Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Gee, sounds like God is going to change His mind. Did you always hope for a "wishy washy" God?

The Bible says that God changes his mind (about 35x). Change your view, not the Bible. God can and does change His mind, but it is not fickle, capricious, wishy washy like you do. To not change His mind in certain situations would compromise His character and ways. God is not a rock and changing one's mind at times is vital, not flawed.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
God is all-knowing, but that does not mean He knows where Yoda is right now. God knows all things knowable. The future is inherently unknowable as a certainty if there are free will moral agents. This is by God's sovereign choice. God is not ignorant of anything knowable.

The parallel is that it is not a denial of omnipotence to say that God cannot make square circles. In your view, God is all-powerful, so He could do this, but no thinking atheist or theist would agree with you. We need to qualify terms because God's revelation does.

Do you always use Yoda and Alice in wonderland to make your Biblical points?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Let's play the prophecy game one more time.

God said to Jonah:

Later we learn that:

It's a simple game really. Did God lie when He told Jonah to tell Nineveh that they would be overthrown in 40 days if He knew that they would not be overthrown in 40 days? He said that He was going to do something and He did not do that which He said He was going to do.

If God has exhaustive foreknowledge and He knew that Nineveh was not going to be overthrown in 40 days when He said that they would be overthrown in 40 days then He lied when He said that they would be overthrown in 40 days.

In their view, God becomes a liar with the Hezekiah incident.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
The Bible says that God changes his mind (about 35x). Change your view, not the Bible. God can and does change His mind, but it is not fickle, capricious, wishy washy like you do. To not change His mind in certain situations would compromise His character and ways. God is not a rock and changing one's mind at times is vital, not flawed.

My, my...Shifting sands.

God is portrayed as a Rock many times in Scripture.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Gee, sounds like God is going to change His mind. Did you always hope for a "wishy washy" God?

You have posted several times since I asked you to play the "prophecy game". You could be ignoring it or perhaps you just missed it. Just in case you missed my post...click here.

It's a simple game really. Just answer the question as to whether or not God lied when He said He was going to do something knowing full well (according to exhaustive foreknowledge) that He was not going to do that which he said He was going to do.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You have posted several times since I asked you to play the "prophecy game". You could be ignoring it or perhaps you just missed it. Just in case you missed my post...click here.

It's a simple game really. Just answer the question as to whether or not God lied when He said He was going to do something knowing full well (according to exhaustive foreknowledge) that He was not going to do that which he said He was going to do.

I did miss it.

Have you ever thought that you were missing something in your interpretation of that Scripture?

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I did miss it.

Have you ever thought that you were missing something in your interpretation of that Scripture?

So you are implying that it doesn't mean what it says so that you can continue to believe what you want to believe?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
So you are implying that it doesn't mean what it says so that you can continue to believe what you want to believe?

Well, at least I don't believe that God or the Scriptures lied.

The Scriptures prove God's omniscience. I never have looked for the Scriptures to disprove God's all knowing.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Well, at least I don't believe that God or the Scriptures lied.

The Scriptures prove God's omniscience. I never have looked for the Scriptures to disprove God's all knowing.

Could you explain to me what your interpretation of the following actually means?

I stated that God told Jonah:

Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying, “Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and preach to it the message that I tell you.”...“Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!”

To me this means that God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell them that in 40 days they are going to be overthrown.

I then stated that the Bible tells us:

...God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

To me this means that God did not do that which He told Jonah that He was going to do.

I then asked you:

Did God lie when He told Jonah to tell Nineveh that they would be overthrown in 40 days if He knew that they would not be overthrown in 40 days?

I summarized with:

If God has exhaustive foreknowledge and He knew that Nineveh was not going to be overthrown in 40 days when He said that they would be overthrown in 40 days then He lied when He said that they would be overthrown in 40 days.

To which you replied:

Could you please interpret the passages I have quoted so that I can understand what they really mean?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If a God is omniscient and omnipotent what reason would he have to change his mind?
The words omniscient and omnipotent in reference to God are not meant to push away the idea that God can relent/repent/change His mind concerning our just punishment if we repent or return unto faith in Him.

Last edited:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Could you explain to me what your interpretation of the following actually means?

I stated that God told Jonah:

To me this means that God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell them that in 40 days they are going to be overthrown.

I then stated that the Bible tells us:

To me this means that God did not do that which He told Jonah that He was going to do.

I then asked you:

Did God lie when He told Jonah to tell Nineveh that they would be overthrown in 40 days if He knew that they would not be overthrown in 40 days?

I summarized with:

To which you replied:

Could you please interpret the passages I have quoted so that I can understand what they really mean?

Read the book of Nahum.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Read the book of Nahum.

So I asked you for your interpretation of what the passages I provided mean and your interpretation of those passages is...

"Read the book of Nahum."

:dizzy:

I provided my interpretation now could you provide yours?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
So I asked you for your interpretation of what the passages I provided mean and your interpretation of those passages is...

"Read the book of Nahum."

:dizzy:

I provided my interpretation now could you provide yours?

You can look through this thread Lon answered it and I agreed with him. I'm not going to waste my time trying to change a persons mind who starts off convinced that God lies.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
You can look through this thread Lon answered it and I agreed with him. I'm not going to waste my time trying to change a persons mind who starts off convinced that God lies.

You questioned my interpretation of scripture. I provided specific verse with my interpretation of what I thought they mean. Could you simply provide your interpretation of the scriptures that I provided which you believe I am interpreting incorrectly?

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

And two more things:

(1) You should link to Lon's answer.

(2) I never ever once claimed that God lied. I asked you if you thought He did based upon my interpretation of verses I provided and your belief in exhaustive foreknowledge.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You questioned my interpretation of scripture. I provided specific verse with my interpretation of what I thought they mean. Could you simply provide your interpretation of the scriptures that I provided which you believe I am interpreting incorrectly?

Because you are so focused on proving that God lied you have missed the heart of the message in the Book of Jonah. Honestly I don't know where to start.

(1) You should link to Lon's answer.

(2) I never ever once claimed that God lied. I asked you if you thought He did based upon my interpretation of verses I provided and your belief in exhaustive foreknowledge.

It's your problem not mine. You find Lon's answer.

No God did not lie.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Because you are so focused on proving that God lied you have missed the heart of the message in the Book of Jonah. Honestly I don't know where to start.

It's your problem not mine. You find Lon's answer.

No God did not lie.

You could start by simply providing your interpretation of the verses that I provided and you claimed I was misinterpreting.

It's that simple. I provided some verses. You stated I was misinterpreting them. I provided the verses again with my interpretation and then asked for your interpretation.

In response...you said that I should read Nahum and then stated that Lon gave an answer that you agreed with...somewhere.

How about you tell me what you think the verses mean?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You could start by simply providing your interpretation of the verses that I provided and you claimed I was misinterpreting.

It's that simple. I provided some verses. You stated I was misinterpreting them. I provided the verses again with my interpretation and then asked for your interpretation.

In response...you said that I should read Nahum and then stated that Lon gave an answer that you agreed with...somewhere.

How about you tell me what you think the verses mean?

The reason that Jonah didn't want to preach the warning to Nineveh, (remember Jonah went directly against what God told him to do and went to Tarshish instead of Nineveh) is because Jonah knew that they would repent and be spared. The minor prophet Amos had prophesied that the Assyrians (the inhabitants of Nineveh) would come against Israel. Jonah did not want to be Gods agent to warn Nineveh. No God did not change His mind. He used Jonah to fulfill the prophecy of Amos.

Status
Not open for further replies.