ECT Some Reformed person (not Nang) please explain this to me

Interplanner

It has always been difficult to be in the world but not of it. Today is no different.

There are also two separate events here that have little to do with each other (the tattooing and the 'beer-fight'), as the pastor shows toward the end.

My problem would not be whether theology should be discussed in pubs (most of the necessary theological questions are discussed there already!) but the question of human gimmicks and techniques. Do we raise money for new ministries like cancer groups raise theirs? Is there no distinct utter reliance on God through prayer and then proceeding only in the direction that prayer goes?

Interplanner

They must be commended for trying. It is way too easy to circle the wagons and stay in our buildings and never be out among the masses, where you have to try something new to keep a conversation going. But again, the question is: is all this effort immersed in prayer?

As an ex., compare the L'Abri team in the late 60s. Yes, the cottage they were using was on a road used by Swiss ski tourists to get to a ski village. But the team did nothing to 'flag' those whizzing by on buses. They just prayed, sometimes all day Monday. Then, they believed that the next thing that would happen would be something directed to them from God. This is why the people who did get off right there right there were seriously interested and spread word about L'Abri in the right sense, not a mass-market campaign. And it's why the people who did come had some strange compelling story from some remote town or country and felt drawn to be at little Huemoz, the village where L'Abri located. When it is immersed in prayer, 'the right work is never 'small'.'

Eagles Wings

The churches or ministries we choose to visit and support don't get into tattooing and drinking as a means of fundraising. We would not even entertain attending such an event.

Who knows if the article is entirely factual.

Interplanner

But what if your church had an outreach person who was entirely stable about drinking while he explained parts of the Gospel in an attractive way to those interested at a tav? They would hear the message, and they would see that a person does not have to be controlled by alcohol.

Danoh

My approach is very simple...

After starting a conversation, I'll ask the person, at some point, if they ever consider spiritual matters."

Depending on my read of the individual and or situation, I might add "you know like life after this life is over; that kind of thing..."

I find that most people have reflected on such things at one point or another.

Also, that many today do not connect that question to "talk of Jesus."

We live in a society unlike the 1st Century depicted in the NT; where everyone was well aware of "the Jews and their invisible God."

We live today in a society which, unlike 1st Century societies; in which every society not only had its particular "religion" but was aware of his neighbors brand of "religion" many today don't even have that much.

In this, I find my above question, all "the gimmick" I need to rely on.

Because the issue is the same; and as a result; man's basic problem and question are the same.

There are exceptions as to those supposedly in the know, but they often prove no better off than those without a "religion."

Why?

What too often passes for "faith" and "the faith" among today's "faithful" has been so dressed up to look like the word's celebration of itself: in the hope of getting it past the world's glorying in its hedonism unnoticed, that lost in translation is "the faith."

I'm just as often reminded of this every Friday I encounter Orthodox Jews looking like the very "peculiar people" their ancestors were set apart from the world as.

And yet, their numbers continue to grow just fine.

Based on the very fact that they do not compromise their path and its outward appearance in the hope the world will accept them.

And these are people who reject their Messiah's having already been here; having died for them; having risen again; etc.

Lost people carrying on like the Protestant Believer is called to but is too often betrayed as to this by what amounts to the fool's gold of so called "spiritual" leaders.

I was once at a Bible study in someone's home. The prayer; the songs, the actual Bible study.

When it was over, they pulled out the secular music, the alcohol, and all the rest, and proceeded to live it up and work on their dance club routines.

I excused myself immediately and left. Plain and simple.

At some point later down the road, the hosting couple left...for the world.

We kept in touch for a time...but the conversation was ever one strained by the temptation of too much of a compromise...We went our ways..

What's good enough for the lost religious person, by way of the following...should be good enough for the Protestant Christian....

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

For as the Apostle of the Gentiles put it as to this very issue faced by Believers way back in the 1st Century world's rampant glorying in its hedonism...

1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Musti, thanks for that link, bro.

But just like you, no thanks; I think I'll pass on that fool's gold.

We have an answer as is - in no way in need of a dress up.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Historically, priests, pastors, and otherwise church officials were given wine and tobacco as income. They would sell it to people.

People today, with their puritan minded nonsense, try to condemn every little thing they can- diabetic over eaters are denouncing the ink on your skin or drinking a beer.

Yeah right- let the judgemental judge :rolleyes:

Eagles Wings

I strongly dislike tattoos and drinking.

Some of my favorite people have tattoos and drink. Some are believers and some are not.

Although I won't go to a fund raiser featuring tattooing and drinking, our Lord will use any means He chooses to bring His own to Him.

I've known Christians who regret getting tattoos as it reminds them of their carnal, ungodly past. I also know Christians who are planning to get tattoos sometime soon.

Our culture strongly admires and encourages drinking and tattooing, so for that reason I suggest Christians look more "soberly" at these choices.

Last edited:

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Some Reformed person (not Nang) please explain this to me

I strongly dislike tattoos and drinking.

Some of my favorite people have tattoos and drink. Some are believers and some are not.

Although I won't go to a fund raiser featuring tattooing and drinking, our Lord will use any means He chooses to bring His own to Him.

I've known Christians who regret getting tattoos as it reminds them of their carnal, ungodly past. I also know Christians who are planning to get tattoos sometime soon.

Our culture strongly admires and encourages drinking and tattooing, so for that reason I suggest Christians look more "soberly" at these choices.

Or maybe Christians have forgotten what Jesus wanted His followers to use to distinguish them as His.

It wasn't a carnal mark.

Love is the language of our Shepherd. His sheep were to be distinguished by love, not an air of superiority.

Ever wonder why Jesus was called things by religious people?

EW, I respect that you respect the differing external choices of your Christian brothers and sisters. I read it in your words.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary