Question: "They will return here." How do we understand this Biblical phrase?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Question: "They will return here." How do we understand this Biblical phrase?

There are two places in the Bible that have the words "they will return here" from a short search of the Bible using a concordance. How do we understand this Biblical phrase in both of the following verses in accordance with Biblical context? That is, with what we see in the whole of scripture?

Genesis 15:16 NASB - "Then in the fourth generation they will return here, for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete."

Jeremiah 31:8 NASB - "Behold, I am bringing them from the north country, And I will gather them from the remote parts of the earth, Among them the blind and the lame, The woman with child and she who is in labor with child, together; A great company, they will return here.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Genesis 15:16 NASB - "Then in the fourth generation they will return here, for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete."
I believe that this was before the Exodus from Egypt. Credit to something I heard on the radio.
Jeremiah 31:8 NASB - "Behold, I am bringing them from the north country, And I will gather them from the remote parts of the earth, Among them the blind and the lame, The woman with child and she who is in labor with child, together; A great company, they will return here.
When was this? I know about something like this having occurred within the last one hundred years. But was there a fulfillment earlier? Was this local to Israel? And, is this the north as from the Kingdom of Israel which was taken by the north, Assyria I think it was? Because after the return from Babylon we have first century Judaism with Judah, Benjamin, and Levi.

ttruscott

The return is the return of the sinful elect to paradise, their true home, after they finally agree to the destruction of the Amorites, the unregenerate non-elect, for their sins ending the postponement of the judgement day and allowing the judgement to proceed as per Matt 13: 29 ‘No,’ he said, ‘if you pull the weeds now, you might uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. ie, the judgement day.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The return is the return of the sinful elect to paradise, their true home, after they finally agree to the destruction of the Amorites, the unregenerate non-elect, for their sins ending the postponement of the judgement day and allowing the judgement to proceed as per Matt 13: 29 ‘No,’ he said, ‘if you pull the weeds now, you might uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. ie, the judgement day.
Please explain if you can as I do not understand your perspective.

Danoh

I believe that this was before the Exodus from Egypt. Credit to something I heard on the radio.

When was this? I know about something like this having occurred within the last one hundred years. But was there a fulfillment earlier? Was this local to Israel? And, is this the north as from the Kingdom of Israel which was taken by the north, Assyria I think it was? Because after the return from Babylon we have first century Judaism with Judah, Benjamin, and Levi.

The thing to do is to not allow yourself to attempt to guess at a thing.

The thing to do, instead, is to proceed to attempt to also track down where other phrases in those passages might be found.

Track down other passages where the other phrases in those passages might also be found.

The ones I have numbered in the passage you quoted, for example...

Behold, I am (1) bringing them (2) from the north country, And I (3) will gather them from the (4) remote parts of the earth, Among them (5) the blind and (6) the lame, The (7) woman with child and she who is in labor with child, together; (8) A great company, they will return here.

And so on.

And the more familiar one is with the Bible itself - not with endless books "about" the Bible, but with the Bible itself - the more likely the memory of similar passages will come to one's mind, simply "by reason of use" Hebrews 5:14.

Kind of like how you might know where the Hardware store, or Laundromat, are in your neighborhood, simply due to your time living in your neighborhood.

Same thing - get in The Book - and stay in The Book - and when such questions come up, you'll find you have a rich memory of passages in Scripture that help shed their light on your question.

Take the following passages, for example...

Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

They came into my mind from my memory just now, in relation to what I have been saying in this post, simply due to my time in Scripture...

Also, because that is how memory is triggered - when what we are thinking on matches a memory related to it in one way, or another, that sets off whatever is our memory that related to it, on one way or another.

Example:

John 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

Rom. 5:6-8.

Last edited:

Danoh

Do you want his explanation, or the Lord's explanation of Matthew 13 - in Matthew 13.

In other words, read Matthew 13.

Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Duh-uh.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The thing to do is to not allow yourself to attempt to guess at a thing.

The thing to do, instead, is to proceed to attempt to also track down where other phrases in those passages might be found.

Track down other passages where the other phrases in those passages might also be found.

The ones I have numbered in the passage you quoted, for example...

Behold, I am (1) bringing them (2) from the north country, And I (3) will gather them from the (4) remote parts of the earth, Among them (5) the blind and (6) the lame, The (7) woman with child and she who is in labor with child, together; (8) A great company, they will return here.

And so on.

And the more familiar one is with the Bible itself - not with endless books "about" the Bible, but with the Bible itself - the more likely the memory of similar passages will come to one's mind, simply "by reason of use" Hebrews 5:14.

Kind of like how you might know where the Hardware store, or Laundromat, are in your neighborhood, simply due to your time living in your neighborhood.

Same thing - get in The Book - and stay in The Book - and when such questions come up, you'll find you have a rich memory of passages in Scripture that help shed their light on your question.

Take the following passages, for example...

They came into my mind from my memory just now, in relation to what I have been saying in this post - those passages in Hebrews 5 came into my mind from my memory, simply due to my time in Scripture...

Also, because that is how many is triggered - when what we are thinking on matches a memory related to it in one way, or another...

Example:

John 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

Good suggestions. Thanks.

ttruscott

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ttruscott

Some of the prophecies of the bible are also physical metaphors and these physically metaphoric prophecies are called types...the type is the prophecy-event and the fulfillment is the anti-type. The exodus from Egypt is a type for GOD's sinful elect breaking free from the slavery to sin and returning to the promised land, paradise.

Genesis 15:16 "Then in the fourth generation they will return here, for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete." adds the information that even though the sinful elect get free of their slave master they will wander in the wilderness of unfulfilled sanctification, the time of Heb 12:5-11 in each reborn elect's life wherein they are chastised painfully to train them to always choose righteousness and to eschew the pleasures and profits of sinfulness. The reason given for their stay in the wilderness, ie, the reason that they do not enter fully into paradise at once upon conversion is given as "the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete." or as the Contemporary English Version Four generations later, your descendants will return here and take this land, because only then will the people who live here be so sinful that they deserve to be punished. which adds into the verse that which is is only implied...

Since we know the hatred GOD has for the merest hint of evil, such that it is even said HE cannot look upon it, have you considered: IF the iniquity of the Amorites is NOT full enough for judgment, WHO is it not full enough for? Why did judgement have to be postponed? It should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about the totally defiling nature of just one sin, that the Amorites were full enough of evil for judgement in GOD's sight already. So then, just who still looked on their iniquity as not being full yet, that is, as not being bad enough to warrant this judgement, that had to take place before Israel's return?

According to preconception existence theology, there was a four generation postponement of GOD's judgement because the Amorites were not yet bad enough in the eyes of the Israelites for the Israelites to be willing to judge them according to the judgement decreed by GOD. Therefore, the Israelites had to stay enslaved in Egypt or wandering in the wilderness until they became willing to judge them, that is, until the Israelites became holy (obedient) enough to see them all judged: men, women and children. (See Joshua 6:21; 8:26,27; 10:40)

Now, this judgement against the Amorites is typical of the judgement that has to take place before we can inherit the antitypical “Promised Land”, ie, before GOD's sinful people can enter into paradise. According to pre-conception existence theology, (PCE), this antitypical judgement has also been postponed because the elect do not yet look on the iniquity of HIS enemies as being bad enough to warrant HIS eternal judgement and wrath on them. This is found in the parable of the good but sinful seed when the angels ask the Son of Man if they should rip up, ie, bring the judgement to, the reprobate tares and are told: Matt 13:29 ‘No,’ he said, ‘if you pull the weeds now, you might uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat into my barn.’” What is this magic time of the harvest that saves the sinful (they are liable to the judgment) from being liable to the judgment? Harvest time is when the seeds are mature and the only maturity that saves one from judgment is the maturity of holiness, that is, being in perfect accord with GOD's plans, HIS decree of judgement against the tares, the Amorites. Therefore we are being told that the judgement has been postponed until the iniquities of the reprobate (especially in our own families: Matt 10:35 For I have come to turn ‘A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ ) are full enough for the sinful elect to choose holiness and allow the judgement.

Therefore, we too have had to remain in Egypt or wandering in the wilderness if we've been converted, that is, outside of the “Promised Land”, still waiting until we become holy enough to have all of GOD's enemies (men, women and children, even the ones that look like little wee babies!) “killed”, that is, judged and forever exiled to hell.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Some of the prophecies of the bible are also physical metaphors and these physically metaphoric prophecies are called types...the type is the prophecy-event and the fulfillment is the anti-type. The exodus from Egypt is a type for GOD's sinful elect breaking free from the slavery to sin and returning to the promised land, paradise.

Genesis 15:16 "Then in the fourth generation they will return here, for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete." adds the information that even though the sinful elect get free of their slave master they will wander in the wilderness of unfulfilled sanctification, the time of Heb 12:5-11 in each reborn elect's life wherein they are chastised painfully to train them to always choose righteousness and to eschew the pleasures and profits of sinfulness. The reason given for their stay in the wilderness, ie, the reason that they do not enter fully into paradise at once upon conversion is given as "the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete." or as the Contemporary English Version Four generations later, your descendants will return here and take this land, because only then will the people who live here be so sinful that they deserve to be punished. which adds into the verse that which is is only implied...

Since we know the hatred GOD has for the merest hint of evil, such that it is even said HE cannot look upon it, have you considered: IF the iniquity of the Amorites is NOT full enough for judgment, WHO is it not full enough for? Why did judgement have to be postponed? It should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about the totally defiling nature of just one sin, that the Amorites were full enough of evil for judgement in GOD's sight already. So then, just who still looked on their iniquity as not being full yet, that is, as not being bad enough to warrant this judgement, that had to take place before Israel's return?

According to preconception existence theology, there was a four generation postponement of GOD's judgement because the Amorites were not yet bad enough in the eyes of the Israelites for the Israelites to be willing to judge them according to the judgement decreed by GOD. Therefore, the Israelites had to stay enslaved in Egypt or wandering in the wilderness until they became willing to judge them, that is, until the Israelites became holy (obedient) enough to see them all judged: men, women and children. (See Joshua 6:21; 8:26,27; 10:40)

Now, this judgement against the Amorites is typical of the judgement that has to take place before we can inherit the antitypical “Promised Land”, ie, before GOD's sinful people can enter into paradise. According to pre-conception existence theology, (PCE), this antitypical judgement has also been postponed because the elect do not yet look on the iniquity of HIS enemies as being bad enough to warrant HIS eternal judgement and wrath on them. This is found in the parable of the good but sinful seed when the angels ask the Son of Man if they should rip up, ie, bring the judgement to, the reprobate tares and are told: Matt 13:29 ‘No,’ he said, ‘if you pull the weeds now, you might uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat into my barn.’” What is this magic time of the harvest that saves the sinful (they are liable to the judgment) from being liable to the judgment? Harvest time is when the seeds are mature and the only maturity that saves one from judgment is the maturity of holiness, that is, being in perfect accord with GOD's plans, HIS decree of judgement against the tares, the Amorites. Therefore we are being told that the judgement has been postponed until the iniquities of the reprobate (especially in our own families: Matt 10:35 For I have come to turn ‘A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ ) are full enough for the sinful elect to choose holiness and allow the judgement.

Therefore, we too have had to remain in Egypt or wandering in the wilderness if we've been converted, that is, outside of the “Promised Land”, still waiting until we become holy enough to have all of GOD's enemies (men, women and children, even the ones that look like little wee babies!) “killed”, that is, judged and forever exiled to hell.
Interesting.

oldhermit

It would seem Jeremiah 31:8 had its fulfilment in Acts 2.

Derf

There are two places in the Bible that have the words "they will return here" from a short search of the Bible using a concordance. How do we understand this Biblical phrase in both of the following verses in accordance with Biblical context? That is, with what we see in the whole of scripture?

Regarding the first, the Exodus from Egypt fulfilled it, as you surmised.

Regarding the second:
Jeremiah prophesied before the move to Babylon was even complete. The most obvious fulfillment was when the people cam back from Babylon. You can read about it in Ezra and Nehemiah, as well as at the end of 2 Chronicles:
[2Ch 36:22 NASB] Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia--in order to fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah--the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout his kingdom, and also [put it] in writing, saying,
[2Ch 36:23 NASB] "Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, 'The LORD, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and He has appointed me to build Him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever there is among you of all His people, may the LORD his God be with him, and let him go up!'"

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Regarding the first, the Exodus from Egypt fulfilled it, as you surmised.

Regarding the second:
Jeremiah prophesied before the move to Babylon was even complete. The most obvious fulfillment was when the people cam back from Babylon. You can read about it in Ezra and Nehemiah, as well as at the end of 2 Chronicles:
[2Ch 36:22 NASB] Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia--in order to fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah--the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout his kingdom, and also [put it] in writing, saying,
[2Ch 36:23 NASB] "Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, 'The LORD, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and He has appointed me to build Him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever there is among you of all His people, may the LORD his God be with him, and let him go up!'"

Why does it say "from the north country"? Did you see that part? Do you stand by what you said? What of what Jeremiah said?

oldhermit

Yes and no.

Since you asked me why I would say that, allow me to explain.

What do we find happening in Acts 2:5-11?
“Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. They were amazed and astonished, saying, ‘Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.’”

Now, we see the return of the remnant of both houses back into their own land into Jerusalem. “From every nation under heaven” is qualified by the corresponding passage of Isaiah 11:11 which directly represents the scattered remnants of Judah and Israel. “Then it will happen on that day that the Lord will again recover the second time with His hand the remnant of His people, who will remain, from Assyria, Egypt, Pathros, Cush, Elam, Shinar, Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.” God is bringing back to Jerusalem representatives of the remnant from every nation that was occupied by the dispersed Jews from the time of the captivity until the time of the events in Acts two.

A. Peter first addresses the nation of Judah in 14-21
and binds the beginning of the fulfillment of all these things spoken by their own prophet Joel concerning the nation of Judah and he links the things in Joel two to the things that were taking place in Acts two. “Men of Judea and all you who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you and give heed to my words.”

1. Joel represented the time in which these events would occur as the last days, “and it shall be in the last days.” “The Last Days” represented the close of an era involving four things, the close of the Jewish economy, the fulfillment of the prophets’ message, the beginning of the reign of Messiah, and the destruction of the nation.

a. The close of the Jewish economy. The last days brought the fulfillment of the Law of Moses. Everything that the Jews held dear is now changed.

*All of their sacrifices were now rendered null and void. These sacrifices saw their realization in the sacrifice of Jesus, 9:11-15.
* The earthly tabernacle with its altar and sanctuary is now empty of the presence of God, 8:1-2.
* The Law of Moses was fulfilled and taken out of the way, 8:6.
* The priesthood which served as the mediator between God and man is now obsolete, superseded by the High Priest of a new order, 9:11,15.

b. The end of the prophetic era – The message spoken through the prophets has now become reality. There is a new spokesman.
c. The beginning of the reign of Messiah
The scepter of the kingdom has now passed to the true King of kings, 1:8. This is the beginning of the reign of Messiah. As a nation, Israel and Judah had been divided for about 950 years since the reigns of Rehoboam and Jeroboam. Now, under Messiah, these two nations will find unity again as one nation under a new King.
d. The end of the Israel as a nation. In less than forty year, this nation would be destroyed and Jerusalem leveled.

2. These people were witnessing the fulfillment of the promise to “pour out My Spirit upon all mankind.” This is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is God making the Holy Spirit available to all mankind. This was a one time, for all time, for all men event. It had never happened before and it would never happen again.
3. Peter binds the fulfillment of the promise of the empowering of the Holy Spirit. “And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even on My bond slaves, both men and women, I will in those days pour forth of my Spirit and they shall prophesy.”

We can see the confirmation of this in throughout the rest of the book of Acts as well as in such passages as 1Corinthians 12 and others.
4. Peter pronounces the judgment of God upon the nation of Judah that was spoken by Joel, “And I will grant wonders in the sky above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke. ‘The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the great and glorious day of the Lord shall come.” These are judgment figures commonly used in scripture to speak of the destruction of nation.
5. Peter binds the fulfillment of the promise of the Lord to provide a means of salvation from this destruction. “And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved,” 21.
6. It needs to be understood that what Peter is confirming in this presentation is the fulfillment of the words of John the immerser in Matthew 3:11, “I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” In Acts 2:17-18 is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that John promised. The recipients of this promise were those whom John was addressing – the Jews, the same people he himself was baptizing with water. In Acts 2:19-20 is the baptism of fire. Fire is widely used in scripture as a judgment figure. This is God's judgment upon the nation. This is stressed by John's continued exegesis of this baptism of fire in Matthew 3:12, “His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” God's judgment is represented as a baptism of fire that was about to come upon them. This is precisely the same thing Peter is telling the hearers in Acts 2. Yet, both John and Peter confirm that in the midst of all of this judgment, the Lord is providing a way of escape. “He will gather His wheat (the saved) into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff (These are the condemned, the lost, the cursed. These are the spiritually worthless) with unquenchable fire.” This is unrelenting destruction.

B. Peter then addresses the northern Nation of Israel, 22-35.

1. Peter accuses them of culpability in the crucifixion of Jesus.
“Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know. This Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.”

Peter reveals the crucifixion of Jesus as part of a predetermined plan of God. Jesus was not delivered over by man but by God himself. This makes his listeners nothing more than mere incidentals in the plan of God for the redemption of humanity. This does not however dismiss their culpability. They are still confronted with the guilt of their actions – “God authenticated Him and you killed Him!” The statement “by the hands of godless men” is exact in its representation of the facts in the case. They were not the instrument of his crucifixion, they were merely the instigators. The instrument of the crucifixion was the Roman soldiers. No power in heaven or on earth could take Jesus' life from him had he not been will to give it. All the power of the Jews and the combined legions of the Roman army could not have even so much as arrest him much less kill him if he had not permitted it to be so. His life could never have been taken it had to be given, Isaiah 9:6.
2. Peter offers two Psalms as testimony of God's predetermination of the resurrection of Jesus. The crucifixion of Jesus was no accident nor was it an unexpected debacle in the plan of God.

a. Psalms 16:8-10, “But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power. For David says of Him, I saw the Lord always in my presence; for he is at my right hand, so that I will not be shaken. Therefore, My heart was glad and my tongue exulted; moreover My flesh also will live in hope; Because You will not abandon My soul to hades, nor allow Your Holy One to undergo decay. You have made known to Me the ways of life; You will make Me full of gladness with Your presence.”

Peter declares the fact of the resurrection, “But God raised Him up again.” Peter, for the first time, makes a public declaration of the resurrection of Jesus. This was something the Jewish leadership had tried hard to keep quiet. In Matthew 28:11-15 they had attempted to cover up the resurrection by paying off the guards. But, like most scandals, I am sure this had been whispered widely among the populace. Since it was to have been top secret information quite naturally everyone knew about it.
b. Psalms 110:1, “Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. And so, because he was a prophet and knew that God had sworn to him with an oath to seat one of his descendants on his throne, he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that He was neither abandoned to hades, nor did His flesh suffer decay. This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses. Therefore, having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear. For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says: ‘The Lord said to my Lord, ‘’Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”

* The Father's promise of the Holy Spirit has been now realized.
“Therefore, having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.” “Having poured out” is aorist indicative active which emphasizes the fact that the pouring out of the Holy Spirit was an act that was completed in the past (At the beginning of this event) and continues to be poured out on all flesh. This confirms that the promise from Joel is fulfilled.

C. Now, Peter addresses the whole nation collectively, 36.
“Therefore, let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ—this Jesus whom you crucified.”
1. In Psalms 2, the drama unfolds of the conflict between the enemies of God and his anointed One. These enemies are the nations, the people, the kings of the earth, and the rulers. These have assembled themselves together against their Messiah not willing to accept his rule. After having done all they could do at Calvary to "tear their fetters" and "cast their cords," the roles are now reversed, In verses four through six, it is now the One who sits in heaven who laughs. The Lord now scoffs at them. His anger is displayed and he terrifies them in his fury. In spite of everything man could do to free himself from the rule of Messiah, God says, "I have installed My King!" In verses seven through twelve, he declares the preeminence of the Son saying:
a. "I have begotten You."
b. "I will be to him a Father."
c. "I will give You the nations..."
d. "The ends of the earth are Your possession."
e. "You will break them with the rod of iron."
f. "You will scatter them."
All of these serve to stress the certainty of God's purpose. It will be done! Now, the warning is given to the kings and judges of the earth to submit to the sovereignty of Messiah. What must then follow is God's required response form man.
g. "Worship Jehovah with reverence."
h. "Rejoice and tremble."
i. "Do homage to the Son."
j. "Take refuge in him." This is God's ultimatum to man. If they refuse,
k. "He will become angry."
l. "You will perish in the way."
m. "His wrath will may soon be kindled."

2. In verses 22-36 Peter has confirmed five facts from scripture regarding this Jesus whom they had crucified.
a. God authenticated him.
b. God raised him from the dead.
c. God seated him at his right hand.
d. God seated him on the throne of his father David.
e. God appointed him as LORD, the anointed One. The one you crucified is your Messiah.
f. Jesus is the fulfillment of the prophets. Peter's indictment was “God authenticated him and you killed him.”

Characteristics of the Reunification of a Once Divided Nation; A New Kingdom is Born, 41-47.
“So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls. They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.”

A. Devotion to the apostles teaching – The apostles are universally accepted by the respondents as authoritative and whatever they taught was recognized by the people as being from God. The justification for this devotion was reinforced by the wonders and signs done by the hands of the apostles. The signs done by the apostles served as divine credentials for their message and the response by the people was one of awe. So, the people were convinced of the gospel message on three fronts.

1. By the force of the argumentation of Peter from the prophet Joel and from the testimony of David.
2. By the resurrection of Jesus
3. By the signs done by the apostles. This would seem to serve to convince some of the more hesitant among them.

B. Demonstrations of unity, 42-47
What is being experienced by these Jews was the restoration of the all the tribes into one nation, into one kingdom. For the first time in over 950 years since the division of the nation, both Judah and Israel find solidarity under a common King. This solidarity manifests itself in three forms – fellowship, eating, and worship. The description of these forms is then expanded upon in the following verses.

1. A common sharing – “And all those who had believed were together (Both Judah and Israel) and had all things in common;” There is no more division. Their commonality is rooted in their common relationship with Christ. This manifested itself in the sharing of possessions for the common needs of the body. “And they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.” THIS is true fellowship. This is self-motivated generosity, not coercion and not communistic philosophy. This does not appear to be commanded by the apostles neither here nor anywhere else in the New Testament. This generosity lends credibility to the genuineness of the conversion of these hearers and the unity they now jointly share. All of the old animosities are gone. This generosity is mutually acceptable.
2. Common worship “Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple.”
This was not a short lived existential experience that was only brought about by the heightened emotional experience of the moment and forgotten once the experience had passed. This was continued from day to day. Not only had it continued as time began to pass but as we will see from later examples it intensified. Israel is no longer worshiping at Dan and Bethel while Judah worships in Jerusalem. There is no more Dan and Bethel for Israel. God has taken the “remnant” of both houses and brought them back into Jerusalem to worship the Lord together in the Temple as one nation under one King – Messiah just as the prophets said he would. They are now worshiping God together in common.
3. The common table
“And breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.”
This is a sharing of common meals. This kind of fellowship was never extended to anyone who was considered an enemy, or an infidel, or unclean, or anyone who was otherwise undesirable. This was a manifestation of a common acceptance of one another as brothers because of the common faith factor.
4. The message of the gospel continued to be spread now from house to house with favorable results. “And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.” This is where Church growth happens; not in the pulpit but in living rooms and across kitchen tables.

Peace is Restored in the Kingdom of God.

This is what both Isaiah and Micah had prophesied.
A. Edinic conditions are restored.
“And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, and the leopard will lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little boy will lead them. Also, the cow and the bear will graze, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox the nursing child will play by the hole of the cobra, and the weaned child will put his hand on the viper’s den. They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.” In other words, they are not devouring one another. Isaiah. 11:6-9. This is not to be understood as literal language.
(Isaiah 35:9, “No lion will be there, nor will any vicious beast go up on it; These will not be found there. But the redeemed will walk there”).

1. This a symbol of natural enemies existing in peace with one another and with man.
2. It is only “In all My holy mountain” - the Church that these conditions exist. The holy mountain of God is Zion – the Church, Hebrews 12:18-23.
3. This would happen when “the whole earth is full of the knowledge of Jehovah.” The filling of the earth was the commission given to the apostle and jointly to us, Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-16, Luke 24:46-49. John 20:19-20 It began here in Acts 2 and continues still.

B. These peaceful conditions would be then extended to the nations.
“And it will come about in the last days that the mountain of the house of the Lord will be established as the chief of the mountains. It will be raised above the hills, and the peoples will stream to it. Many nations will come and say, ‘Come and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord and to the house of the God of Jacob, that He may teach us about His ways and that we may walk in His paths.’ For from Zion will go forth the law, even the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. And He will judge between many peoples and render decisions for mighty, distant nations.” Micah 4:1-8 and Isaiah 2:2-4
1. All the nations would stream into the mountain of the house of the Lord. Here is the exclusive place of peace.
2. The purpose of the assembly of the nations was to learn his ways so that they could walk in his paths.
3. It is only here that men will abide in peace. “Then they will hammer their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; Nation will not lift up sword against nation, and never again will they train for war. Each of them will sit under his vine and under his fig tree, with no one to make them afraid for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken. Though all the peoples walk each in the name of his god, as for us.” Only in the Church do all the nations of men dwell in peace with one another for it is only here that the nations “will walk in the name of the Lord our God forever and ever.”

The Sanctuary of God is Now Among Men.
“I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will place them and multiply them and will set My sanctuary in their midst forever. “My dwelling place also will be with them; and I will be their God, and they will be My people. “And the nations will know that I am the LORD who sanctifies Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forever.” Ezekiel 37:26-27

1. Acts 2 is the fulfillment of the covenant initiated to Abraham in Genesis 17:7-8 and repeated some 17 times in the Old Testament and twice in the New Testament in which God says, “I will be their God, and they will be My people.”
2. The defining attribute of this covenant would be the fact that God had set his sanctuary in the midst of them forever and that they have become the dwelling place of Jehovah because now, the Church, represented here in the restored remnant of the nation of Israel, has become the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. The Church is the temple of God made without hands. The Church is the New Jerusalem where God has placed his name.

musterion

2. The defining attribute of this covenant would be the fact that God had set his sanctuary in the midst of them forever and that they have become the dwelling place of Jehovah because now, the Church, represented here in the restored remnant of the nation of Israel, has become the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. The Church is the temple of God made without hands. The Church is the New Jerusalem where God has placed his name.

There is no covenant with, for or on the Jew/Gentile Body of Christ during the dispensation of grace, in case that was your point.

Danoh

Regarding your post, olderhermit (see Spoiler below)...

Nope.

One, their instruction in Acst 1 that after that particular Pentecost they were to go to Judea and Sumaria, and unto to uttermost parts of the world, refers to areas abroad where the balance of the Twelve Tribes were still scattered.

Two, in the latter half of Matthew 10, the Lord told the Twelve they would not even make it past the cities of Israel before His return.

Three, Hebrews 2 refers to that Pentecost as a foretaste of their world to come.

Three, per Paul in Romans 11, and Peter in 2 Peter 3, the Wrath that was to precede the Lord's return unto Israel per Peter, in Acts 3, prior to His Blessing them, at last, was delayed...until the fullness of an Unprophesied Mystery Gentile work that God had planned to do among the Gentiles directly, during Israel's temporary setting aside - in contrast to His plan to do so through Israel's rise to its Kingdom glory first, as had been repeatedly Prophesied concerning Israel, Isaiah 60 & Isaiah 66, for example, as that has been delayed until the fullness of His direct, Mystery work among the Gentiles be come in.

Acts 17:11, 12.

Spoiler

Since you asked me why I would say that, allow me to explain.

What do we find happening in Acts 2:5-11?
“Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. They were amazed and astonished, saying, ‘Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.’”

Now, we see the return of the remnant of both houses back into their own land into Jerusalem. “From every nation under heaven” is qualified by the corresponding passage of Isaiah 11:11 which directly represents the scattered remnants of Judah and Israel. “Then it will happen on that day that the Lord will again recover the second time with His hand the remnant of His people, who will remain, from Assyria, Egypt, Pathros, Cush, Elam, Shinar, Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.” God is bringing back to Jerusalem representatives of the remnant from every nation that was occupied by the dispersed Jews from the time of the captivity until the time of the events in Acts two.

A. Peter first addresses the nation of Judah in 14-21
and binds the beginning of the fulfillment of all these things spoken by their own prophet Joel concerning the nation of Judah and he links the things in Joel two to the things that were taking place in Acts two. “Men of Judea and all you who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you and give heed to my words.”

1. Joel represented the time in which these events would occur as the last days, “and it shall be in the last days.” “The Last Days” represented the close of an era involving four things, the close of the Jewish economy, the fulfillment of the prophets’ message, the beginning of the reign of Messiah, and the destruction of the nation.

a. The close of the Jewish economy. The last days brought the fulfillment of the Law of Moses. Everything that the Jews held dear is now changed.

*All of their sacrifices were now rendered null and void. These sacrifices saw their realization in the sacrifice of Jesus, 9:11-15.
* The earthly tabernacle with its altar and sanctuary is now empty of the presence of God, 8:1-2.
* The Law of Moses was fulfilled and taken out of the way, 8:6.
* The priesthood which served as the mediator between God and man is now obsolete, superseded by the High Priest of a new order, 9:11,15.

b. The end of the prophetic era – The message spoken through the prophets has now become reality. There is a new spokesman.
c. The beginning of the reign of Messiah
The scepter of the kingdom has now passed to the true King of kings, 1:8. This is the beginning of the reign of Messiah. As a nation, Israel and Judah had been divided for about 950 years since the reigns of Rehoboam and Jeroboam. Now, under Messiah, these two nations will find unity again as one nation under a new King.
d. The end of the Israel as a nation. In less than forty year, this nation would be destroyed and Jerusalem leveled.

2. These people were witnessing the fulfillment of the promise to “pour out My Spirit upon all mankind.” This is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is God making the Holy Spirit available to all mankind. This was a one time, for all time, for all men event. It had never happened before and it would never happen again.
3. Peter binds the fulfillment of the promise of the empowering of the Holy Spirit. “And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even on My bond slaves, both men and women, I will in those days pour forth of my Spirit and they shall prophesy.”

We can see the confirmation of this in throughout the rest of the book of Acts as well as in such passages as 1Corinthians 12 and others.
4. Peter pronounces the judgment of God upon the nation of Judah that was spoken by Joel, “And I will grant wonders in the sky above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke. ‘The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the great and glorious day of the Lord shall come.” These are judgment figures commonly used in scripture to speak of the destruction of nation.
5. Peter binds the fulfillment of the promise of the Lord to provide a means of salvation from this destruction. “And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved,” 21.
6. It needs to be understood that what Peter is confirming in this presentation is the fulfillment of the words of John the immerser in Matthew 3:11, “I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” In Acts 2:17-18 is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that John promised. The recipients of this promise were those whom John was addressing – the Jews, the same people he himself was baptizing with water. In Acts 2:19-20 is the baptism of fire. Fire is widely used in scripture as a judgment figure. This is God's judgment upon the nation. This is stressed by John's continued exegesis of this baptism of fire in Matthew 3:12, “His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” God's judgment is represented as a baptism of fire that was about to come upon them. This is precisely the same thing Peter is telling the hearers in Acts 2. Yet, both John and Peter confirm that in the midst of all of this judgment, the Lord is providing a way of escape. “He will gather His wheat (the saved) into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff (These are the condemned, the lost, the cursed. These are the spiritually worthless) with unquenchable fire.” This is unrelenting destruction.

B. Peter then addresses the northern Nation of Israel, 22-35.

1. Peter accuses them of culpability in the crucifixion of Jesus.
“Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know. This Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.”

Peter reveals the crucifixion of Jesus as part of a predetermined plan of God. Jesus was not delivered over by man but by God himself. This makes his listeners nothing more than mere incidentals in the plan of God for the redemption of humanity. This does not however dismiss their culpability. They are still confronted with the guilt of their actions – “God authenticated Him and you killed Him!” The statement “by the hands of godless men” is exact in its representation of the facts in the case. They were not the instrument of his crucifixion, they were merely the instigators. The instrument of the crucifixion was the Roman soldiers. No power in heaven or on earth could take Jesus' life from him had he not been will to give it. All the power of the Jews and the combined legions of the Roman army could not have even so much as arrest him much less kill him if he had not permitted it to be so. His life could never have been taken it had to be given, Isaiah 9:6.
2. Peter offers two Psalms as testimony of God's predetermination of the resurrection of Jesus. The crucifixion of Jesus was no accident nor was it an unexpected debacle in the plan of God.

a. Psalms 16:8-10, “But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power. For David says of Him, I saw the Lord always in my presence; for he is at my right hand, so that I will not be shaken. Therefore, My heart was glad and my tongue exulted; moreover My flesh also will live in hope; Because You will not abandon My soul to hades, nor allow Your Holy One to undergo decay. You have made known to Me the ways of life; You will make Me full of gladness with Your presence.”

Peter declares the fact of the resurrection, “But God raised Him up again.” Peter, for the first time, makes a public declaration of the resurrection of Jesus. This was something the Jewish leadership had tried hard to keep quiet. In Matthew 28:11-15 they had attempted to cover up the resurrection by paying off the guards. But, like most scandals, I am sure this had been whispered widely among the populace. Since it was to have been top secret information quite naturally everyone knew about it.
b. Psalms 110:1, “Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. And so, because he was a prophet and knew that God had sworn to him with an oath to seat one of his descendants on his throne, he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that He was neither abandoned to hades, nor did His flesh suffer decay. This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses. Therefore, having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear. For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says: ‘The Lord said to my Lord, ‘’Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”

* The Father's promise of the Holy Spirit has been now realized.
“Therefore, having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.” “Having poured out” is aorist indicative active which emphasizes the fact that the pouring out of the Holy Spirit was an act that was completed in the past (At the beginning of this event) and continues to be poured out on all flesh. This confirms that the promise from Joel is fulfilled.

C. Now, Peter addresses the whole nation collectively, 36.
“Therefore, let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ—this Jesus whom you crucified.”
1. In Psalms 2, the drama unfolds of the conflict between the enemies of God and his anointed One. These enemies are the nations, the people, the kings of the earth, and the rulers. These have assembled themselves together against their Messiah not willing to accept his rule. After having done all they could do at Calvary to "tear their fetters" and "cast their cords," the roles are now reversed, In verses four through six, it is now the One who sits in heaven who laughs. The Lord now scoffs at them. His anger is displayed and he terrifies them in his fury. In spite of everything man could do to free himself from the rule of Messiah, God says, "I have installed My King!" In verses seven through twelve, he declares the preeminence of the Son saying:
a. "I have begotten You."
b. "I will be to him a Father."
c. "I will give You the nations..."
d. "The ends of the earth are Your possession."
e. "You will break them with the rod of iron."
f. "You will scatter them."
All of these serve to stress the certainty of God's purpose. It will be done! Now, the warning is given to the kings and judges of the earth to submit to the sovereignty of Messiah. What must then follow is God's required response form man.
g. "Worship Jehovah with reverence."
h. "Rejoice and tremble."
i. "Do homage to the Son."
j. "Take refuge in him." This is God's ultimatum to man. If they refuse,
k. "He will become angry."
l. "You will perish in the way."
m. "His wrath will may soon be kindled."

2. In verses 22-36 Peter has confirmed five facts from scripture regarding this Jesus whom they had crucified.
a. God authenticated him.
b. God raised him from the dead.
c. God seated him at his right hand.
d. God seated him on the throne of his father David.
e. God appointed him as LORD, the anointed One. The one you crucified is your Messiah.
f. Jesus is the fulfillment of the prophets. Peter's indictment was “God authenticated him and you killed him.”

Characteristics of the Reunification of a Once Divided Nation; A New Kingdom is Born, 41-47.
“So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls. They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.”

A. Devotion to the apostles teaching – The apostles are universally accepted by the respondents as authoritative and whatever they taught was recognized by the people as being from God. The justification for this devotion was reinforced by the wonders and signs done by the hands of the apostles. The signs done by the apostles served as divine credentials for their message and the response by the people was one of awe. So, the people were convinced of the gospel message on three fronts.

1. By the force of the argumentation of Peter from the prophet Joel and from the testimony of David.
2. By the resurrection of Jesus
3. By the signs done by the apostles. This would seem to serve to convince some of the more hesitant among them.

B. Demonstrations of unity, 42-47
What is being experienced by these Jews was the restoration of the all the tribes into one nation, into one kingdom. For the first time in over 950 years since the division of the nation, both Judah and Israel find solidarity under a common King. This solidarity manifests itself in three forms – fellowship, eating, and worship. The description of these forms is then expanded upon in the following verses.

1. A common sharing – “And all those who had believed were together (Both Judah and Israel) and had all things in common;” There is no more division. Their commonality is rooted in their common relationship with Christ. This manifested itself in the sharing of possessions for the common needs of the body. “And they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.” THIS is true fellowship. This is self-motivated generosity, not coercion and not communistic philosophy. This does not appear to be commanded by the apostles neither here nor anywhere else in the New Testament. This generosity lends credibility to the genuineness of the conversion of these hearers and the unity they now jointly share. All of the old animosities are gone. This generosity is mutually acceptable.
2. Common worship “Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple.”
This was not a short lived existential experience that was only brought about by the heightened emotional experience of the moment and forgotten once the experience had passed. This was continued from day to day. Not only had it continued as time began to pass but as we will see from later examples it intensified. Israel is no longer worshiping at Dan and Bethel while Judah worships in Jerusalem. There is no more Dan and Bethel for Israel. God has taken the “remnant” of both houses and brought them back into Jerusalem to worship the Lord together in the Temple as one nation under one King – Messiah just as the prophets said he would. They are now worshiping God together in common.
3. The common table
“And breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.”
This is a sharing of common meals. This kind of fellowship was never extended to anyone who was considered an enemy, or an infidel, or unclean, or anyone who was otherwise undesirable. This was a manifestation of a common acceptance of one another as brothers because of the common faith factor.
4. The message of the gospel continued to be spread now from house to house with favorable results. “And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.” This is where Church growth happens; not in the pulpit but in living rooms and across kitchen tables.

This is what both Isaiah and Micah had prophesied.
“And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, and the leopard will lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little boy will lead them. Also, the cow and the bear will graze, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox the nursing child will play by the hole of the cobra, and the weaned child will put his hand on the viper’s den. They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.” In other words, they are not devouring one another. Isaiah. 11:6-9. This is not to be understood as literal language.
(Isaiah 35:9, “No lion will be there, nor will any vicious beast go up on it; These will not be found there. But the redeemed will walk there”).

1. This a symbol of natural enemies existing in peace with one another and with man.
2. It is only “In all My holy mountain” - the Church that these conditions exist. The holy mountain of God is Zion – the Church, Hebrews 12:18-23.
3. This would happen when “the whole earth is full of the knowledge of Jehovah.” The filling of the earth was the commission given to the apostle and jointly to us, Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-16, Luke 24:46-49. John 20:19-20 It began here in Acts 2 and continues still.

B. These peaceful conditions would be then extended to the nations.
“And it will come about in the last days that the mountain of the house of the Lord will be established as the chief of the mountains. It will be raised above the hills, and the peoples will stream to it. Many nations will come and say, ‘Come and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord and to the house of the God of Jacob, that He may teach us about His ways and that we may walk in His paths.’ For from Zion will go forth the law, even the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. And He will judge between many peoples and render decisions for mighty, distant nations.” Micah 4:1-8 and Isaiah 2:2-4
1. All the nations would stream into the mountain of the house of the Lord. Here is the exclusive place of peace.
2. The purpose of the assembly of the nations was to learn his ways so that they could walk in his paths.
3. It is only here that men will abide in peace. “Then they will hammer their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; Nation will not lift up sword against nation, and never again will they train for war. Each of them will sit under his vine and under his fig tree, with no one to make them afraid for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken. Though all the peoples walk each in the name of his god, as for us.” Only in the Church do all the nations of men dwell in peace with one another for it is only here that the nations “will walk in the name of the Lord our God forever and ever.”

The Sanctuary of God is Now Among Men.
“I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will place them and multiply them and will set My sanctuary in their midst forever. “My dwelling place also will be with them; and I will be their God, and they will be My people. “And the nations will know that I am the LORD who sanctifies Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forever.” Ezekiel 37:26-27

1. Acts 2 is the fulfillment of the covenant initiated to Abraham in Genesis 17:7-8 and repeated some 17 times in the Old Testament and twice in the New Testament in which God says, “I will be their God, and they will be My people.”