Next in line for religious display battle: Arkansas

Jose Fly

Earlier this year, Arkansas passed a law authorizing a 10 Commandments display at the state capitol.

Later, a Hindu group sent in a request to have a statue of the Hindu Lord Hanuman also put up at the capitol, but were denied and told they had to go through a different application process.

Now, two more groups are getting into the fray and applying to have their displays put up on the capitol. The Satanic Temple wants their statue of Baphomet put up, and the Freedom from Religion Foundation wants to put up a display that reads:

MAY REASON PREVAIL

There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell.
There is only our natural world.
Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.
Freedom depends on freethinkers

KEEP STATE AND CHURCH SEPARATE​

Should be interesting. Once the state opens the door for one display of a religious nature, they can't deny displays from other faiths, lest they be guilty of endorsing one religion over others.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I wonder if people who push for something like this think that God will favor Arkansas if they have 10 Commandments at the Capitol.

Jose Fly

Good question. I always wonder what the real reason for these 10 Commandment displays are. To curry favor with God? To send a message to non-Christians that "this is our town"? Hopes of conversion?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Good question. I always wonder what the real reason for these 10 Commandment displays are. To curry favor with God? To send a message to non-Christians that "this is our town"? Hopes of conversion?

I question that too, which prompted my post. I'm sure it's some of all of that, depending on the person. But I'd think (and hope) the majority isn't a mean-spirited 'this is our town' mindset, or to simply fight back against what they feel as a war against Christianity. It's more about exerting a subtle influence by having them there, and having them as a symbol/reminder of our country's heritage.

Jose Fly

to simply fight back against what they feel as a war against Christianity.

I definitely think that's a very strong factor in these latest pushes for such displays on government property. It's a backlash against the declining influence of Christianity in our culture. They can't stop the trend, so their frustration comes out in other ways.

and having them as a symbol/reminder of our country's heritage

Seems kind of odd, since one of the commandments ("Thou shalt not covet...") is the basis for our capitalistic economy. :noway: