"Rocket propelled grenades"

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
"Nihilo was busy not answering the RPG question and addressing the elephant in his argument"

I was busy doing other things, but, continuing...
"In common use." That means standard issue service rifles, at a minimum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_rifle

As I said.
At a minimum. Neatly ambiguous.
Just let me know where the ambiguity is, and I'll stomp it right flat.
I also noted the problem with people who claim fetters are problematic while offering their own.
The smokeless powder M-4 selective-fire carbine today, is the Lexington Minuteman's black powder muzzleloader, and vice versa. Any of the world's armed forces' standard issue service rifle is in mind in the Second Amendment's "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
You didn't have an answer for that and don't present one here.
Supra.
Neither did Yor.
That's not my business.
And so the point and problem remain for you.
False.
Now if you really want to continue to talk about this the thread and conversation are still right where you left it.
That thread's a mess.
NRA spokesmen
No.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Nihilo was busy not answering the RPG question and addressing the elephant in his argument"

I was busy doing other things, but, continuing...Just let me know where the ambiguity is, and I'll stomp it right flat.
"At a minimum" is a bit ambiguous and that led to my question about RPGs. Certainly servicemen carry them and use them.

The smokeless powder M-4 selective-fire carbine today, is the Lexington Minuteman's black powder muzzleloader, and vice versa. Any of the world's armed forces' standard issue service rifle is in mind in the Second Amendment's "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
The right itself isn't inherently infringed by not affording anyone every sort of weapon, a thing you seem to recognize, at a minimum. Once you recognize that the door is open to discuss how the sorts of weapons we've produced call for a different list.

You're wrong, supra. Saying you aren't isn't an answer or a counter.

If I put your position and the NRA's position on gun control side by side what's the difference?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
"At a minimum" is a bit ambiguous and that led to my question about RPGs. Certainly servicemen carry them and use them.

The right itself isn't inherently infringed by not affording anyone every sort of weapon, a thing you seem to recognize, at a minimum. Once you recognize that the door is open to discuss how the sorts of weapons we've produced call for a different list.

You're wrong, supra. Saying you aren't isn't an answer or a counter.

If I put your position and the NRA's position on gun control side by side what's the difference?
Why does anybody have the right to own any weapon?

Why do the world's armed forces have the right to own RPGs, but not weaponized nerve agents?

I think I'm just stumbling around with the words: power/ability, right, and permission.

Does anybody have the right to own any weapon? Or do we either have or have not the power, and if we have the power, then we can permit someone else?

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why does anybody have the right to own any weapon?
A different conversation.

Why do the world's armed forces have the right to own RPGs, but not weaponized nerve agents?

I think I'm just stumbling around with the words: power/ability, right, and permission.

Does anybody have the right to own any weapon? Or do we either have or have not the power, and if we have the power, then we can permit someone else?
I think the right was institutionalized for largely outdated reasons that were compelling and necessary at the time of codification. It's a little like slavery. There was a time when the nature of civilization largely required it, but this isn't that time. As to its future, let future generations hash out their comfort level with it. I'm mostly interested in a less philosophical, more pragmatic discussion about limiting the loss of life and injury with relatively simple, intelligent regulations of how we process things. If you want to possess a lethal instrument you should be able to handle it responsibly and it's a compelling interest of your neighbors that you understand that prior to pointing it in the direction of their property and persons. If you're mentally ill you shouldn't be permitted to own it. There's no reasonable justification for large clips, semi and automatic weapons that isn't overwhelmed by the negatives, both in potential and historical frameworks, but where we draw the lines and how should be part of a large and open discussion.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I think the right was institutionalized for largely outdated reasons that were compelling and necessary at the time of codification. It's a little like slavery. There was a time when the nature of civilization largely required it, but this isn't that time. As to its future, let future generations hash out their comfort level with it. I'm mostly interested in a less philosophical, more pragmatic discussion about limiting the loss of life and injury with relatively simple, intelligent regulations of how we process things. If you want to possess a lethal instrument you should be able to handle it responsibly and it's a compelling interest of your neighbors that you understand that prior to pointing it in the direction of their property and persons. If you're mentally ill you shouldn't be permitted to own it. There's no reasonable justification for large clips, semi and automatic weapons that isn't overwhelmed by the negatives, both in potential and historical frameworks, but where we draw the lines and how should be part of a large and open discussion.
Thanks for engaging.

No harm is done in possessing twenty loaded 20-round magazines, for and with a selective-fire assault rifle, with a silencer on it, and a flash suppressor and a collapsing stock with a pistol grip. Libel is always harmful, 100 percent guaranteed every time, because otherwise it’s not libel, libel’s a crime, and there’s no right to commit a crime, it’s not an infringement on your right to speak freely, it’s an infringement on a fictional right that you seem to think you have to libel people. The freedom of speech doesn’t grant you permission to commit crimes, any more than the RKBA does. You’re only infringing the RKBA. It’s already a crime to commit a crime. If you had your way, you’re only infringing the RKBA. You can argue repeal or amendment of the Second, but you can’t infringe. That’s not an option, according to the plain reading of the Second Amendment.

Pointing a gun at a person should be a crime, if it's not already. That's also one of the NRA's handful of gun safety rules, that we haven't talked about yet, is the NRA's primary purpose, which is to promote gun safety. One of these safety rules, is to never point a gun muzzle at anything that you're not OK getting shot. This makes a plain legal principle in determining when a crime is being committed with a gun. If you point it at me, that's a crime.

Libel's a crime because it harms. Pointing an empty gun at someone isn't a crime, self-evidently, so we'd be sometimes making people criminals, like hollywood actors, who have to sometimes point guns at other people, because it's part of a scene sequence, to outlaw pointing a gun at someone. But every deliberate shooting is preceded by pointing the gun at someone, which should be a crime if it is not, because it is a clear and present danger, and is either like assault, or is assault, assault being the corollary to battery, where it is the threat of force, and battery is the force itself.

" . . . like slavery. There was a time when the nature of civilization largely required it, but this isn't that time." That's completely wrong. Slavery was always immoral. Just because a culture practices immorality regularly and it's encouraged and tolerated and celebrated and even introduced to young children well before the age of consent, does not somehow force us to develop an amoral explanation that rescues the transgressors from their sins.

I want to talk about whether or not there's a right to possess any weapon, for anybody, and analyze why it is so, because either it will be fruitful, or we'll learn that perhaps the whole notion of right, is wrong.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thanks for engaging.
:cheers:

No harm is done in possessing twenty loaded 20-round magazines, for and with a selective-fire assault rifle, with a silencer on it, and a flash suppressor and a collapsing stock with a pistol grip.
There's no harm in owning a bazooka. The laws that allow any reasonable, law abiding person to own and use any of that without harming a soul also allow those who would or will use them to harm a great many. And the question becomes one of cost/benefit analysis, along with a serious look at the changes between the less fettered inception of the idea and our current state.

Libel is always harmful
You miss my point, which is that we recognize speech of any type isn't responsible or permissible, and yet too often refuse the same consideration when it comes to guns. At least we limit that understanding to the most extreme and absurd, where any effort to defend the possession would be so patently ridiculous few attempt it. So we do recognize that a bazooka isn't something we should allow people to own and carry about while pretending that silencers, large magazines, and bump stocks are somehow different. But they only differ by degree and so the degree is our real consideration in that balancing act. What do we gain against what we lose and for what larger purpose in justifying the line. Or, we have to consider the use, the benefit, and the danger when making sensible law that respects the right, but not as something unrestricted.

Since none of us are arguing for RPGs and bazookas, we all understand that argument is meritorious on its face. Those who don't won't be a part of the conversation because they don't speak the same rational language. It's as pointless as arguing property lines with a communist.

, 100 percent guaranteed every time, because otherwise it’s not libel, libel’s a crime, and there’s no right to commit a crime, it’s not an infringement on your right to speak freely, it’s an infringement on a fictional right that you seem to think you have to libel people.
Rather, we made it a crime. Speaking your mind freely would involve uttering any thought you desired to voice. The law followed the ability and/or right. And were there no law we could (and many likely would) speak any manner of vileness without regard for much more than its efficacy. That's the danger in any unfettered right. It assumes a virtuous intent absent in too many. And so the law restrains.

Pointing a gun at a person should be a crime, if it's not already.
It is, absent cause or assumption of risk (and only the latter with a great many caveats). It would be putting them in reasonable apprehension of your working a harm to them.

That's also one of the NRA's handful of gun safety rules, that we haven't talked about yet, is the NRA's primary purpose, which is to promote gun safety.
As far as I'm aware, they have rejected any effort to mandate safety courses as an obligation of ownership.

Libel's a crime because it harms. Pointing an empty gun at someone isn't a crime
Pointing an empty gun at someone can harm them as well, can induce everything from fear to a heart attack, to a violent act in response. That's why cause is important. If I am in reasonable apprehension of harm the person who puts me there is guilty of an assault.

, self-evidently, so we'd be sometimes making people criminals, like hollywood actors, who have to sometimes point guns at other people, because it's part of a scene sequence, to outlaw pointing a gun at someone.
Different animal, because the people engaging in role play understand that the weapons used aren't presenting a danger of serious harm and because they've accepted by contract a degree of risk involved in their endeavor.

" . . . like slavery. There was a time when the nature of civilization largely required it, but this isn't that time."
That's completely wrong. Slavery was always immoral.
I didn't speak to the morality, only the necessity, the institution of it in one age that cannot be seen as justification for it in any, though depending on what we mean by the term (distinguishing the Biblical from what Western civilization and other civilizations did with it) there's an argument to be had on the question of morality.

I want to talk about whether or not there's a right to possess any weapon, for anybody, and analyze why it is so, because either it will be fruitful, or we'll learn that perhaps the whole notion of right, is wrong.
An inherent right to a weapon? No. I'd say the need for weapons came with man's fall and that it is an expression of his sinful nature as a moral examination. As a construct of law? Any compact can decide what constitutes the rule of law and provide for the ownership of weapons for some legitimate function.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
:cheers:

There's no harm in owning a bazooka. The laws that allow any reasonable, law abiding person to own and use any of that without harming a soul also allow those who would or will use them to harm a great many.
No law allows murder.
And the question becomes one of cost/benefit analysis, along with a serious look at the changes between the less fettered inception of the idea and our current state.

You miss my point, which is that we recognize speech of any type isn't responsible or permissible, and yet too often refuse the same consideration when it comes to guns.
Laws forbidding libel do not infringe upon the right to free speech. They deny that libel is free speech. We have no right to libel. And I agree with those laws, just as I agree that yelling "fire" in a non-burning theater full of non-deaf people is not free speech.
At least we limit that understanding to the most extreme and absurd, where any effort to defend the possession would be so patently ridiculous few attempt it. So we do recognize that a bazooka isn't something we should allow people to own and carry about while pretending that silencers, large magazines, and bump stocks are somehow different. But they only differ by degree and so the degree is our real consideration in that balancing act. What do we gain against what we lose and for what larger purpose in justifying the line. Or, we have to consider the use, the benefit, and the danger when making sensible law that respects the right, but not as something unrestricted.

Since none of us are arguing for RPGs and bazookas, we all understand that argument is meritorious on its face. Those who don't won't be a part of the conversation because they don't speak the same rational language. It's as pointless as arguing property lines with a communist.

Rather, we made it a crime.
I don't think so. Libel is a crime, because it does harm. It is inherently criminal. It is malum in se. We don't "make" things that are inherently criminal or evil or wicked, criminal or evil or wicked, with laws. We protect the innocent with just laws, justly enforced.
Speaking your mind freely would involve uttering any thought you desired to voice.
That's naive, if you're going to equate free speech with "speaking your mind freely."
The law followed the ability and/or right. And were there no law we could (and many likely would) speak any manner of vileness without regard for much more than its efficacy.
Yes, we could, we have the ability/power to do this, but just law protects the innocent, evidencing that innocent people have the right to not be harmed; the right to not be libeled in this case.
That's the danger in any unfettered right.
There is no right to commit a crime.
It assumes a virtuous intent absent in too many. And so the law restrains.

It is
Good. We have the right to not have someone point a gun at us, and the law forbidding this is just.
, absent cause or assumption of risk (and only the latter with a great many caveats). It would be putting them in reasonable apprehension of your working a harm to them.

As far as I'm aware, they have rejected any effort to mandate safety courses as an obligation of ownership.
In this case, one of the NRA's top gun safety rules is already law. I have never heard the NRA say that we should strike down laws forbidding pointing a gun at innocent people.
Pointing an empty gun at someone can harm them as well, can induce everything from fear to a heart attack, to a violent act in response. That's why cause is important. If I am in reasonable apprehension of harm the person who puts me there is guilty of an assault.
Which is what I said before you clipped the rest of the sentence.
Different animal, because the people engaging in role play understand that the weapons used aren't presenting a danger of serious harm and because they've accepted by contract a degree of risk involved in their endeavor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death

'Seems like the same animal to me.
" . . . like slavery. There was a time when the nature of civilization largely required it, but this isn't that time."

I didn't speak to the morality, only the necessity, the institution of it in one age that cannot be seen as justification for it in any, though depending on what we mean by the term (distinguishing the Biblical from what Western civilization and other civilizations did with it) there's an argument to be had on the question of morality.

An inherent right to a weapon? No.
You believe there's an inherent right to life? To defend oneself?
I'd say the need for weapons came with man's fall and that it is an expression of his sinful nature as a moral examination.
So this side of Glory then, there remains a need for weapons, right?
As a construct of law? Any compact can decide what constitutes the rule of law and provide for the ownership of weapons for some legitimate function.
Do you use some sort of objective standard for determining what is "legitimate?"

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No law allows murder.
What I wrote was, "The laws that allow any reasonable, law abiding person to own and use any of that without harming a soul also allow those who would or will use them to harm a great many."

And that's true. The laws that allow the means for destruction enable those who would destroy, even if that destruction runs contrary to the law's intent.

Laws forbidding libel do not infringe upon the right to free speech.
It depends on whether or not you believe rights only exist without curtailment. If so, you're wrong. If not, we're just arguing about where the reasonable line for curtailment should be.

We have no right to libel.
Because that's where we drew the line, for perfectly good reasons. You aren't free to say anything you like (at least not without breaking the law). The same is and should be true for gun rights and our approach to them, which should be rooted in reason.

That's naive, if you're going to equate free speech with "speaking your mind freely."
Hey, I believe in restrictions on speech. And guns.

Yes, we could, we have the ability/power to do this, but just law protects the innocent, evidencing that innocent people have the right to not be harmed; the right to not be libeled in this case.
They also have a right to the quiet enjoyment of their person and property. Guns and aids of the sort I'm noting place that in jeopardy, place their fundamental right to be, without which no right is meaningful, in jeopardy. The compact has an essential interest in preserving right and the foundation of right. The rest is a balancing.

You believe there's an inherent right to life?
I've fought for it for years, as a rationalist first and then as a Christian.

To defend oneself?
Absolutely.

So this side of Glory then, there remains a need for weapons, right?
I wasn't predicating the right to bear arms on the right to self defense, but for the foreseeable future I'd say sure. Even if the statistics don't support it as an effective means compared to other issues.

Do you use some sort of objective standard for determining what is "legitimate?"
I was speaking of the state, but sure. I use reason. For instance, is it reasonable to have the means to defend yourself and your home from invasion by someone who might mean to take from you what they have no right to take and/or to harm you in the process or as an aim? Of course it is. We have the right to our being and to preserve it against unlawful acts or no right is meaningful. Is it reasonable that a person be permitted hand grenades to affect that end? Of course it isn't. The person doing so endangers himself and his neighbor along with the intruder(s) and there are alternate means to achieve the desired result while minimizing the risk to the innocent. The rest is in the examination of why and what constitutes the reasonable response to a particular need and situation.