Only God Can Condemn and Save

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Only God Can Condemn and Save Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries] "On October 31, we celebrated the 499th Anniversary of the Reformation. When Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany, it began a movement that would set thousands of captives free from the bondage of religious deception. The Catholic Church attempted to thwart the mass exodus of its people by condemning anyone who left the church. During the Counter Reformation, the Council of Trent threatened hostile action on Catholics and former Catholics who would not remain loyal to their religion. They attempted to control people with the threat of over 100 anathemas.

One of the anathemas forced people to believe the dogma of indulgences which Luther had soundly rebuked with his 95 Theses. The Council "condemns with anathema those who say that indulgences are useless or that the Church does not have the power to grant them." An indulgence is "a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian...gains under certain defined conditions." They can be applied to the dead by way of prayer, the Rosary, or the sacrifice of the Mass.

When the pope pronounces an anathema, he uses a formula which ends with these words: "We deprive [him/her] of the Communion of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized, and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance, and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment."

Anathemas are said to condemn former Catholics to the torments of everlasting hell unless they do penance and return home to Rome. They also condemn current Catholics if they do not believe every infallible dogma of their church.

Former Catholics who are now born-again Christians need not worry! "If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died, more than that, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us" (Rom. 8:31-34). Only God has the power to save and condemn.

We must use this information to educate others. More than ever, we must contend earnestly for the faith and resist the growing pressure to unite with the Roman Catholic Church as a valid expression of Christianity. Evangelicals need to know that we can never have unity with a religion that condemned the Reformers for believing that sinners are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, according to Scripture alone, for the glory of God alone. Let us all endeavor to defend the glory and honor of our Lord Jesus Christ, the sanctity of His Church, and the purity of His Gospel." :eek:linger: Pro-Gospel.org

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You wrote,

Only God Can Condemn and Save

I do not know how you think. Is this about what you or someone else believes the Bible says? What do you believe? Do you believe what the Bible says?

Can God condemn? I say yes, but what does the Bible say? Can anyone else condemn? I am actually not thinking about that. But we can study scripture to see what it says.

Romans 8:34 NIV - Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.

Do you have a verse

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
You wrote,

Only God Can Condemn and Save...
Mike Gendron wrote. It is the title of his article.
drool.gif

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No. Gendron's ministry Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries reaches out to Roman Catholics (Jud 11 :burnlib:). :eek:linger:
I don't know how to help you with what you are saying. You put Jud 11.

You did not cite Gendron, so I didn't know your post was not your own words.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
:yawn: I don't need your help with Jud 11 :burnlib: (Eph 4:14).

Everybody Plays the Fool :freak: ~ The Main Ingredient
Again, I don't know how to help you with what you are saying.

I didn't ask to help you with Jud 11.

I would like to encourage you to teach what the Bible says. If you don't know what it says, learn what it says. Preach the truth!

KingdomRose

[Only God Can Condemn and Save Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries] "On October 31, we celebrated the 499th Anniversary of the Reformation. When Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany, it began a movement that would set thousands of captives free from the bondage of religious deception. The Catholic Church attempted to thwart the mass exodus of its people by condemning anyone who left the church. During the Counter Reformation, the Council of Trent threatened hostile action on Catholics and former Catholics who would not remain loyal to their religion. They attempted to control people with the threat of over 100 anathemas.

One of the anathemas forced people to believe the dogma of indulgences which Luther had soundly rebuked with his 95 Theses. The Council "condemns with anathema those who say that indulgences are useless or that the Church does not have the power to grant them." An indulgence is "a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian...gains under certain defined conditions." They can be applied to the dead by way of prayer, the Rosary, or the sacrifice of the Mass.

When the pope pronounces an anathema, he uses a formula which ends with these words: "We deprive [him/her] of the Communion of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized, and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance, and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment."

Anathemas are said to condemn former Catholics to the torments of everlasting hell unless they do penance and return home to Rome. They also condemn current Catholics if they do not believe every infallible dogma of their church.

Former Catholics who are now born-again Christians need not worry! "If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died, more than that, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us" (Rom. 8:31-34). Only God has the power to save and condemn.

We must use this information to educate others. More than ever, we must contend earnestly for the faith and resist the growing pressure to unite with the Roman Catholic Church as a valid expression of Christianity. Evangelicals need to know that we can never have unity with a religion that condemned the Reformers for believing that sinners are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, according to Scripture alone, for the glory of God alone. Let us all endeavor to defend the glory and honor of our Lord Jesus Christ, the sanctity of His Church, and the purity of His Gospel." :eek:linger: Pro-Gospel.org

It's interesting that the pope says that anyone who has done anathema will be condemned to the "fire" awaiting the Devil, etc. He didn't say a literal fire where people are literally tortured in fire forever. The "fire" reserved for the Devil and his demons is SYMBOLIC for complete destruction. Reading the pope's words, they are in line with that viewpoint. Not being roasted forever, but annihilated. I wonder if the popes knew that they were not speaking about literal fire. And I wonder which pope wrote up the description of "anathema." They probably don't realize that the anathema thing the pope says doesn't really go along with literal hell-fire. But I know---the church does teach hell-fire. That's one of the impure things about the church that Lutherans left. Other impure things are the existence of a conscious "soul" that departs from the body at death, and also the teaching that Jesus is God. Did you leave those things behind too?

"Only God has the power to save and condemn" you said. This is true. I wonder if you have in mind that Jesus is the "God" that we're talking about. You'll notice that he is sitting on the right hand of God, so I don't think he is sitting on the right hand of himself.

Just saying.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
...and also the teaching that Jesus is God.

In Titus 2:11-14 NET Paul says, "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all people. It trains us to reject godless ways and worldly desires and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in the present age as we wait for the happy fulfillment of our hope in the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. He gave himself for us to set us free from every kind of lawlessness and to purify for himself a people who are truly his, who are eager to do good."

the great God and our Saviour Jesus--There is but one Greek article to "God" and "Saviour," which shows that both are predicated of one and the same Being. "Of Him who is at once the great God and our Saviour." Also (2) "appearing" (epiphaneia) is never by Paul predicated of God the Father ( Jhn 1:18 1Ti 6:16 ), or even of "His glory" (as ALFORD explains it): it is invariably applied to CHRIST'S coming, to which (at His first advent, compare 2Ti 1:10 ) the kindred verb "appeared" (epephanee), Tts 2:11, refers ( 1Ti 6:14 2Ti 4:1, 8 ). Also (3) in the context (Tts 2:14 ) there is no reference to the Father, but to Christ alone; and here there is no occasion for reference to the Father in the exigencies of the context.​

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/jfb/Tts/Tts_002.cfm

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Thanks for letting us know.
drool.gif
Eph 4:14
Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.