Obedience, Not Sacrifice: Jeremiah 7

CherubRam

Obedience, Not Sacrifice
Jeremiah 7

21 This is what the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, says: “Add your burnt offerings to your other sacrifices, and eat the meat yourselves, 22 for when I brought your ancestors out of the land of Egypt, I did not speak with them or command them concerning burnt offering and sacrifice. 23 However, I did give them this command: Obey Me, and then I will be your God, and you will be My people. You must follow every way I command you so that it may go well with you. 24 Yet they didn’t listen or pay attention but followed their own advice and according to their own stubborn, evil heart. They went backward and not forward. 25 Since the day your ancestors came out of the land of Egypt until this day, I have sent all My servants the prophets to you time and time again. 26 However, they wouldn’t listen to Me or pay attention, but became obstinate; they did more evil than their ancestors.

For I did not speak to your forefathers, nor command them concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt:

Needs more study.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
For I did not speak to your forefathers, nor command them concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt:

What did Jacob's people go three days into the wilderness to do?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Or perhaps this: I did not speak to them commanding them concerning burnt offering and sacrifice.

For when I brought your ancestors out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices, but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in obedience to all I command you, that it may go well with you. (Jeremiah 7:22-23 NIV)​

CherubRam

For when I brought your ancestors out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices, but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in obedience to all I command you, that it may go well with you. (Jeremiah 7:22-23 NIV)​

There could be something wrong with that NIV translation.
Amos 5
I hate, I despise your religious festivals;
your assemblies are a stench to me.
Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.

Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.
Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.
But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!

“Did you bring me sacrifices and offerings
forty years in the wilderness, people of Israel?

You have lifted up the shrine of your king,
the pedestal of your idols,
the star of your god
which you made for yourselves. (Six Point Star)
Therefore I will send you into exile beyond Damascus,”
says the Lord, whose name is God Almighty.

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]23 However, I did give them this command: Obey Me, and then I will be your God, and you will be My people. You must follow every way I command you so that it may go well with you. 24 Yet they didn’t listen or pay attention but followed their own advice and according to their own stubborn, evil heart.[/FONT]

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There could be something wrong with the translation.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that scripture does not contradict itself.

Then they (Israel) will heed your voice and you shall come, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt and you shall say to him, "The LORD God of the Hebrews has met with us and now, please, let us go three days journey into the wilderness that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God." (Exodus 3:18)​

CherubRam

Let's say for the sake of discussion that scripture does not contradict itself.

Then they (Israel) will heed your voice and you shall come, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt and you shall say to him, "The LORD God of the Hebrews has met with us and now, please, let us go three days journey into the wilderness that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God." (Exodus 3:18)​

Even at that time it was a tradition of man.

Bradley D

All concerning the sacrifices were given to Moses by God. "The Lord said to Moses, 'Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: ‘Make sure that you present to me at the appointed time my food offerings, as an aroma pleasing to me" (Numbers 28:1-2). What Jeremiah and other prophets were saying that the Israelites had lost the significance of the sacrifice. The sacrifice was innocent blood spilt for their sins. In the NT Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. God's own Son who was sinless was allowing Himself to be sacrificed for sinners sins.

CherubRam

All concerning the sacrifices were given to Moses by God. "The Lord said to Moses, 'Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: ‘Make sure that you present to me at the appointed time my food offerings, as an aroma pleasing to me" (Numbers 28:1-2). What Jeremiah and other prophets were saying that the Israelites had lost the significance of the sacrifice. The sacrifice was innocent blood spilt for their sins. In the NT Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. God's own Son who was sinless was allowing Himself to be sacrificed for sinners sins.

Someone wrote "The Lord said to Moses." Obviously not the words of Moses. More study is needed to figure out how to deal with it.

SonOfCaleb

Moses wrote the book of Numbers. There's nothing wrong with those translations, they're correct.

The instruction to offer up a blood sacrifice would appear to be of divine origin, as Abel recognized the importance of blood needing to be shed for mankind's sin to be redeemed, hence why he offered a firstling from his flock. Cain on the other hand didn't appreciate this and offered up some fruits from his land. Note the difference between their offerings. Abel gave firstlings from his flock including the their fat. Cain merely offered up 'some' fruit from his pasturage. Thus it was evident Cain was already manifesting a bad spirit or attitude which culminated in him murdering his brother. His bad attitude and indifference to the sacrifice he attempted to offer up was evident to God hence why his sacrifice was rejected.

Now of course neither the firstling of Abels produce or Cains could be of any practical use to God. Sacrifice in many respects was a symbolic representation of atonement of sins. But rather the purpose of the sacrifice was so mankind could develop an appreciation for God, understand the importance of blood sacrifice which would be delivered by the messiah, as well as to be obedient and in their worship to Jehovah and showing a giving spirit.

What Jeremiah wrote is accurate. As the Hebrews didn't offer up any sacrifices when in Egypt. The Egyptians worshiped virtually anything that moved, notably the Ram, Cows, and Bulls all of which featured in Hebrew sacrifices. If the Hebrews had sacrificed a ram -which were sacred to the Egyptians- as an example the implications for the them at the hands of the Egyptians would have been grave. In fact Moses acknowledges this as he asked Pharaoh if the Hebrews could go into the wilderness to sacrifice to God.

Exodus 5:3 "But they said: “The God of the Hebrews has communicated with us. Please, we want to make a three-day journey into the wilderness and sacrifice to Jehovah our God".

Likewise God never spoke with the Hebrews when they were in Egypt. They never had a prophet among the people until Moses arrived. Jacob of course was long dead. So for around 240 years God had never spoken with 'Israel' as the nation of Israel was essentially still being formed from Jacobs 12 sons. Remember they came out of Egypt as an assembled and distinct people numbering into millions in a very short period of time.

Bradley D

Someone wrote "The Lord said to Moses." Obviously not the words of Moses. More study is needed to figure out how to deal with it.

It is scripture. I believe God gave all the instructions of the tabernacle, sacrifices, and other commands to Moses. Authorship of the Pentateuch is argued. I believe it to be the inspired Word of God.