Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Parents Starve to Death Four-year-old Dylan

Friday December 23rd, 2005. This is show # 255.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
[The weak and the handicapped] need us but we need them. Because if we start killing them, what that does to us is despicable. It turns us into those who will kill the weakest and most vulnerable among us. And then, of course, we justify it as a wonderful thing that we've done.

docrob57

This is a disgusting and horrifying story. Whatever criticisms people levy at Mr. Enyart, I will always appreciate his passion for people like Dylan.

At the supermarket nearby, there are 3 or 4 employees who are to a greater or lesser extent mentally retarded. These people are happy, polite, and good workers. They are self supporting, and at least some of them live on their own. For the Planned Parenthood crowd, these people constitute a burden on society. I, on the other hand, consider them a blessing, and the Planned Parenthood crowd the burden.

Louis

Could Dylan be fed like a normal child?

Could Dylan be fed like a normal child?

docrob57 said:
This is a disgusting and horrifying story. Whatever criticisms people levy at Mr. Enyart, I will always appreciate his passion for people like Dylan.

At the supermarket nearby, there are 3 or 4 employees who are to a greater or lesser extent mentally retarded. These people are happy, polite, and good workers. They are self supporting, and at least some of them live on their own. For the Planned Parenthood crowd, these people constitute a burden on society. I, on the other hand, consider them a blessing, and the Planned Parenthood crowd the burden.

Would it make a difference if Dylan could not eat? Could he be bottle fed like a baby or spoon fed like an infant? Could he swallow? Is this different than feeding through a tube?
I think that there IS a difference between starving someone and choosing not to tube feed.

docrob57

Louis said:
Would it make a difference if Dylan could not eat? Could he be bottle fed like a baby or spoon fed like an infant? Could he swallow? Is this different than feeding through a tube?
I think that there IS a difference between starving someone and choosing not to tube feed.

Have you ever known/met a person who had to be tube fed? It happens at times to some fairly normal folks, and it isn't a huge deal.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This discussion will get irrational real, real fast. I will choose to bow out and not take the bait. Sorry man.

docrob57

Dread Helm said:
As in:
1. They were both innocent and were murdered.
2. They were both tube-fed and mentally disabled.

The bottom line is it is cheaper and more convenient to kill the handicapped than take care of them.

Louis

Tube feeding

Tube feeding

docrob57 said:
Have you ever known/met a person who had to be tube fed? It happens at times to some fairly normal folks, and it isn't a huge deal.

You are right. It is technically simple. I think it is an appropriate intervention for many people however I'm not sure that it is appropriate to use it for the sole purpose of prolonging life.

There is a difference between craving a bacon double cheese burger which is denied to you and not getting artificial nutrition. Much of our sense of hunger is closely linked to the palliative/pleasure we desire and derive from food. Can we really equate withhold a tube feeding from someone who is (practically) unresponsive with what a normal person experiences when they are starving. It just doesn't seem the same to me.

Please be patient with me. Although I am a medical professional I'm really trying to figure all this out and I'm not attempting to advance a predetermined position.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I wonder if modern medical technology is the only reason the boy even made it through birth to begin with.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Louis said:
You are right. It is technically simple. I think it is an appropriate intervention for many people however I'm not sure that it is appropriate to use it for the sole purpose of prolonging life.
What other purpose would it have?
There is a difference between craving a bacon double cheese burger which is denied to you and not getting artificial nutrition. Much of our sense of hunger is closely linked to the palliative/pleasure we desire and derive from food. Can we really equate withhold a tube feeding from someone who is (practically) unresponsive with what a normal person experiences when they are starving. It just doesn't seem the same to me.
Should "quality of life" (insert your own definition of that) be a determining factor in a life-or-death situation?
Please be patient with me. Although I am a medical professional I'm really trying to figure all this out and I'm not attempting to advance a predetermined position.
I believe you're on a slippery-slope argument for euthanasia. Actually it is the same argument (not really a human being) used for abortion. If one can approve of abortion, one should have no problem accepting euthanasia.

Last edited:

Louis

Technology

Technology

Technology has made a lot of things possible.
Before the tube was invented this would not have been an issue. Just because we have the ability to do certain things to prolong life does not necessarily mean that we should do so. Are we obligated to exercise every technological option in order to keep people alive as long as possible? Personally I would not want this done to me if I were in the patient's position. Maybe I'm not thinking straight...

Should "quality of life" (insert your own definition of that) a determining factor in a life-or-death situation?

I believe you're on a slippery-slope argument for euthanasia. Actually it is the same argument (not really a human being) used for abortion. If one can approve of abortion, one should have no problem accepting euthanasia.[/QUOTE]

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Louis said:
Personally I would not want this done to me if I were in the patient's position. Maybe I'm not thinking straight...
You likley have very little idea what you would want.

Status
Not open for further replies.