Real Science Friday: Krauss Pt. 2: All Evidence Supports the Big Bang

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Krauss Pt. 2: All Evidence Supports the Big Bang

This is the show from Friday, September 28th, 2012.

SUMMARY:

* Real Science Friday Concludes Talk with Lawrence Krauss
: Creationist co-hosts Bob Enyart and Fred Williams present part two of Bob's interview with theoretical physicist (emphasis on the theoretical) Lawrence Krauss. These RSF programs air on America's most powerful Christian radio stations, Denver's 50,000-watt AM 670 KLTT. Over the next weeks, this show summary web page will grow as it documents the facts, as asserted by thousands of scientists, that challenge the atheistic origins claims that Krauss made, especially for the Big Bang. (Make sure to hear Krauss Part I.)

* Krauss Admits Misleading Title to Sell Books: An atheist Professor at City University of New York, Massimo Pigliucci (whom we've quoted before pointing out that PZ Myers is filthy), is glad that folks are "pressing Krauss on several of his non sequiturs." He quotes Columbia's David Albert, who holds a PhD in theoretical physics and who in the New York Times made the same argument that I gave to Krauss today, that the “physical stuff of the world" and "quantum field theories" "have nothing whatsoever to say on the subject of where those fields came from... or of why there should have been a world in the first place. Period.” And Pigliucci shows the "intellectual dishonesty" from Krauss' own words in The Atlantic, when challenged that his book has a misleading title, because his topic actually is "a quantum vacuum" which "has properties," which properties objectively are not nothing, as in Krauss' title, A Universe from Nothing. Lawrence replied, “I don’t think I argued that physics has definitively shown how something could come from nothing... if the ‘nothing’ of reality is full of stuff, then I’ll go with that." But when the Atlantic interviewer, Ross Andersen presses, "when I read the title of your book, I read it as 'questions about origins are over.'" To which Krauss responds: “Well, if that hook gets you into the book that’s great. But in all seriousness, I never make that claim. ... If I’d just titled the book ‘A Marvelous Universe,’ not as many people would have been attracted to [i.e., bought] it." Pigliucci too points out the dishonesty and chastises Krauss: "Claim what you wish to claim, not what you think is going to sell more copies of your book, essentially playing a bait and switch with your readers." Richard Dawkins was also taken in by his friend's ruse, for he wrote the afterward, clearly without having read the manuscript itself, because Dawkins stated that the book title "means exactly what it says." Not.

* Krauss: "All evidence overwhelmingly supports the Big Bang": There is nothing objective about Lawrence Krauss as he comes across more like a cult leader than a scientist willing to acknowledge the data. Each of these major observations require secondary assumptions and rescue devices, some of which have not even been invented yet, to keep these enormous quantities of scientific data from falsifying the big bang and its standard claims for the age of the universe and for star and planetary formation (this list will grow including with additional references over the next days):

-

Galaxy clusters missing millions of years of collisions: Major big bang predictions falsified such that Princeton University cosmologist Jim Peebles stated, "It's really an embarrassment."
- Nine billion years of missing metal in a trillion stars: Indiana University led study of fifteen galaxies did not fulfill the big bang prediction that, as billions of years pass during star evolution, they were supposed to create vast quantities of heavy metals than these trillion or so stars lack.
- Galaxy superclusters: Enormous clusters like bubbles, the Great Wall, filaments, the Sloan Great Wall, which is more than a billion light years across, all lack the time for gravity to pull them together in a mere 14 billion years.
- Mission Population III stars: Theory predicts that many first generation stars, which would contain only the lightest elements hydrogen and helium (claimed to have formed in the big bang), should be plentiful, yet not even one has been found. "Astronomers have never seen a pure Population III star, despite years of combing our Milky Way galaxy." -Science, Jan. 4, 2002 (see also many more references)
- Missing uniform distribution of earth's radioactivity: Theory claims that all of our radioactive elements were created in the explosion of stars, but that would predict a relatively uniform distribution throughout the Earth's crust. However, Krauss agreed with Enyart's statement on air that ninety percent of Earth's radioactivity (uranium, thorium, etc.) is concentrated in the continental crust! That is, that 90% is not in the majority of the crust, which lies under the oceans, but it is concentrated in 1/3rd of 1% of the Earth's mass, in the continental crust. Krauss admitted that the uranium is concentrated near granite, but it is the creationists who have a robust theory as to why radioactivity is concentrated around granite.
- Sun is Missing 98% of the Spin of the Solar System: The discoverer of gravity Isaac Newton rejected the nebula hypothesis that gravity could condense a gas cloud into the sun and planets. Big bang proponents ignore Newton's insight and they then must devise a "rescue device" to explain why the Sun, which has about 99% of the mass of the solar system, has less than 1% of the angular momentum of the system.

Lawrence has been an aggressive proponent of a philosophical worldview for so long that perhaps he has forgotten even what it means for "evidence" to support a theory. Here are some of the items we'll be adding to this list in an expanded and documented form over the coming days:

- Missing echo of the big bang.
- Missing uniform distribution of isotopes (versions of elements) between the Sun and Earth.
- Hot Jupiters, i.e., gas giant planets orbiting close to their stars, contradicting the longstanding claims of solar system formation, which were not devised from the ground up based on the laws of physics, but rather, invented ad hoc to account for the particulars of our own solar system. Now that exoplanets are being discovered, the story telling will simply become, as with epicycles and levels of Darwinian selection, shall we say, more complex.
- Millions of years of missing spiral arm deformation. (Of the evidence that does not "support" the big bang, this is an example that proponents jump on first, actually claiming this as positive evidence, while it is one of the first observational contradictions of the theory that caused them to assert the existence of one of their first hypothetical entities. The more observations that contradict a theory, and the more secondary and tertiary rescue devices needed to prop it up, the more its proponents make over-the-top assertions such as: "All evidence overwhelmingly supports the big bang.")
- Check back over the coming days to watch this list grow!

For today's show RSF recommends
the best astronomy science DVD ever made!
What You Aren't Being Told About Astronomy:
Our Created Solar System
!

Today’s Resources: Get the Spike Psarris DVD What You Aren't Being Told About Astronomy and Vol. II, Our Created Stars and Galaxies! Have you browsed through our Science Department in the KGOV Store? Check out especially Walt Brown’s In the Beginning and Bob’s interviews with this great scientist in Walt Brown Week! You’ll also love Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez’ Privileged Planet (clip), and Illustra Media’s Unlocking the Mystery of Life (clip)! You can consider our BEL Science Pack; Bob Enyart’s Age of the Earth Debate; Bob's debate about Junk DNA with famous evolutionist Dr. Eugenie Scott; and the superb kids' radio programming, Jonathan Park: The Adventure Begins! And Bob strongly recommends that you subscribe to CMI’s tremendous Creation magazine!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My connection is making it very hard for me to listen to it straight through.