Obama-trade (TPP) fast track

Foxfire

What is the conservative perspective on this, yet another trade disaster being foisted on an already beleaguered American job market?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What is the conservative perspective on this, yet another trade disaster being foisted on an already beleaguered American job market?

conservatives are for free trade to lower costs

liberals are against it to protect unions and high wages

why obama wants it is hard to say

he will use it to get something we might not agree with

Foxfire

conservatives are for free trade to lower costs

liberals are against it to protect unions and high wages

why obama wants it is hard to say

he will use it to get something we might not agree with
I ask the question in full knowledge that TPP CANNOT be put into effect sans the explicit support and consent from the Reps.

Foxfire

I'm trying to understand the mindset that decries every single effort on the part of the POTUS and then hands him the power to unilaterally negotiate international agreements that can potentially override congressionaly generated US law.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm trying to understand the mindset that decries every single effort on the part of the POTUS and then hands him the power to unilaterally negotiate international agreements that can potentially override congressionaly generated US law.

As far as I know, Congress would still have a vote on the agreements. They just have to do an up or down vote on the agreement as it stands instead of being able to offer changes.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't think I'm a supporter of this because in general I don't like free trade agreements. At least not those between countries who aren't on the same playing field.

Foxfire

As far as I know, Congress would still have a vote on the agreements. They just have to do an up or down vote on the agreement as it stands instead of being able to offer changes.
Isn't that the same logic posed by the Obama administration in respect to the Iran Nuclear Treaty?
What differentiates the negotiation of one from the other in that respect?

bbdbbb

Here in Australia the Prime Minister has the power to negotiate trade agreements and, at the moment we have a conservative, right-wing government that is demolishing Australian manufacturing by their free trade agreements. I do t think this is a liberal-conservative issue but a international relations exercise. It's just really bad how it damages local industry and puts people in the jobless lines.