Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePresbyteers

...You have the "free will" choice of who you will serve.

I haven't seen the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
There aren't any other gods to chose.
They don't exist.
Only one exist and only the Elects knows it.

so+many+gods.jpg

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You are funny. The WORLD is not God. LOL! You can't see those qualities in God ALONE. That's your problem. Get God would ya!

Get back to me when you can say something intelligent on the matter.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Get back to me after you figure out what makes God, God.

The "literal" Biblical account of God makes God, God. The timeless spaceless view of God comes from natural theology and contradicts scripture.

Can you respond without a one line mockery of what I just said?

Do you know what natural theology is?

"Natural theology, thus, is that part of the philosophy of religion dealing with describing the nature of the gods, or, in monotheism, arguing for or against attributes or non-attributes of God, and especially the existence of God, purely philosophically, that is, without recourse to any special or supposedly supernatural revelation."--wiki​

"In the Middle Ages two basic types of theology began to crystallize...There was natural theology according to which a genuine knowledge of God and his relationship with the world could be attained by rational reflection on the nature of things without having to appeal to Christian teaching. And revealed theology which was concerned with what was disclosed to man by God through the revelation recorded in the scriptures. Revealed theology goes back to Biblical revelation, and Natural theology back to classical Greek philosophy of Plato and Aristotle."--1 Brown Colin, Philosophy and the Christian Faith, Tyndale Press, p. 33​

I explain the contrast between Revealed and Natural theology on my website page,

D Y N A M I C F R E E T H E I S M

--Dave

sky.

BANNED
Banned
The "literal" Biblical account of God makes God, God. The timeless spaceless view of God comes from natural theology and contradicts scripture.

Can you respond without a one line mockery of what I just said?

Do you know what natural theology is?

"Natural theology, thus, is that part of the philosophy of religion dealing with describing the nature of the gods, or, in monotheism, arguing for or against attributes or non-attributes of God, and especially the existence of God, purely philosophically, that is, without recourse to any special or supposedly supernatural revelation."--wiki​

"In the Middle Ages two basic types of theology began to crystallize...There was natural theology according to which a genuine knowledge of God and his relationship with the world could be attained by rational reflection on the nature of things without having to appeal to Christian teaching. And revealed theology which was concerned with what was disclosed to man by God through the revelation recorded in the scriptures. Revealed theology goes back to Biblical revelation, and Natural theology back to classical Greek philosophy of Plato and Aristotle."--1 Brown Colin, Philosophy and the Christian Faith, Tyndale Press, p. 33​

I explain the contrast between Revealed and Natural theology on my website page,

D Y N A M I C F R E E T H E I S M

--Dave

Natural theology is as natural as a kid looking up in the sky and realizing that an all powerful all knowing and all existing God created that wonderful and unexplainable (other than it was created by a Divine being) sky full of starts and galaxies holding perfectly together by someone or something. That Someone who can do that to me is God.

Revealed theology is what is written in Scripture. The Scriptures prove that my ability to see natural theology was the beginning of my correct understanding. Natural theology is not a philosophy it is a God given gift to everyone who does not corrupt that gift with vain knowledge.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Natural theology is as natural as a kid looking up in the sky and realizing that an all powerful all knowing and all existing God created that wonderful and unexplainable (other than it was created by a Divine being) sky full of starts and galaxies holding perfectly together by someone or something. That Someone who can do that to me is God.

Revealed theology is what is written in Scripture. The Scriptures prove that my ability to see natural theology was the beginning of my correct understanding. Natural theology is not a philosophy it is a God given gift to everyone who does not corrupt that gift with vain knowledge.

natural theology noun
theology based on knowledge of the natural world and on human reason, apart from revelation.

"Natural theology, thus, is that part of the philosophy of religion dealing with describing the nature of the gods, or, in monotheism, arguing for or against attributes or non-attributes of God, and especially the existence of God, purely philosophically, that is, without recourse to any special or supposedly supernatural revelation."

"Plato gives the earliest surviving account of a 'natural theology', in his Laws establishing the existence of the gods by rational argument. Aristotle in his Metaphysics argues for the existence of an 'unmoved mover', an argument taken up in medieval scholastics."

Natural theology from the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

"Natural theology was born among the ancient Greeks, and its meeting with ancient Judeo-Christian-Muslim thought constituted a complex cultural event. From that meeting there developed throughout the Middle Ages for Christians a sophisticated distinction between theology in the Christian sense and natural theology in the ancient Greek sense. Although many thinkers in the Middle Ages tried to unite theology and natural theology into a unity of thought, the project frequently met with objections."​
I suggest you get an education on this subject before you making any more comments about it.

--Dave

sky.

BANNED
Banned
natural theology noun
theology based on knowledge of the natural world and on human reason, apart from revelation.

--Dave​

That's exactly what I said. Too bad I didn't need to know what wiki and Plato said to figure it out. It's Biblical. We are born with an ability to see natural theology.

Romans 1:20

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,​

godrulz

Hall of Fame
to say that God is in time is also an absurdity

I would not say that God is 'in' time since this is spatial, which time is not. Time (sequence, succession, duration) is an aspect of the eternal God's (uncreated) experience. Endless time vs philosophical, Platonic timelessness is defensible.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Thank you. I didn't think "doof Dave" and "god-doesn't rule" would get it.

God does rule, but not in a Calvinistic, control freak way. His rule/sovereignty is providential, relational, responsive, not unilateral, tightly controlling (if it was, evil would not exist and things would not be such a mess).

Sassy pants, you are.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
What don't you get about the divine attributes of God? Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent. THE attributes that make Him God. If you want a God of your own making that's fine but the God of the Bible is not this science formula your mentors like to define for you.

We fully affirm these attributes, but your mistake is to assume that classical views/tradition is biblical. Even classical theologians are rightly rethinking impassibility, aseity, strong immutability, etc.

I suspect you are not really conversant with these issues and are content to have a Sunday School simplistic understanding whether it is accurate or not.

Denying your view of things is not tantamount to denying a biblical view (unless you are infallible).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
That's exactly what I said. Too bad I didn't need to know what wiki and Plato said to figure it out. It's Biblical. We are born with an ability to see natural theology.

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

General revelation (creation) is foundational, but not exhaustive. We also need special revelation (Word, Christ).

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Yes. Apparently some think general revelation and the study thereof, natural theology (a.k.a., philosophical theology), is a bad thing. Sigh.

It is really quite simple in that no claim to any moral theology in special revelation can be made without natural theology as the foundation.

AMR

sky.

BANNED
Banned
General revelation (creation) is foundational, but not exhaustive. We also need special revelation (Word, Christ).

I agree general revelation does not contain the content of the gospel but to frustrate it with "theology" or vain knowledge doesn't seem very wise. General revelation can be seen in the providence of God through history.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Yes. Apparently some think general revelation and the study thereof, natural theology (a.k.a., philosophical theology), is a bad thing. Sigh.

It is really quite simple in that no claim to any moral theology in special revelation can be made without natural theology as the foundation.

AMR

I don't really like the use of the term "natural theology". General revelation doesn't appear to be a theology in and of itself.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't really like the use of the term "natural theology". General revelation doesn't appear to be a theology in and of itself.
Well here you simply quibble with the word "theology". Sorry, but the word stands as defined. Studying God as revealed in nature or as specially revealed are all theologies whether you like it or not. ;)

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.