’s sister has launched a GoFundMe page in an effort to raise $20,000 for his funeral expenses. He had two daughters, ages 11 and 6.

Matthew 24:12 Because of the multiplication of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold.

Do you think it should be illegal not to report a crime this way? I wonder why lets say if a person was passed out in a car backseat and their friends robbed a store, they are guilty for being there too, even if they sat in a car and one robbed a store - if they didnt report it, they are guilty as a bystander...

Do you think what these kids did should be illegal, or they should be charged in any way, why or why not?

ClimateSanity

Teens Record, Mock Disabled Man as He Drowns, But Will Likely Not Face Criminal Charges

Matthew 24:12 Because of the multiplication of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold.

Do you think it should be illegal not to report a crime this way? I wonder why lets say if a person was passed out in a car backseat and their friends robbed a store, they are guilty for being there too, even if they sat in a car and one robbed a store - if they didnt report it, they are guilty as a bystander...

Do you think what these kids did should be illegal, or they should be charged in any way, why or why not?
They failed to report a ensuing death. They also intended trauma to a person who was in the process of drowning. This could be interpreted as assisting in his death. They should receive some time in juvenile and it should be on their records. Teens capable of adult actions should be treated as adults.

marhig

People will probably think I'm harsh, but when one of my brother's was 15 he got in trouble with the police once, and we had a system in place here then in the UK called a "short sharp shock" where he was put into a type of boot camp for 3 months for teens who broke the law. And they were really tough on him. Like an army camp and very strict. And it did him the world of good, he never got in trouble again. He used to say that it was the best thing they could have done. I believe that in some instances this is a good thing to do.

Your post makes my stomach churn, how anybody could just stand by and watch someone die and then mock them is beyond me. You wouldn't believe that this kind of heart could be in people would you? It's unreal, and to put it all on social media and then be let off with it is unbelievable!

I personally think that they should be punished, they allowed a man to die without aiding him in any way. And they need to make a law against doing anything like this, and against people plastering their cruelty all over the internet, it's sickening!

kiwimacahau

Certainly in NZ they would be liable. There is a legal expectation of help here. Indeed a PC can call upon public assistance and anyone who does not help will be prosecuted.

Sent from my SM-A500Y using Tapatalk

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
If a rich white man kicks a puppy in an elevator, or hunts lions in africa, social media does its best to destroy the rich white man's life

It'll be interesting to see how the social justice warriors deal with this one

kmoney

Hall of Fame

If the definition of providing assistance includes a simple call to authorities then I think a law requiring it could be good. It would be interesting to see how something like that would work with a group of people. There is a social behavior where people in a group often don't act because they assume someone else will do something. So if a group of people sees someone drowning then how would the law separate individuals or sub-groups within the larger group. Would someone only be charged if they were reasonably the only person who could provide assistance and being in a group exempts them?

And maybe there could be a law banning filming something like this.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The previous article I read on this didn't mention that they had been smoking marijuana.

ClimateSanity

If a rich white man kicks a puppy in an elevator, or hunts lions in africa, social media does its best to destroy the rich white man's life

It'll be interesting to see how the social justice warriors deal with this one
They won't. The offenders were not white nor rich or wearing a MAGA hat.

ClimateSanity

Your post makes my stomach churn, how anybody could just stand by and watch someone die and then mock them is beyond me. You wouldn't believe that this kind of heart could be in people would you?

I can believe it. Our society produces these kinds of kids. Our schools also produce this. Our movies produce this. Our media teaches these kids that it's ok to hate certain kinds of people.

glassjester

Our society teaches them that an unborn child has no value

Why on earth would we expect them to think anybody else does, including themselves?

Right. If the event in the OP is not a result of the culture of death, I don't know what is.

glassjester

Justice demands that they be sentenced to drown while people film and mock them. An eye for an eye.

Mercy demands they not be killed.

A good punishment might be that they are allowed to almost drown (and made to believe they will drown), while being filmed and mocked.

And yes. What they did should be illegal.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I read one article that said the boys would probably not be prosecuted because Florida does not have 'Good Samaritan' law as some states do.

glassjester

Although I doubt they will be. They're probably the most popular kids in their school because of all the Facebook likes they got from allowing a man to die.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can you imagine being a family member of the man that drowned, and watching that video and hearing those cold-blooded horrid little twits?