Pocahontas

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mountains out of mole hills.
The things people complain about just cracks me up sometimes.

I, personally, got a HUGE chuckle at Trump's Pocahontas comment towards Elizabeth Warren.

So, for my jollies, thought I would post some reactions to the comment.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Mountains out of mole hills.

And yet here you are, making a thread about it.

The things people complain about just cracks me up sometimes.

Amazing how people miss the point sometimes. This isn't about Warren, or whether she does or doesn't have Cherokee blood in her lineage.

This is about the president of the United States using an occasion meant to honor Native American heroes, as a soapbox for his petty, self-serving agenda.

Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe leader Harold Frazier:

I am deeply ashamed of the way the President of the United States has treated the veterans during an honoring ceremony at the White House. Veterans are brave heroes who sacrificed everything, despite the historical trauma to tribal nations, when asked to defend the United States. Absolutely nothing should have taken away from honoring the veterans for their contributions to the war that ensured the American way of life.

The President of the United States had an opportunity to honor veterans and bridge gaps in the relationship Tribes have with the Federal government. Instead, he chose to disgrace himself, his position and the nation he represents. It has been more than 200 years of living together yet the President of the United States knows nothing about us. We have been forced to learn the way of the American life. We have learned American religions, language, economy, politics and society. We all share in following the American dream of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. A dream that all of those things we learn about, try to keep us from achieving. The President’s comments are another reminder that we are not allowed to participate.

Pocahontas was only a child when she became a victim of rape, kidnapping, imprisonment, and her forced conversion to Christianity. What happened to Pocahontas is still happening today to our women. Native American women continue to be victims of rape and exploitation by white men.
The President of the United States is practicing that by exploiting native women as an insult for political machismo. Pocahontas is beloved by native people and is recognized as a victim of European colonialism. To use her name in that manner is disgusting and reflective of the President of the United States’ ignorance.

This President of the United States does not deserve to represent the American people if he cannot acknowledge the contributions of the people who make America great. The President of the United States has shown no responsibility when caring for American resources or the people.
An apology is in order for the warriors that were present, to the native nations and the United States for his behavior. The President of the United States wanted to utilize an opportunity to honor native warriors who defended this land to make a political attack. I have one for him, leave the office you bought and take your swamp things with you.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
National Congress of American Indians:

National Congress of American Indians President Jefferson Keel issued the following statement:

"We regret that the President’s use of the name Pocahontas as a slur to insult a political adversary is overshadowing the true purpose of today’s White House ceremony,” stated NCAI President Jefferson Keel, a decorated U.S. Army officer and Vietnam War combat veteran. “Today was about recognizing the remarkable courage and invaluable contributions of our Native code talkers. That’s who we honor today and everyday – the three code talkers present at the White House representing the 10 other elderly living code talkers who were unable to join them, and the hundreds of other code talkers from the Cherokee, Choctaw, Comanche, Lakota, Meskwaki, Mohawk, Navajo, Tlingit, and other tribes who served during World Wars I and II. We also honor the service and bravery of all of our veterans and those currently serving from Indian Country. Native people serve in the Armed Forces at a higher rate than any other group in the country, and have served in every war in this nation’s history.

And we honor the contributions of Pocahontas, a hero to her people, the Pamunkey Indian Tribe in Virginia, who reached across uncertain boundaries and brought people together. Once again, we call upon the President to refrain from using her name in a way that denigrates her legacy."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
After the event, the Navajo Nation released a statement calling the president’s words “culturally insensitive”.

“In this day and age, all tribal nations still battle insensitive references to our people. The prejudice that Native American people face is an unfortunate historical legacy,” said a statement by Navajo Nation President Russell Begaye. “As Native Americans, we are proud people who have taken care of this land long before there was the United States of America and we will continue to fight for this Nation.”

Begaye added: “It was our code talkers that ensured the freedom of the United States, and that’s what is important to remember here.”

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Keep posting videos, Tambora. It only serves to illustrate how you're intentionally missing the point because you don't want to see the point.

You want this to be about Warren, and you won't allow yourself to see that it's about the insult that Trump continues to inflict on Native Americans.

He doesn't care if he insults Native Americans, and you don't either.

Sad.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Best line in the video ----- "She shoplifted someone's identity, and then when she is exposed as Trump did accurately, they threw a tantrum"

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
This thread is about Warren and her fraud.

Then you should have titled the thread: Trump is in the news again for insulting Native Americans and has been rebuked by several Native American leaders. But because I refuse to think Trump could possibly be wrong or insensitive or just plain stupidly selfish about anything at all, I'm gonna make fun of people who are disgusted by Trump's behavior and instead focus on how Elizabeth Warren claims she's part Cherokee but she can't prove it and that'll show everyone how wonderful Trump is and how evil "the left" is.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
maxresdefault.jpg