Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Wrong. God is Biblical not "philosophical" . Time is Biblical and the Bible says God is timeless/eternal.

You must have a worldly understanding of "eternal".

If the God of the Bible isn't eternal and holds eternity in His hands than who and what does?

Huh? The Bible does not say that God is timeless, but it does say He is eternal (quit begging the question). The God of the Bible is eternal, but that does not mean He must be timeless (whatever that means to a personal God).

Time is a philosophical (for some physical) concept. It is mentioned in the Bible (time is mentioned in eternity/heaven several times disproving your view), but not defined. Plato and Augustine popularized your philosophical view. The Hebraic view is endless time (eternal), not 'eternal now' (false Gk. view).

You really don't understand the nature of godly philosophy (that we all do), theology, time vs eternity, so don't be so simplistic/dogmatic.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Really? God/Jesus/Holy Spirit is not eternally incarnated...

God has revealed Himself in a succession but that doesn't mean (nor does the Bible say) He is void of all knowing.

Succession=time. Checkmate (sequence/duration).

God is all knowing, but we differ as to objects of certain knowledge (contingent future choices are fundamentally different than fixed past or present reality...God knows reality as it is and is ignorant of nothing knowable).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God created eternity. I could give you a verse but you don't need a verse you need revelation.

Only if you deny His eternality.

We don't need eternality and all verses are subject to sound exegesis, not mystical, subjective error.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The eternality of God has been presented to you "open theists" time and again. Read the Bible at least or at BEST believe in the God of the Bible!

When I said that "man created time" what I meant is that it is the same thing as the pagans who worshiped the stars and the moons that prescribed time. God works on a "time table" but He isn't bound by time. Nor does the Bible say that He is.

You wrongly confuse the created measures of time (sun, moon, stars, clocks, etc.) with the fundamental concept of time itself.

We affirm eternality/uncreatedness of God, but the issue is whether His experience is durative (every page of Scripture) or timeless (Platonic musings that are not biblically defensible).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Actually, in reality, Biblically and Scripturally speaking: He IS!!!

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Huh? This verse is not proof for eternal now/timelessness, but shows that His character is constant. The verb tenses in Jn. 1 and Phil. 2 show that Christ was not eternally incarnated/flesh, but became/added such in real space/time history. Even eternal now proponents do not claim He is eternally incarnate, so you are talking sci-fi wrong speculations, not biblical theology.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Check, check.. GOD became a Man. Yes He did. Who are you going to say came first. God or Jesus?

The eternal Word is eternal with the Father (Jn. 1:1), but He only became flesh (Jn. 1:14; Phil 2:5-11) in the first century. Even eternal now proponents do not dispute this. You are trying to find a loop hole in logic to retain a wrong view. Give it up.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I am not aware of an Open Theist who does not believe that God is eternal.
If God is not "bound by time" (by the way I am not really sure what that means) are you implying that God is, right now (our now), also present in our future? Assuming so, and assuming that the future exists to God just as our present does, can God "reach" into the future and bring my future self to our present?

In other words, is it possible for me to meet my future self by having God bring me from the future to meet me right now? It would be possible if the future exists and God is just as present in the future as He is in our present.

You as an open theist are saying that God is bound by time. I am saying that God is not bound by time and that God is timeless/eternal. Not bound by time. Get that straight. !

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You as an open theist are saying that God is bound by time. I am saying that God is not bound by time and that God is timeless/eternal. Not bound by time. Get that straight. !

This is a straw man showing your ignorance. We are not saying God is bound or limited by time. I have studied Open Theism from prominent scholar's writings for over 32 years. You are believing the misunderstandings and misrepresentations of critics or your own ideas not based on decades of objective research.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Duh! is God eternal therefore timeless?

Your mistake is to think that eternal must mean timeless. As I said, we see time in heaven/eternity in Revelation. We also see tensed expressions used of God (Rev. 1:4) and definite sequence in His experiences from Gen. to Rev. Timelessness is a philosophical concept that makes no sense. The few proof texts for it do not support it when properly exegeted.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Your mistake is to think that eternal must mean timeless. As I said, we see time in heaven/eternity in Revelation. We also see tensed expressions used of God (Rev. 1:4) and definite sequence in His experiences from Gen. to Rev. Timelessness is a philosophical concept that makes no sense. The few proof texts for it do not support it when properly exegeted.

No your mistake is to say that God is less than eternal. You can say all day that I prescribe a philosophical understanding of God being "timeless" and you still fall short of the understanding of Gods attributes.

Timeless means eternal anyone who would try to add a philosophical understanding and split the definition is a fool.

sky.

BANNED
Banned

Blah, blah, blah...Your verse and its "tensed expressions" has nothing to do with what open theism really teaches.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
No your mistake is to say that God is less than eternal. You can say all day that I prescribe a philosophical understanding of God being "timeless" and you still fall short of the understanding of Gods attributes.

Timeless means eternal anyone who would try to add a philosophical understanding and split the definition is a fool.

God is eternal, omniscient, immutable, etc., but these must be properly defined. Is God impassible? Classic theology says so, but even they are rethinking the wrong Platonic ideas adopted by Augustine.

You are reactive, not responsive. These things need to be engaged at an intellectual, spiritual level, not your simplistic emotional level.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Blah, blah, blah...Your verse and its "tensed expressions" has nothing to do with what open theism really teaches.

You cannot take the verse at face value. Issues of the nature of time vs eternity, free will (LFW vs compatibilism), etc. are relevant. Academic discussions wrestle with these things, but you would rather stick your head in the sand than consider flaws/weaknesses in your thinking or strengths of other views that you fail to understand or even be aware of. This is not being teachable leaving you prone to error and tradition that is not truth.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I AM is self-existence, eternality. It does not mean He is timeless. It is also wrong to assume that God created time (vs measures of time).

Your statement is one of the shortest direct contradiction in terms I've ever seen. :eek:

I suppose black is white is shorter.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Wrong. God is Biblical not "philosophical" . Time is Biblical and the Bible says God is timeless/eternal.

You must have a worldly understanding of "eternal".

If the God of the Bible isn't eternal and holds eternity in His hands than who and what does?

Amen God created time

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
God is eternal, omniscient, immutable, etc., but these must be properly defined. Is God impassible? Classic theology says so, but even they are rethinking the wrong Platonic ideas adopted by Augustine.

You are reactive, not responsive. These things need to be engaged at an intellectual, spiritual level, not your simplistic emotional level.

Aaand He doesn't know how to make a circle square :eek: the fact that He created circles and squares to fulfill different purposes was just a happy co-incident :eek:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

There is coming a day when time will be no more, God who created it for a purpose will dispense with it.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

Are you going to attempt to answer my question as to whether or not it is possible for me to meet my future self?

Status
Not open for further replies.