Negroes Are Anti-Semitic Because They're Anti-White

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Negroes Are Anti-Semitic Because They're Anti-White
By JAMES BALDWIN

When we were growing up in Harlem our demoralizing series of landlords were Jewish, and we hated them. We hated them because they were terrible landlords, and did not take care of the building. A coat of paint, a broken window, a stopped sink, a stopped toilet, a sagging floor, a broken ceiling, a dangerous stairwell, the question of garbage disposal, the question of heat and cold, of roaches and rats--all questions of life and death for the poor, and especially for those with children--we had to cope with all of these as best we could. Our parents were lashed to futureless jobs, in order to pay the outrageous rent. We knew that the landlord treated us this way only because we were colored, and he knew that we could not move out.

The grocer was a Jew, and being in debt to him was very much like being in debt to the company store. The butcher was a Jew and, yes, we certainly paid more for bad cuts of meat than other New York citizens, and we very often carried insults home, along with the meat. We bought our clothes from a Jew and, sometimes, our secondhand shoes, and the pawnbroker was a Jew--perhaps we hated him most of all. The merchants along 125th Street were Jewish--at least many of them were; I don't know if Grant's or Woolworth's are Jewish names--and I well remember that it was only after the Harlem riot of 1935 that Negroes were allowed to earn a little money in some of the stores where they spent so much.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/books/98/03/29/specials/baldwin-antisem.html

James Baldwin, best known for Notes Of A Native Son

an interesting look at justifying bigotry, i ran across this looking for info on european attitudes toward jews in the period before Hitler

Last edited:

ok doser

still working my head around this one:

The root of anti-Semitism among Negroes is, ironically, the relationship of colored peoples--all over the globe--to the Christian world. This is a fact which may be difficult to grasp, not only for the ghetto's most blasted and embittered inhabitants, but also for many Jews, to say nothing of many Christians.

The Berean

an interesting look at justifying bigotry, i ran ran across this looking for info on european attitudes toward jews in the period before Hitler
Is this really bigotry, though? They hated the Jews, not because they were Jews, but because the Jews treated them really poorly and tried to rip them off at every opportunity. Just saying. :think:

ok doser

Is this really bigotry, though? They hated the Jews, not because they were Jews, but because the Jews treated them really poorly and tried to rip them off at every opportunity. Just saying. :think:

wouldn't germans in the depth of their depression in the twenties have had similar experiences?

The Berean

wouldn't germans in the depth of their depression in the twenties have had similar experiences?

I don't think it's the same situation. The German Jews didn't control the German economy of control where Germans can live or eat or work. The collapse of the German economy wasn't caused by Jews.

ok doser

Is Jewish a race?

if it is, mort wins! :roses:

50e81c3f90461.jpeg

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
an interesting look at justifying bigotry, i ran across this looking for info on european attitudes toward jews in the period before Hitler

What makes you think that a homosexual who also believed that Christianity reinforced the system of American slavery spoke for the Black community?

The Berean

Baldwin is a classic case of the pride of intellectualism. He believed he was too smart, too "woke" to embrace Christianity or any religion. That is ironic because he claimed he was a professing Christian as a teenager and that his Christian faith was very important to him as a teen. From what I've read Baldwin's ceased identifying as a Christian in large part to his abusive Baptist preacher stepfather.