Never Trumper Mark Sanford's initial campaign event

Gary K

Banned
Mark Sanford, the never Trumper who distinguished himself as governor by disappearing to Argentina to visit a paramour of his, kicked off his campaign to an audience of one. That's right. Only one person showed up and that was the reporter who wrote the following story.

Vocal Never-Trumper and former Representative of Appalachian Trail fame, Mark Sanford, held his first campaign event in Philadelphia.

Only one person showed up.
Sanford made a video of the successful campaign launch.

The bell in the Independence Hall tower rang at 9 a.m., and Mark Sanford took a deep breath. He grabbed a giant check for “one trillion dollars,” stood next to a tiny wooden lectern, and asked me if I was ready for him to kick off a news conference announcing his bid to challenge President Donald Trump in the 2020 Republican primary.
It didn’t really feel like a news conference. I was the only reporter there.
And when it began, the only others around besides his two aides were a family 30 yards away with a selfie stick and a group of students from Paris who wanted to know why he had such a big check. (Answer: It represented the burden of the national debt.)
The former South Carolina congressman and governor — perhaps best known for disappearing from office for six days in 2009 to visit a paramour in Argentina — launched his long-long-long-shot presidential campaign Wednesday in a gloomy Philadelphia. The launch also served to kick off his “Kids, We’re Bankrupt and We Didn’t Even Know It” tour — a 3,500-mile, weeklong road trip he hopes will “spark a needed conversation” within the Republican Party about spending and debt. He was set to make stops later Wednesday in Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.

Sanford's youtube video is embedded in the article but since I've been getting blocked by TOL's hosting company for posting videos plus links I won't post it here. If you want to watch it you'll have to follow the link. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...aign-event-against-trump-one-person-shows-up/

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It's not Sanford who's the biggest threat to Trump:

Trump will likely survive his primary challenge from Joe Walsh — but history suggests that it could hurt him in the general election

Former congressman Joe Walsh probably won't win his primary challenge to President Donald Trump, but Walsh's media savvy and heavy-hitting criticisms could batter Trump going into the general election.

Walsh is highly unlikely to actually defeat Trump, who has close to 90% approval among Republican voters and already has the backing of the Republican National Committee.

In recent history, former Presidents Gerald Ford in 1976, Jimmy Carter in 1980, and George HW Bush in 1992 all lost their general re-election bids after facing tough primary challenges.

Thomas Schwartz, a professor of political science and history at Vanderbilt University, told Insider that Walsh is far more ideologically similar to Trump than those presidents' primary challengers.

"Where Walsh could be interesting is the fact that he is media-savvy and he might be able to provoke Trump ... and get a reaction from him," Schwartz said.

On Tuesday, September 24, Business Insider Today will host two of the Republican presidential candidates challenging President Donald Trump in the 2020 GOP presidential primary.