ECT physical death separates body from spirit

way 2 go

physical death separates body from spirit but the spirit lives
on spiritually dead or spiritually alive

Ecc_3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart,

1Sa 28:11 Then the woman said, "Whom shall I bring up for you?" He said, "Bring up Samuel for me."
1Sa 28:12 When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice.

Luk 16:22 And it happened that the beggar died and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom. The rich one also died and was buried.

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame.

some have argued the body and soul is destroyed

Mat 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. But rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

but that is not the spirit

Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit,

destroying body and soul but not the eternal spirit
Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet doing signs before it, (by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast), and those who had worshiped his image. The two were thrown alive into the Lake of Fire burning with brimstone.

the spirit continuing on in spiritual death
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead in it. And death and hell delivered up the dead in them. And each one of them was judged according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

Bradley D

The Bible distinguishes between spirit and soul. In the NT it uses pneuma for spirit whose basic meaning is wind, breath, and spirit. And psuché for soul whose basic meaning the soul, life, and self. Spirit is used for the Holy Spirit. In humans it is an animating force. One can be "poor in spirit." There are also called "unclean spirits." Which seem to be outside forces that can inhabit the body and of which Christ drove out of people. The two words seem close in meaning. But as mentioned the soul can be destroyed, but not the spirit. In the end Christ being given the role of final judge by God the Father determines where the spirit will spend eternity.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

A soul is a living being.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living being. (Genesis 2:7 NKJV)​

iamaberean

Since Adam, humans are born dead. That is why Jesus said "ye must be born again of the water and the Spirit".

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
"though he were dead"
someone buried can not believe, but someone that is spiritually dead can.

Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Now Jesus is saying, if you, as a living human, continue to believe, you shall never die.

Do you
"Believeth thou this?"

Last edited:

oatmeal

physical death separates body from spirit but the spirit lives
on spiritually dead or spiritually alive

Ecc_3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart,

1Sa 28:11 Then the woman said, "Whom shall I bring up for you?" He said, "Bring up Samuel for me."
1Sa 28:12 When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice.

Luk 16:22 And it happened that the beggar died and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom. The rich one also died and was buried.

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame.

Mat 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. But rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

but that is not the spirit

Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit,

destroying body and soul but not the eternal spirit
Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet doing signs before it, (by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast), and those who had worshiped his image. The two were thrown alive into the Lake of Fire burning with brimstone.

the spirit continuing on in spiritual death
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead in it. And death and hell delivered up the dead in them. And each one of them was judged according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

Psalm 2:8-9 and other passages teach us that there is no consciousness in death.

themuzicman

A soul is a living being.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living being. (Genesis 2:7 NKJV)​

Genesis 1:30 And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.

Animals have souls?

way 2 go

Difference in physical death and spiritual death. When Jesus said we would never die if we believe, he was speaking of spiritual death.
if someone is made spiritually alive they continue on
spiritually alive in heaven for eternity
in a resurrected new incorruptible body

if someone is spiritually dead when they die the continue on
spiritually dead for eternity in hell

oatmeal

Difference in physical death and spiritual death. When Jesus said we would never die if we believe, he was speaking of spiritual death.

That is correct.

Death for a believer is a temporary condition, referred to euphemistically as "sleep" in I Thessalonians 4:13-18

Jesus died, are you saying he did not believe?

iamaberean

That is correct.

Death for a believer is a temporary condition, referred to euphemistically as "sleep" in I Thessalonians 4:13-18

Jesus died, are you saying he did not believe?

Death was temporary for those of faith prior to Jesus. Since Jesus, those that believed in him never died.

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Death was temporary for those of faith prior to Jesus. Since Jesus, those that believed in him never died.

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

This day, the day of His Kingdom, would he be with Him in paradise.

Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

LA

Cross Reference

This day, the day of His Kingdom, would he be with Him in paradise.

Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

LA

Paradise was the abode of the righteous dead [grave] Jesus descended into and spent three days revealing Himself to the captives before setting them free.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

...again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said: “Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts. (Hebrews 4:7 NKJV)

For He says: “In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you.”

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Corinthians 6:2 NKJV)​

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Paradise was the abode of the righteous dead [grave] Jesus descended into and spent three days revealing Himself to the captives before setting them free.

No. thats an old wives tale.

1Pe 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Christ is the name of the Spirit which was that rock in the wilderness.

It is not talking about Jesus.

When Jesus died He was dead, not preaching to anyone, and the cross etc, freed the captives--

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
Heb 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Cross Reference

The Bible distinguishes between spirit and soul. In the NT it uses pneuma for spirit whose basic meaning is wind, breath, and spirit. And psuché for soul whose basic meaning the soul, life, and self. Spirit is used for the Holy Spirit. In humans it is an animating force. One can be "poor in spirit." There are also called "unclean spirits." Which seem to be outside forces that can inhabit the body and of which Christ drove out of people. The two words seem close in meaning. But as mentioned the soul can be destroyed, but not the spirit. In the end Christ being given the role of final judge by God the Father determines where the spirit will spend eternity.

Indeed, the unreconciled soul will be destroyed and yet always exist. Paradise and the graves of the dead testify to that fact; the account of the rich man and Lazuarus proves it; those righteous captives Jesus was able resurrect while the others in torment had to remain there because there was no where else they could reside upon the separation by death of their spirit..

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
According to Hell deniers, Jesus preached to the unconscious when he descended into Hades.

There's demonic possession- wonder what those spirits are doing, not being awake and all :rolleyes:

They treat Hell as if it is merely a tactic or theory- it is not. The early Christians were well aware of Hell and the wicked people around them who were going to it.

It's a little something called 'justice'- and people have become so passive in their ideology that such a word doesn't even exist with them.