ECT NT eschatological fulfillment: Resolved or not?

Interplanner

Does NT eschatology have an atmosphere of resolution or of there being many, many things left hanging? It is clearly the first in Rom 3, Acts 13, Acts 26, Eph 2-3. The wonderful righteousness of God has now been provided and proved by the fact of the resurrection. It saves us from the debt of our sins. This bonds together all believers and is what Israel was looking forward to (this is especially the drift of Acts 26). I know of no place in the NT where a person gets the sense of things right and left still hanging to be done for Israel.

Livelystone

Does NT eschatology have an atmosphere of resolution or of there being many, many things left hanging? It is clearly the first in Rom 3, Acts 13, Acts 26, Eph 2-3. The wonderful righteousness of God has now been provided and proved by the fact of the resurrection. It saves us from the debt of our sins. This bonds together all believers and is what Israel was looking forward to (this is especially the drift of Acts 26). I know of no place in the NT where a person gets the sense of things right and left still hanging to be done for Israel.

Speaking for myself I do not think Israel was as concerned of being forgiven of sin as much as they were having the kingdom of OT Israel restored and ruling over their neighbors as they had mistakenly interpreted some of the words of the prophets to have meant. Seems this was the question even the disciples who were to become apostles were asking Jesus as to when the kingdom would be restored to Israel.

(Acts1:6 KJV) When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

Danoh

Speaking for myself I do not think Israel was as concerned of being forgiven of sin as much as they were having the kingdom of OT Israel restored and ruling over their neighbors as they had mistakenly interpreted some of the words of the prophets to have meant. Seems this was the question even the disciples who were to become apostles were asking Jesus as to when the kingdom would be restored to Israel.

(Acts1:6 KJV) When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

And per Daniel 2, Mark 1, and Luke 1 and 2, you'd be off-base on your sense of Acts 1:6... as off as Interplanner is...on what you were responding to him about.

Interplanner

That's right. That is found in Jn 12:34. Then in the next verse Christ is the "light" because he IS what the direction of Israel was moving toward; he is the Gospel that was coming.

Interplanner

And per Daniel 2, Mark 1, and Luke 1 and 2, you'd be off-base on your sense of Acts 1:6... as off as Interplanner is...on what you were responding to him about.

The answer to Acts 1:6 is not fav passages from the universe of the desperate theologian. It is--what a concept--the rest of Acts. Especially those passages which speak about the future/destiny/direction/legacy of Israel: Acts 13, and 26. Where it is actually their topic! What a concept!

Bradley D

The Jews were looking for a King that would kick the Romans out and restore the Kingdom of Israel. There were leaders of the temple who thought themselves perfect and keepers of the law. Therefore, being called sinners by Jesus did not sit well with them. There was a High Priest and others who liked the status quo and did not want anyone upsetting the Romans. Therefore, Jesus who spoke of a spiritual kingdom His message went over their heads.

Livelystone

The Jews were looking for a King that would kick the Romans out and restore the Kingdom of Israel. There were leaders of the temple who thought themselves perfect and keepers of the law. Therefore, being called sinners by Jesus did not sit well with them. There was a High Priest and others who liked the status quo and did not want anyone upsetting the Romans. Therefore, Jesus who spoke of a spiritual kingdom His message went over their heads.

Good post ! :up:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Jews were looking for a King that would kick the Romans out and restore the Kingdom of Israel.

And they were right to do so since that's what the prophets foretold.

Dan 7:27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

Bradley D

And they were right to do so since that's what the prophets foretold.

Dan 7:27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

I believe one can see "everlasting kingdom" as going beyond the belief of a present kingdom without the Romans. Though I can see the Jews of that time seeing it as so.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe one can see "everlasting kingdom" as going beyond the belief of a present kingdom without the Romans. Though I can see the Jews of that time seeing it as so.

Without the Romans, yes.

However, Zacharia, speaking by the Holy Spirit, said this:

Luk 1:67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,
Luk 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
Luk 1:69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;
Luk 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
Luk 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;

Was the Spirit mistaken?

Gabriel said this to Mary:

Luk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
Luk 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Was Gabriel mistaken?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
how many kingdoms are there steko ?

KOG, KOH, 1000 YEAR REIGN, Millenial ? or what

1 Peter 1:23 KJV - Daniel 2:44 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:24 KJV -

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
how many kingdoms are there steko ?

KOG, KOH, 1000 YEAR REIGN, Millenial ? or what

1 Peter 1:23 KJV - Daniel 2:44 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:24 KJV -

1) GOD's Universal Kingdom in which He rules directly over all creation since the beginning:

Psa 103:19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.

Psa 93:2 Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.

2) GOD's Theocratic Kingdom on earth which is mediatorial and progressive and culminates in the Davidic Messianic Kingdom promised in prophecy.

Dan 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

2Sa 7:8 Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David,
2Sa 7:12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
2Sa 7:13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

3) Christ leaves earth and goes into heaven to receive authority for His Kingdom.

Luk 19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

In the interregnum, Christ is head of the Church, the Body of Christ, and rules in the believer's hearts as they submit to the Holy Spirit.

Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Christ returns to earth as King, takes His rightful Davidic throne and rules over the nations.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

The Scriptures do not conflate these distinctions.
Men do.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
1) GOD's Universal Kingdom in which He rules directly over all creation since the beginning:

Psa 103:19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.

2) GOD's Theocratic Kingdom on earth which is mediatorial and progressive and culminates in the Davidic Messianic Kingdom promised in prophecy.

Dan 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

2Sa 7:12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
2Sa 7:13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

3) Christ leaves earth and goes into heaven to receive authority for His Kingdom.

Luk 19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

In the interregnum, Christ is head of the Church, the Body of Christ, and rules in the believer's hearts as they submit to the Holy Spirit.

Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Christ returns to earth as King, takes His rightful Davidic throne and rules over the nations.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Men do.

I knew all that, I was just testin' you. Not. Thank you for a great post and study, I printed it here at home ! All praise and glory to God !!!

Interplanner

Men do.

For one thing, your #2 is completely messed up. I've never heard of anyone who thought that Isaiah 9 was about a theocratic entity, not with those titles for Christ.

Acts 2 is saying that the resurrection is the enthronement of Christ, so why would you put that verse in a category about a theocracy? You've missed how the kingdom works. You make distinctions that the Bible doesn't. The kingdom exists now by faith, seen by faith, and it is how God wants all men to live now (by faith, that is), Heb 12 (did I mention that was to the Hebrews?. Those who seek for it to be visible will lose everything and endanger everyone.

Mt24B is about the worldwide judgement of God that was initially said to be right after all the horrible things that happened in Judea in the 1st century in A. But a delay was allowed and did take place, obviously. Your Mt 25 quote in #4 is not about a theocracy being set up out of Jerusalem, but about judgment, who lives and who dies, who remains with Christ in the NHNE, and who suffers. The NHNE come into existence directly after the day of judgement. There is no future episode for Israel, because that would mean God was running 2P2P all along, which he is not.

Livelystone

Men do.

Nice post but not all of it is correct

God does have final say so but the dominion over the things of the earth created by God and given to Adam, were in turn taken from Adam and given to satan.

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

There is no physical mountain from where all the physical kingdoms of the word could be viewed from, not then and not now. What Satan was showing Jesus were the spiritual kingdoms of the world that consist of the spirit and soul (think male and female) of all mankind that was given to him at the judgment of God upon Adam and Eve (all of mankind) who have ever since carried the seed of satan "within their members", (Ro.7:23, 2nd Corinthians 12:7 KJV)

Some of mankind becoming "fully clean" without the seed of satan living in them including all Christians alive today, has been the plan of God since the beginning. Its fullfilment is seen in the following verses.

Micah 4:8 And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem.

Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Ro.8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

1 Corinthians 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
For one thing, your #2 is completely messed up. I've never heard of anyone who thought that Isaiah 9 was about a theocratic entity, not with those titles for Christ.

Now you have.

What do you not get about:

Acts 2 is saying that the resurrection is the enthronement of Christ, so why would you put that verse in a category about a theocracy?

No, Acts 2 says that Christ was raised 'to sit' on David's throne. It doesn't say that He is now sitting there.
Christ plainly says that He will take that throne at His second coming.
Rev 3:21 says that He is presently sitting in the Father's throne. The Father's throne in heaven has never been David's throne, for David's throne has always been Jerusalem/Zion.

You've missed how the kingdom works.

No, you have. You take the present program and conflate it with the prophetic program.

You make distinctions that the Bible doesn't.

The distinctions which I've listed come directly from the Bible.

The kingdom exists now by faith, seen by faith, and it is how God wants all men to live now (by faith, that is),

The Davidic Messianic Kingdom is held in abeyance until Christ returns and fulfills all that His Holy prophets said since the beginning of the world Acts 3.

Heb 12 (did I mention that was to the Hebrews?. Those who seek for it to be visible will lose everything and endanger everyone.

So...you anticipate and invisible, immaterial Kingdom?

The Hebrew writer quotes Haggai in Heb 12:26.

I always say, that if one desires the full context of verses partially quoted in the NT writings, go to the source for the rest of the story.

Hag 2:6 For thus saith the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land;
Hag 2:7 And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.

Mt24B is about the worldwide judgement of God that was initially said to be right after all the horrible things that happened in Judea in the 1st century in A. But a delay was allowed and did take place, obviously.

So....Christ has already returned in clouds of glory and has already regathered the outcasts of Israel?

Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

I don't think so.

Your Mt 25 quote in #4 is not about a theocracy being set up out of Jerusalem, but about judgment, who lives and who dies, who remains with Christ in the NHNE, and who suffers.

Sure it is. Mt 25 is in perfect harmony with the prophecy of Joel 3.

Joe 3:1 For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem,
Joe 3:2 I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.

Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

The NHNE come into existence directly after the day of judgement.

Yeah, but......which judgement?

There is no future episode for Israel,

Well, that would run contrary to all prophecy concerning national Israel, wouldn't it.

Do you believe that GOD lied to David?

because that would mean God was running 2P2P all along, which he is not.

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
Rom 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
Rom 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Nice post but not all of it is correct

You are certainly free to hold your opinion.

God does have final say so but the dominion over the things of the earth created by God and given to Adam, were in turn taken from Adam and given to satan.

Yes.

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

There is no physical mountain from where all the physical kingdoms of the word could be viewed from, not then and not now. What Satan was showing Jesus were the spiritual kingdoms of the world that consist of the spirit and soul (think male and female) of all mankind that was given to him at the judgment of God upon Adam and Eve (all of mankind) who have ever since carried the seed of satan "within their members", (Ro.7:23, 2nd Corinthians 12:7 KJV)

Satan, being the prince of this world, was offering the Lord Jesus the Kingdoms of this world which are promised to the Messiah of Israel.
The problem was that there is a divine protocol and the Lord Jesus had to go to the cross first, defeat Satan legally, offer the Kingdom to Israel [Acts 3], which was refused for they would not have this man to rule over them, then at some point in the future, through much tribulation, the Kingdom would be given to the saints of the most high [Dan 7] and that Kingdom would reign over all the kingdoms of the earth.

Some of mankind becoming "fully clean" without the seed of satan living in them including all Christians alive today, has been the plan of God since the beginning. Its fullfilment is seen in the following verses.

Micah 4:8 And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem.

Micah is not talking about Christians in the Body of Christ, he's talking about the daughter of Zion, a restored Israel.

Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

The prophets speak of the restoration of the Kingdom to Israel and David's greater Son ruling from his throne on earth.

Ro.8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Paul is speaking of the restoration of the creation and the inheritance of the members of the Body of Christ in the future bodily, physical, material resurrection.

1 Corinthians 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all
[/QUOTE]

After the reign of Christ on David's throne, on this present earth, at the establishment of the new heavens and new earth.

Interplanner

You are certainly free to hold your opinion.

Yes.

Satan, being the prince of this world, was offering the Lord Jesus the Kingdoms of this world which are promised to the Messiah of Israel.
The problem was that there is a divine protocol and the Lord Jesus had to go to the cross first, defeat Satan legally, offer the Kingdom to Israel [Acts 3], which was refused for they would not have this man to rule over them, then at some point in the future, through much tribulation, the Kingdom would be given to the saints of the most high [Dan 7] and that Kingdom would reign over all the kingdoms of the earth.

Micah is not talking about Christians in the Body of Christ, he's talking about the daughter of Zion, a restored Israel.

The prophets speak of the restoration of the Kingdom to Israel and David's greater Son ruling from his throne on earth.

Paul is speaking of the restoration of the creation and the inheritance of the members of the Body of Christ in the future bodily, physical, material resurrection.

After the reign of Christ on David's throne, on this present earth, at the establishment of the new heavens and new earth.[/QUOTE]

Steko,
I guess you haven't noticed that this present earth is done away with in both the Rev and 2 Pet 3 before the NHNE. There is no 2P2P in the Bible. There is nothing God needs to do through or for Israel that is not already accomplished in Christ, Acts 13.