Nineveh's POTD 5-20-05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
godrulz said:
justchristian said:
One of my favorite things about TOL is the many unique a differing views I've never even heard so I thought if anyone had any interesting insight into the following scripture that has always confused me. I'd Especially aprreciate input from those with an OV theology as you guys definately have a different view on things. So regarding the text: I thought Jesus' decended into the dead for three days? How was he in paradise with the criminal that day?

Luke 23

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!" 40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]"

43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Jesus descended into Hades which had a righteous and an unrighteous compartment before His resurrection (Lk. 16). Paradise was used of Eden, this intermediate OT compartment, and the future kingdom after His return, depending on context. The repentant thief went (descended) with Jesus to the righteous part of Hades (Paradise) where the OT saints were. After He rose from the dead, He emptied the righteous compartment (Eph. 4 captives). Dead sinners are still in Hades until the GWT judgment when the lake of fire will be the final destiny. Dead saints now go to be with the Lord in heaven (to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord).

"I tell you the truth today, ..." is a poor placement of the comma by JWs.

The Open View is irrelevant to the exegesis of this passage. Jewish historical beliefs would be more helpful. Are you thinking that Paradise is future in heaven so a timeless view would explain the passage? If so, this is not a straightforward, defensible assumption.

Found here

Well said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.