Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Timothy
You will find all kinds of views on the "church" and "when the church began." For the basis of your question, I will briefly summarize my belief.

First, I am defining the "church" as the "body of Christ."

Ephesians 1:22-23 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Second, the body of Christ could not have begun until Paul was saved on the road to Damascus. Paul's gospel is that there is no difference between Jew and Gentile, and of salvation by grace through faith alone.

Third, it is all too common to take Paul's epistles and "read" them back into the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and early Acts. Those books needs to be read in context with the message that was delivered at that time.

The early part of the book of Acts is a continuation of the prophetic kingdom program or Israel (the Jew is still "first"). Note that the early chapters of Acts are about Israel/Jews:

Acts 1: 6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

Acts 2:22 ...Ye men of Israel...

Acts 2:14 ...Ye men of Judaea...

Early Acts concerns the phrophetic program

Acts 2:16 this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel

Whereas Pauls' gosepl was kept secret, until revealed to him

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began

A very "complicated" topic for a message board.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.