people outside the Church (and inside) get it WRONG on Galileo

republicanchick

Galileo was not "picked on" by the Catholic Church because he believed that the earth circles the sun (rather than vice versa). He was censored b/c he doubted certain doctrines of hte Church

I don't know all the details other than that and a few other facts, but i do know that

what most people tend to believe about the Galileo affair is FALSE or hghly distorted

He was never threatened with being burned at the stake or any such nonsense. The pope was only concerned about his possible lack of faith, and spreading such... not his scientific views

But for some reason.. there is something about theCatholic Church that seems to make people go berserk... and all logic (assuming they have much of that to begin w/) goes out the window vis a vis the Church...

weird... just downright weird.. but

true story

++

TracerBullet

Galileo was not "picked on" by the Catholic Church because he believed that the earth circles the sun (rather than vice versa). He was censored b/c he doubted certain doctrines of hte Church.
no he was arrested by the inquisition for being able to provide evidence that the earth was not stationary and in fact orbited the sun, something that contradicted the bible.

I don't know all the details other than that and a few other facts, but i do know that
YOU not informed on a matter you are posting about???? Inconceivable

what most people tend to believe about the Galileo affair is FALSE or hghly distorted

He was never threatened with being burned at the stake or any such nonsense. The pope was only concerned about his possible lack of faith, and spreading such... not his scientific views

But for some reason.. there is something about theCatholic Church that seems to make people go berserk... and all logic (assuming they have much of that to begin w/) goes out the window vis a vis the Church...

weird... just downright weird.. but

true story

++

Galileo was imprisoned and threatened with torture unless he agreed to lie about the nature of the earth. He did resist until the inquisition threatened to bring his children in to see if they shared his heresy. To keep them safe he agreed to lie and spent the remainder of his life imprisoned. It wasn't until 1992 that the church admitted that Galileo may have been right about the whole earth moves around the sun thing.

This Charming Manc

10 mins of basic research found most things you claimed in your post to be untrue.

Thank you for provoking me to learn some details about something id never researched

republicanchick

no he was arrested by the inquisition for being able to provide evidence that the earth was not stationary and in fact orbited the sun, something that contradicted the bible.

YOU not informed on a matter you are posting about???? Inconceivable

Galileo was imprisoned and threatened with torture unless he agreed to lie about the nature of the earth. He did resist until the inquisition threatened to bring his children in to see if they shared his heresy. To keep them safe he agreed to lie and spent the remainder of his life imprisoned. It wasn't until 1992 that the church admitted that Galileo may have been right about the whole earth moves around the sun thing.

dont know where u get your info... probably from Jack Chick and Co

I'm not reading this b/c it is FALSE

at the beginning... therefore quite likely false throughout

very, very likely...

and besides, even if the rest were true... won't read something that begins w/ falsehoods

___

HisServant

One would first question why the Roman Catholic Church has ever thought it must control thought, beliefs and science in the first place.

I've always thought it was its own insecurity.... it knows what it teaches is in error and it needs to maintain its reality distortion field to exist.

republicanchick

One would first question why the Roman Catholic Church has ever thought it must control thought, beliefs and science in the first place.

I've always thought it was its own insecurity.... it knows what it teaches is in error and it needs to maintain its reality distortion field to exist.

how utterly ridiculous to accuse an organization made up of MILLIONS of... anything...

geez... was going to answer on something else, but what is the point?

u just like your ignorance

___

HisServant

how utterly ridiculous to accuse an organization made up of MILLIONS of... anything...

geez... was going to answer on something else, but what is the point?

u just like your ignorance

___

So you think that quantity is all that matters?... does quality ever mean anything in your assessment?

Look how many people professed to be Jews and look how many were saved (a remnant).

If all your friends jumped off a bridge would you jump to?

Daniel1611

The Bible never says the earth is flat or stationary. There are nonchristians today who believe in a flat geocentric earth.

Daniel1611

Today we have the opposite. If anyone did suggest the earth were flat they would be ridiculed without end...by all of us who have been to outer space to see with our own eyes that the earth is a ball. Wait...

republicanchick

Oh, well that sure is better. :doh:

if u knew as i do that the Catholic Church speaks for God, you wouldn't have this kind of reaction

As it is, i feel sorry for you and those who do not have such certainty as i do... it is really one of the greatest tragedies of life.. not to find God's Church

no, wait, it is THE tragedy of life

___

shagster01

if u knew as i do that the Catholic Church speaks for God, you wouldn't have this kind of reaction

As it is, i feel sorry for you and those who do not have such certainty as i do... it is really one of the greatest tragedies of life.. not to find God's Church

no, wait, it is THE tragedy of life

___

So you are pro censorship by the ruling class then.