ECT Other tricky nuance translations

Interplanner

Recently the MAD folks have made quite a bit out of 'the gospel to the circumcision' and 'the gospel of the kingdom'. Basic Greek grammar would have straightened this out. Here is another which often comes up:

Gal 2: the life I live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me. This is one case where 'faith' is the total activity of Christ who was reliable in all things as he provided righteousness for us. It is a theological mystery whether he actually had faith; there is probably an obscure passage in one of his monologues in John saying that. My point here is this is not 'belief' on him; it actually is about something he did. It is not the Son of God's religion or set of beliefs; not 'faith' as in the category 'Christian faith.' It is his completion of things he said he'd do. "I have come to do thy will, O Lord."

'to be continued'

Danoh

Recently the MAD folks have made quite a bit out of 'the gospel to the circumcision' and 'the gospel of the kingdom'. Basic Greek grammar would have straightened this out. Here is another which often comes up:

Gal 2: the life I live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me. This is one case where 'faith' is the total activity of Christ who was reliable in all things as he provided righteousness for us. It is a theological mystery whether he actually had faith; there is probably an obscure passage in one of his monologues in John saying that. My point here is this is not 'belief' on him; it actually is about something he did. It is not the Son of God's religion or set of beliefs; not 'faith' as in the category 'Christian faith.' It is his completion of things he said he'd do. "I have come to do thy will, O Lord."

'to be continued'

I'm not sure if all MADs hold to the following - but a common understanding among many MADs is that "the faith of Christ" refers to His having been faithful to what He came to do.

It is also the understanding I hold.

It is why Paul brings it up in Galatians 2, going into Galatians 3, and is summarized as...

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God...

How so?

In that He gave Himself for us.

Matthew 26:39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

He was and is faithful, or true to His mission...

2 Timothy 2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

There is much more in all that, but the faith of Christ is basically the issue of His fidelity...

As in this passage about the Father...

Romans 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Its a different way of studying out one issue or another - through the combined witness of a multiplicity of passages, in contrast to doing so via, say, the Greek; but the reward is greater - one ends up much more familar with Scripture and that ends up highly useful when other, related issues; are being studied out.