ECT Question with regards to the temptation of man:

Cross Reference

Assuming you believe man is tested for his allegiance to God: If God interfered in any way in such testing of man, what good would the temptation accomplish? [Use Adam, Abraham and especially Jesus in thinking this through]

Something I overlooked in this thing of temptation: While it is true God doesn't tempt man He allows it for his purposes that can bless or expose the need for rectification to the one tempted.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Assuming you believe man is tested for his allegiance to God: If God interfered in any way in such testing of man, what good would the temptation accomplish? [Use Adam, Abraham and especially Jesus in thinking this through]
Did not God interfere in the case of Jonah?
Of was that big ol' fish just a lucky coincidence?

Cross Reference

You first :chuckle:
For what, answering the question? I asked to get your reasoning and maybe compare 'notes'. Of course if you have never considered such a thing, I don't want put thoughts into your head without a foundation there in which they might prosper you. They won't unless there is.

Danoh

For what, answering the question? I asked to get your reasoning and maybe compare 'notes'. Of course if you have never considered such a thing, I don't want put thoughts into your head without a foundation there in which they might prosper you. They won't unless there is.

I'm a big boy. Don't let that "temptation" stop you :chuckle:

Bradley D

Many point to Genesis 22:1 as God tempting. "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am." (Gen. 22:1) But the argument is that God was not testing Abraham with evil. God was testing Abrahams loyalty to Him.

Other than that God does not tempt anyone to evil for that is of the devil. God will not let us be tempted beyond that which we are able to resist (1 Corinthians 10:13).

We also benefit from temptation. "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2-4).

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Something I overlooked in this thing of temptation: While it is true God doesn't tempt man He allows it for his purposes that can bless or expose the need for rectification to the one tempted.

God doesn't tempt humans to sin. He doesn't have to, it's human nature.

Paul said, "Each one’s work will become clear, for the Day will declare it because it will be revealed by fire and the fire will test each one’s work of what sort it is." (1 Corinthians 3:13)

Peter said, "Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you." (1 Peter 4:12)

Cross Reference

God doesn't tempt humans to sin. He doesn't have to, it's human nature.

Paul said, "Each one’s work will become clear, for the Day will declare it because it will be revealed by fire and the fire will test each one’s work of what sort it is." (1 Corinthians 3:13)

Peter said, "Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you." (1 Peter 4:12)

I believe I said that, Jamie. However, for His ways to be preformed by man, man must prove himself capable of abandoning himself to God. That is the reason why God allows his foe to test him, to prove his allegiance. Read the OP again.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Many point to Genesis 22:1 as God tempting. "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am." (Gen. 22:1) But the argument is that God was not testing Abraham with evil. God was testing Abrahams loyalty to Him.

Other than that God does not tempt anyone to evil for that is of the devil. God will not let us be tempted beyond that which we are able to resist (1 Corinthians 10:13).

We also benefit from temptation. "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2-4).

Exactly!

bling

I believe I said, Jamie. However, for His ways to be preformed by man, man must prove himself capable of abandoning himself to God. That is the reason why God allows his foe to test him, to prove his allegiance. Read the OP again.

I would say the "test" is an opportunity to help grow the person be tested.

Cross Reference

Satan tested Jesus, so I will rephrase my comment to just being tested by God.

Did Satan test Jesus without God allowing it? Why would God allow Satan to do that and leave Jesus alone to confront it all? . .as He also did with Adam and Abraham??

Cross Reference

I would say the "test" is an opportunity to help grow the person be tested.

For us, I would say it was to simply point up where we are deficient in our walk with the Lord, which should cause us to seek out what is required to overcome. Jesus would never have been given the opportunity had He failed. Same result as with Adam but worse this time.