Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reason #596 To Pull... Out Your Hair

This is the show from Tuesday August 13th, 2013

Summary:

Bob Enyart reports the news as only BEL can do. From the Philly pastor urging a boycott of the public schools, to Gov. Moon Beam signing a law to allow students to pick whether they'll use the boys or girls locker rooms, to Michelle Obama not disqualifying a rap album (by singing on it), to Greenland's ice melting... because of geothermal rather than atmospheric heat, to waking up with Bono on Africa.

Christian Liberty

This is what happens when conservatives throw away their principles of limited government in exchange for big government done their way.

The effort to try to Christianize the public schools is evil. Only abolition is a valid goal.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
This is what happens when conservatives throw away their principles of limited government in exchange for big government done their way.

The effort to try to Christianize the public schools is evil. Only abolition is a valid goal.
Yup.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What if some communities don't want to abolish them? Will you force them to do so, anyway? And if so, how is that consistent with libertarianism?

Christian Liberty

What if some communities don't want to abolish them? Will you force them to do so, anyway? And if so, how is that consistent with libertarianism?

Is allowing theft libertarian?

That said, I do generally support decentralization. I'd still rather decisions like this be made community by community instead of for the entire country simultaneously.

That said: If a public school's attendance was voluntary and it was NOT paid for by theft, it would not classify as "Public school."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Is allowing theft libertarian?

Forcing communities to give up public schools isn't theft in the strict sense. You don't "steal" rights. But clearly, imposition of such an order against them would be an abuse of power.

That said, I do generally support decentralization. I'd still rather decisions like this be made community by community instead of for the entire country simultaneously.

That's how we got public schools in the first place. There was some limited federal help in the beginning, but mostly it was from the community, where most of it still resides.

That said: If a public school's attendance was voluntary and it was NOT paid for by theft, it would not classify as "Public school."

It comes down to whether or not taxation is theft. The Founders clearly didn't think so, so long as the taxed had representation in the body voting for it.