Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Phelps Pot o' Gold & the BEL Telethon

This is the show from Monday February 2nd, 2009.

SUMMARY:

* Annual BEL Broadcast Telethon: So far, our listeners have given 1% of our $20,000 goal to keep Bob Enyart broadcasting through 2009! Please help by giving online or by calling 1-800-8Enyart!

* Michael Phelps' Pot o' Gold: Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps admitted to smoking pot and he has apologized profusely, repented, and said, "I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again." At BEL we wish Michael well. Regarding blaming his behavior on his age: "I'm 23 years old... I acted in a youthful... way," as the pastor of Denver Bible Church, if I counsel a teenager or a family having difficulty with a rebellious teen, I never suggest that we should expect rebellion in young people as they grow up. There are simply too many wonderful young men and women that honor their mother and father, that never openly rebel against God, to take the easy-way out and make the excuse that everybody does it. Everybody doesn't do it. True, everyone who lives long enough to develop to the age at which they are making moral decisions, every such person other than Jesus Christ, has sinned, because we inherit the flesh from our father, and from our grandfather, and ultimately, from Adam. For all the world sinned in Adam, and thus, death came to the human race. But let's not give unwarranted excuses to teenagers, or employees, or anyone, for open rebellion and a refusal to humble oneself before parents and before God. Phelps would have been better to not further harming the reputation of young people, and not propagating excuses as though we expect youth to abuse alcohol and drugs. Regardless though, we are so thankful that Michael Phelps has apologized and promised to never get high again.

Bob noticed the imbalance that favors gold medals for swimming, for example, as compared to other sports. That imbalance seems way too wide. Of course different strokes, various distances, and relays, require different skills. But compare that to the sport of hockey which requires greatly divergent skills such as skating and goaltending; and great passing seems like a relay, and slap shots are quite different from backward skating and puck handling. Hockey requires as many or probably more varying skills than, say, track, or swimming. So it seems too much of an imbalance to offer just one gold medal for all the extraordinary effort in hockey by so many talented sportsmen, and then offer seventeen gold medals for swimming. It's just so far out of balance, the medal inflation in swimming, that the number of medals won does not help as much as it could in comparing the great Olympic athletes.

* NBC Prefers Smut Over Life-Affirming Ad: NBC reversed its decision and turned down a Super Bowl ad that merely affirmed life by showing a child in the womb. The Never Believe in Christ anti-evangelism outlet preferred instead to flood the public airwaves with sexually immoral ads plugging pathetic products and their own filthy programs, using women as props, like meat hanging in the window of a butcher shop. Of course, everyone can do as the Enyart family does, and just say no to watching NBC programming :) !

* Hermeneutic Seminar Debrief: Bob's Indiana seminars were a great success with people attending from five states to study God's Word! If you missed the seminar, Hermeneutics: Tools for Studying the Bible, you can still enjoy the teaching via CD! Learn how to use tools of interpretation as you study the Bible. Bob presents the principles involved for prioritizing these hermeneutics and how to decide which tool to use in which instance. You'll love it! Just call 1-800-8Enyart and order the Hermeneutics CD!

Today's Resource: For our February BEL Broadcast Telethon, save $20 on any two Bible Study albums for a gift of $50 (normally $69.98) and save more than $50 on any four BEL resources (including The Plot, etc.) for a gift of $100 to help Bob Enyart stay on the air for another year! You can browse our online KGOV Store to select the titles you are most interested in, and then please call 1-800-8Enyart to order, or send a check to Bob Enyart Live, PO Box 583, Arvada CO 80001. Also get the second month FREE if you sign up for any of our Subscription Services (like our BEL Televised Classics), and SAVE up to $150 if you mention the telethon to get 10% off our Enyart Library (one of everything!), the BEL Audio Library, or the BEL Video Library!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The broadband stream reports an error opening the file.

Jukia

3 of my kids were swimmers in high school and college. The different strokes required different muscles etc. While they all had good free styles, one could not do the backstroke to save his life and one had a breast stroke that seemed to move him backwards! Runners get medals for different distances, I see swimming somewhat akin to that.

On a more substantive note, while I dont know Phelps, I would not be surprised if his social skills are a bit undeveloped and in addition he may well feel like he has been released from prison and just has trouble dealing with all the extra time. Swimming is a practice intensive sport, and while you have teamates you interact with, the practices, in particlular, are really solo matters. In other sports you have much more interaction with teammates especially in practice. If you are training for hours in a pool, much of it is with your head in the water and you cannot talk to anyone.

pqmomba8

What a TOTAL non-event - "oh no, how horrible, Michael Phelps smoked pot.....ooooohhhh, the sky is falling." I'm glad to see that (at least thus far) the endorsing companies have good sense not to pull their sponsorships. Jeeeez.......something as benign as smoking a little pot and you get this brooohaha.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
What a TOTAL non-event - "oh no, how horrible, Michael Phelps smoked pot.....ooooohhhh, the sky is falling." I'm glad to see that (at least thus far) the endorsing companies have good sense not to pull their sponsorships. Jeeeez.......something as benign as smoking a little pot and you get this brooohaha.

At what point (or even what type of drug) would you deem it necessary to create a "brooohaha" over?

If someone smokes a little crack...come on...it's just a little crack. There a people out there who murder, rape, and kidnap. Police should be out looking for those people.

If someone murders just one person...come on...it's just one person. There are people out there murdering a lot more than just one, raping, kidnapping, etc...

At what point do you take drug use to be serious?

Jukia

At what point (or even what type of drug) would you deem it necessary to create a "brooohaha" over?

If someone smokes a little crack...come on...it's just a little crack. There a people out there who murder, rape, and kidnap. Police should be out looking for those people.

If someone murders just one person...come on...it's just one person. There are people out there murdering a lot more than just one, raping, kidnapping, etc...

A hit on a bong by a 20 something at a party gets raised to murder? Get a life.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
A hit on a bong by a 20 something at a party gets raised to murder? Get a life.

I never equated smoking marijuana with murder. I was merely asking a question as to where the line is to be drawn.

And by the way, you have done exactly what Bob said people do. You dismiss (or explain) this behavior as being "normal" because he is young. "That's what kids do...right?" What behavior would you not dismiss as being just adolescent behavior?

If Phelps would have gotten in a car after a night of smoking and drinking, and killed someone...I want you to go to the parents of the person killed and say "Hey, give him a break. That's what kids do. They do drugs and then drive."

You are pathetic.

Jukia

I never equated smoking marijuana with murder. I was merely asking a question as to where the line is to be drawn.

And by the way, you have done exactly what Bob said people do. You dismiss (or explain) this behavior as being "normal" because he is young. "That's what kids do...right?" What behavior would you not dismiss as being just adolescent behavior?

If Phelps would have gotten in a car after a night of smoking and drinking, and killed someone...I want you to go to the parents of the person killed and say "Hey, give him a break. That's what kids do. They do drugs and then drive."

You are pathetic.

It is adolescent bahavior. Does not make it acceptable or right but it is adolescent behavior. Adolescents push the boundaries, it comes with the territory. Got kids???
I also suggested that Phelps may have been let out of a "cage" both physically and emotionally and was trying to suggest that he may have trouble fitting into his new life without the incredible structure that Olympic training provided.

Squishes

Smoking a plant isn't wrong, it's illegal. When our greatest athletes, our current president and half of kids between the ages of 8 and 16 are getting a little giggly, it's time to pack it in. No one cares about smoking pot anymore, but for some odd reason murder still gets a bad rap. I wonder why....

I think we should ban cars then. No more driving=no more car accidents.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Smoking a plant isn't wrong, it's illegal. When our greatest athletes, our current president and half of kids between the ages of 8 and 16 are getting a little giggly, it's time to pack it in. No one cares about smoking pot anymore, but for some odd reason murder still gets a bad rap. I wonder why....

I think we should ban cars then. No more driving=no more car accidents.

If no one cared about crack...does that make it ok? Will you dismiss a heroin addict because he isn't murdering anyone?

Morons.

Squishes

If no one cared about crack...does that make it ok? Will you dismiss a heroin addict because he isn't murdering anyone?

I don't care what a heroin addict does or doesn't do, as long as he does or doesn't do it to himself.

But as far as I know, Michael Phelps was smoking pot. It is so far removed from crack/murder that your continued comparisons lead me to believe you have no familiarity with the plant.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I don't care what a heroin addict does or doesn't do, as long as he does or doesn't do it to himself..

Even if that heroin addict was a family member? Are you telling me that you wold not care if your spouse, son, daughter, mother, father, etc... was a heroin addict, opium addict, etc...

Squishes

Even if that heroin addict was a family member? Are you telling me that you wold not care if your spouse, son, daughter, mother, father, etc... was a heroin addict, opium addict, etc...

I would, but not enough to mobilize the federal bureaucracy against it. It isn't obviously wrong to choose to do drugs, even if it hurts your family. I'm all for helping addicts, but making it illegal is another story.

Why do you think marijuana is illegal?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It would depend on the drug and circumstances in which it was used. Weed is not nearly as dangerous as alcohol, yet alcohol is *socially acceptable* and legal.

Crack, like alcohol, impairs peoples moods and judgment to the point of being dangerous.

If the drug is known to cause black outs, severe mood swings, aggression and dependency, the drug has a very real potential of causing the user to harm another person. THAT is the point I consider drug use to be serious as well as dangerous to others.

pqmomba8

Wait, wait, wait - you're equating marijuana to CRACK? What are you, high? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.