Simon The Rock

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Simon called Peter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 4:18[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ The Calling of the First Disciples ] As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 10:2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John;… [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark 3:16 NIV[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]KJV of Mark 3:16.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And Simon he called Peter. Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Luke 6:14[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Simon (whom he named [call-ed] Peter), his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew,… Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 10:5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 10:32[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 11:13[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He told us how he had seen an angel appear in his house and say, 'Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zechariah 6:12[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tell him this is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Here is the man whose name is the Branch, and he will branch out from his place and build the temple of Yahwah.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 15:5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 16:17[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Jesus [Yahshua] replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on [this/that] [rock/Rock] I will build my [congregation] church,... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NASB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mat 4:18[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Now as Jesus [Yahshua] was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Simon already had the nick name [Peter/Rock] before Yahshua met him. Therefore Yahshua did not name him Rock, but was only calling him by his nick name. That would mean that Yahshua was speaking of the Father being that Rock, which is used often in scriptures. It's like saying, I call you by you nick name Rock, but upon THAT Rock [The Father] I will build my congregation. The word [church] is not scriptural. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This parable in scripture Should have been translated as: "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on The Rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on The Rock."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yahwah being That Rock. Yahwah is called The Rock many times in scriptures. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Did Yahshua want the Congregation to be built upon God The Rock, or Simon whom he called Peter?[/FONT]

CherubRam

Our Rock
Genesis 49:24
But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,...

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, they became heavy and sleek. They abandoned the God who made them and rejected the Rock their Savior.

Deuteronomy 32:18
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the Lord had given them up?

Deuteronomy 32:31
For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede.

1 Samuel 2:2
“There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2
He said: “The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3
my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me.

2 Samuel 22:32
For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?

2 Samuel 22:47
“The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

2 Samuel 23:3
The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: ‘When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,

Psalm 18:2
The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:31
For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?

Psalm 18:46
The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 28:1
To you, Lord, I call; you are my Rock, do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Psalm 31:2
Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my Rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Psalm 31:3
Since you are my Rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

Psalm 42:9
I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”

Psalm 62:2
Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Psalm 62:6
Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 62:7
My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty Rock, my refuge.

Psalm 71:3
Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my Rock and my fortress.

Psalm 78:35
They remembered that God was their Rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer.

Psalm 89:26
He will call out to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.’

Psalm 92:15
proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Psalm 94:22
But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the Rock in whom I take refuge.

Psalm 95:1
Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm 144:1
Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Isaiah 17:10
You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines,...

Isaiah 26:4
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.

Isaiah 30:29
And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the Rock of Israel.

Isaiah 44:8
Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

Isaiah 51:1
“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the Lord: Look to the Rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn;

Habakkuk 1:12
Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.

Jerry Shugart

Matthew 16:17[/FONT] Jesus [Yahshua] replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on [this/that] [rock/Rock] I will build my [congregation] church,... [/FONT]

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven" (Mt.16:17-19).​

Here the Lord refers to the "keys of the kingdom of heaven," the same kingdom referred to here by the Lord Jesus:

"From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand"
(Mt.4:17).​

Since the nation of Israel failed to recognize the Lord Jesus as their promised Messiah the setting up of the earthly kingdom has been postponed until the return of the Lord Jesus to earth:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand" (Lk.21:27-31).​

It will not be until the kingdom is brought to earth when the Apostles will "bind on earth" what "shall be bound in heaven." That will not happen until the Apostles will sit upon twelve tribes judging the twelve tribes of Israel in the kingdom:

"That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel" (Lk.22:30).​

This speaks of the millennial reign of the Lord Jesus, the time when Israel will be restored to her previous position of being a special people unto the Lord. Therefore the "keys of the kingdom of heaven" have nothing to do with what is happening now within the Body of Christ.

marhig

[FONT=&quot]Simon called Peter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 4:18[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][ The Calling of the First Disciples ] As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 10:2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John;… [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark 3:16 NIV[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]KJV of Mark 3:16.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And Simon he called Peter. Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Luke 6:14[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Simon (whom he named [call-ed] Peter), his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew,… Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 10:5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 10:32[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 11:13[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He told us how he had seen an angel appear in his house and say, 'Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zechariah 6:12[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tell him this is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Here is the man whose name is the Branch, and he will branch out from his place and build the temple of Yahwah.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 15:5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 16:17[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Jesus [Yahshua] replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on [this/that] [rock/Rock] I will build my [congregation] church,... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NASB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mat 4:18[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Now as Jesus [Yahshua] was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Simon already had the nick name [Peter/Rock] before Yahshua met him. Therefore Yahshua did not name him Rock, but was only calling him by his nick name. That would mean that Yahshua was speaking of the Father being that Rock, which is used often in scriptures. It's like saying, I call you by you nick name Rock, but upon THAT Rock [The Father] I will build my congregation. The word [church] is not scriptural. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This parable in scripture Should have been translated as: "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on The Rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on The Rock."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yahwah being That Rock. Yahwah is called The Rock many times in scriptures. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Did Yahshua want the Congregation to be built upon God The Rock, or Simon whom he called Peter?[/FONT]

The rock is the revelation that Peter received from God, and that revelation is that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God. We receive this revelation from the father. And upon that rock the church is built, the rock is Christ who is revealed into our hearts by the father.

Matthew 16:17

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Once we believe, have faith and our eyes are opened to know that Jesus is the Christ the son of the living God, then we become another living stone in the church living through Christ by the power of the spirit and living by the will of God. And the church is being built with Christ as our cornerstone, our rock, and he is our perfect example to follow.

The father gives us revelation, and he strengthens us by the holy spirit through Christ who is our rock by the power of God, Christ is our cornerstone our only example to go back to, to keep the church straight if we truly follow him. And our foundation is the apostles and the prophets who Christ was in by the spirit.

1 Corinthians 10

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

jsanford108

I assume you wish for me to respond here to the verse on Peter the rock.

Let us examine the original Greek words for Peter and rock. "You are called Petros, and on this petra I will build my church." That seems pretty concise. But Petros is masculine. Petra is feminine. So let us get even more historically accurate. What language would Christ and Peter have been speaking? Aramaic. The verse, with Aramaic labels would read, "You are Ke'pha, and upon this ke'pha I will build my church."

See the difference that knowledge of language and culture can make. Let us go even further. When Peter is first introduced, he is Simon. Only after this renaming is he called Peter. After all, the gospels and New Testament letters were written after Peter's naming. So they would know him by his new name. Like Saul, after the event on the road to Damascus, was never called "Saul" again, rather "Paul." Abram, after being given a new name (the verse saying "You are now called Abraham") was never called by a name other than Abraham. Does it not align that the same can be attributed to Peter? From this rational, combined with the accurate portray and study of Christ's words to Peter, we can deduce that he is "the rock" upon which Christ would build his Church, in the new and eternal covenant.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Did Yahshua want the Congregation to be built upon God The Rock, or Simon whom he called Peter?

Why do you believe Jesus told Simon he was the cornerstone? All Jesus said is that Peter was the stone on which the Father's spiritual household would be built through Jesus Christ.

Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 2:4-5)​

The keys to the kingdom: "Then Peter said to them, 'Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.'" (Acts 2:38-39)

marhig

I assume you wish for me to respond here to the verse on Peter the rock.

Let us examine the original Greek words for Peter and rock. "You are called Petros, and on this petra I will build my church." That seems pretty concise. But Petros is masculine. Petra is feminine. So let us get even more historically accurate. What language would Christ and Peter have been speaking? Aramaic. The verse, with Aramaic labels would read, "You are Ke'pha, and upon this ke'pha I will build my church."

See the difference that knowledge of language and culture can make. Let us go even further. When Peter is first introduced, he is Simon. Only after this renaming is he called Peter. After all, the gospels and New Testament letters were written after Peter's naming. So they would know him by his new name. Like Saul, after the event on the road to Damascus, was never called "Saul" again, rather "Paul." Abram, after being given a new name (the verse saying "You are now called Abraham") was never called by a name other than Abraham. Does it not align that the same can be attributed to Peter? From this rational, combined with the accurate portray and study of Christ's words to Peter, we can deduce that he is "the rock" upon which Christ would build his Church, in the new and eternal covenant.

No Christ is our rock he is our cornerstone, not Peter. And God the father is our strength, and we are strengthened through Christ by the power of the spirit. Jesus Christ is the way the truth as the life. Not Peter!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Does it not align that the same can be attributed to Peter? From this rational, combined with the accurate portray and study of Christ's words to Peter, we can deduce that he is "the rock" upon which Christ would build his Church, in the new and eternal covenant.

:thumb: And we know Jesus was addressing Cephas in Aramaic because of his usage of Simon bar Jonah.

Simon bar Jonah is Aramaic, Simon ben Jonah would have been Hebrew.

The term "peter" in Hebrew means firstborn.

jsanford108

No Christ is our rock he is our cornerstone, not Peter. And God the father is our strength, and we are strengthened through Christ by the power of the spirit. Jesus Christ is the way the truth as the life. Not Peter!

So Christ was just blowing smoke when He told Peter he was the rock upon which Christ would build His Church? Your point would have to deduce that Christ just like saying things for no reason, or that He contradicted Himself.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No Christ is our rock he is our cornerstone, not Peter.

Jesus did not say that Cephas was the cornerstone. Do you believe any building just has a cornerstone and nothing else? No other stones?

Jesus said, "And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:19)

Did Jesus give the keys to himself? Does that make sense?

marhig

So Christ was just blowing smoke when He told Peter he was the rock upon which Christ would build His Church? Your point would have to deduce that Christ just like saying things for no reason, or that He contradicted Himself.

It was the revelation that Peter received that was the rock, and that rock came from the God the father. And that rock is the revelation that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God. That's why Jesus said that flesh and blood had not revealed this to Peter, but his father who is in heaven.

And we build on that rock once it is revealed to us that Jesus is the Christ, and it is then that we become living stones built upon the chief cornerstone Christ.

And it is upon that rock that the church is built. We are not built on Peter, we are built on Christ he is our cornerstone, not Peter!

marhig

Jesus did not say that Cephas was the cornerstone. Do you believe any building just has a cornerstone and nothing else? No other stones?

Jesus said, "And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:19)

Did Jesus give the keys to himself? Does that make sense?

Where did I say that Jesus said that cephas was the cornerstone? I never.

Jesus is the cornerstone and those who truly follow him are the lively stones and they are those who are the church through Christ by the power of the spirit.

john w

Hall of Fame
This parable in scripture Should have been translated as: "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on The Rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on The Rock."

Another bible corrector, in contrast to bible believer.

Next.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Where did I say that Jesus said that cephas was the cornerstone? I never.

Someone said, "No Christ is our rock he is our cornerstone, not Peter."

That was said as if someone thought I was claiming Cephas was the cornerstone, which I wasn't.

For some reason I thought it was you.

CherubRam

You guys are following the Catholic teaching, where by reason of succession through Peter, the Catholic church is the head of Christianity. Matthew 16:17. Jesus [Yahshua] replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, [and / but] upon [this/that] [rock/Rock] I will build my [congregation] church,...

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Most likely this is how the verse originally read.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 16:17. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yahshua replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And upon that Rock I will build my congregation...[/FONT]

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Most likely this is how the verse originally read.

Matthew 16:17.
Yahshua replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And upon that Rock I will build my congregation...

And then Jesus gave that "rock" the keys to the kingdom realizing the NT church could not be built until after he was dead.

That does not compute.

The Holy Spirit always works through humans.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Someone said, "No Christ is our rock he is our cornerstone, not Peter."

That was said as if someone thought I was claiming Cephas was the cornerstone, which I wasn't.

For some reason I thought it was you.

Well sister, I believe you said Peter is the cornerstone.