Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Rethinking Church Youth Groups

Thursday March 3rd, 2005. This is show #44.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW
Christopher Schlect: The idea that it's good to segregate or separate people according to age, it's like the air that we breath, we don't think about it, it's just assumed and we never step outside of ourselves and ask, "Where did this come from?," not realizing that perhaps Moses or David or Solomon or Peter or Paul would have been culture-shocked at that.

Bob Enyart: I don't think I can make an argument from the Bible...that I can say, look, these verses prove that a youth group is immoral. I don't have strong verses like that but I have...plenty of verses that speak of the benefits of the young and the old together learning from one another.

Christopher Schlect: That's right. The vision for the Body of Christ, the interaction of God's people, is clearly one that is coeducational (men and women together). It's clearly transgenerational and that's just the fabric, the warp and woof of everyday life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Mr. 5020

So basically, he has no real argument against youth groups.
What Biblical basis is there for youth groups?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

I think it's there next to the verse for church membership.
Exactly. There's no Biblical basis for either one.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by billwald

There needs to be a variety of activities.
Why?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

But who is preaching against church membership?
Me. I attend churches but I will never become a member of one. What's the point?

julie21

I've been running a 2 hour Youth Group program for 11-13 yr olds at our church for the past year or so. In that, we have activities/games, mingled with opportunities for praising God and recognising Him in our lives. The last half hour is a study or activities that are discipleship based...this time is voluntary in that the kids can stay or go...no-one has chosen to go yet.
At first, the night was attended only by Corps kids, but then I canvassed the local primary school and we had an influx of kids. Some cme for a while, but there was a group that stayed and are here now. Out of this group of kids from the school, only one goes to a church. The others are keen ech week to do the study, answer questions and ask questions. They are a blessing!
...of course, our numbers are no-where near those you in the US get to youth groups, but I feel that if they have a discipleship plan incorporated, then where is the harm?
Our youth group kids are still mingling with the older Christians in Church on Sundays;through a mentoring system ;being part of the worship team and of course, their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.