NARAL hosts 'Screw Abstinence Party'

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Abortion-rights group to cut loose at local fund-raiser

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

An affiliate of one of the nation's leading abortion-rights groups is taking a hard-edged swipe at cultural conservatives by inviting young donors to a "Screw Abstinence Party."

The Washington-state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America says the first-of-its-kind fund-raiser tomorrow night in Seattle targets young professionals in their 20s and 30s.

A promo for the event says: "Tired of Bush & Co. spending your tax dollars on abstinence-only-until-marriage initiatives that promote dangerous misinformation? Throw your hands up and say it loud: 'Screw Abstinence!'"

The party features the "Pork Filled Players" – described as "Seattle theatre's hottest sketch comedy group" – who will perform "a sex ed class for adults." Also on the schedule is the retailer Toys in Babeland, "Seattle’s sleaze-free, sex-positive purveyors of adult toys," which will "offer tips on 'Sexy Safer Sex.'"

A flyer distributed by the affiliate says: "Let them know you keep it real when it comes to your sexual health and decision making. Come laugh, learn, socialize and buck the system at NARAL Pro-Choice Washington’s Screw Abstinence Party."

A staffer at the Seattle office told WND that about 100 people have pre-registered for the event.

A spokeswoman for the affiliate did not respond to a request for comment.

The staffer said the event is not organized by the national office and while other affiliates have held fund-raisers targeting young professionals, none have put on a "Screw Abstinence Party."

The national office in Washington, D.C., also did not respond to a request for comment.

A flyer says funds raised at the party go toward securing "comprehensive and medically-accurate sex education, as well as guarantee every woman the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices."

'Cringe-worthy'

But some supporters of abortion rights think the party reflects poorly on NARAL.

A contributor to the weblog of Seattle's left-leaning alternative weekly, The Stranger, thought NARAL was making a politically foolish choice.

"Does this strike anyone else as a cringe-worthy and counterproductive theme for a pro-choice fundraiser," asked Josh Feit. "It seems politically idiotic for the preeminent pro-choice group in the country to be sponsoring this pandering, pseudo-hipster 'sex positive' event."

Feit said the event "undermines NARAL's credibility as an organization that is seriously concerned with unwanted pregnancies by playing into the right's stereotypes about the left as a promiscuous bunch of libertines."

"Wow-weee, the left is 'pro-sex' and those meanie Christian activists want to preach abstinence in the schools," Feit wrote. "Look, I'm just as freaked out as anyone about the creeping evisceration of separation of church and state … but let's be smart politically. A 'Screw Abstinence' fundraiser is … trite, juvenile, and politically stupid."

While opposing "abstinence only" sex education, NARAL's national organization has supported legislation that would provide federal funding for programs that teach both abstinence and "safe sex," or contraception.

The national office says on its website, "In searching for solutions to this crisis, some individuals and groups have focused on abstinence-only education. But while abstinence education is an essential part of sex education, it should not be the only lesson taught. Sex education should also teach teens how to protect themselves if they do become sexually active."

NARAL touts a bill by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., known as the REAL Act, or Responsible Education About Life.

The bill is "an alternative to 'abstinence-only' programs and would give students real answers by establishing the first-ever federal sex-education program," NARAL says

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45242

Crow

Wow. A bunch of people who advocate murder getting together to have a party celebrating immorality.

Why am I not astonished?

C

cattyfan

no surprize....without indiscriminate sex and immorality, NARAL goes out of business.

C

cattyfan

granite1010 said:
Reminds me of those "I Had An Abortion" t-shirts from a while back.

I had forgotten about those. anyone willing to be proud of having undergone that procedure probably had their brain aborted, as well.

docrob57

Zakath said:
Sounds like a really stupid idea, not to mention a public relations nightmare. :down:

OFF TOPIC POST

I just read your signature. If you haven't read Thomas Sowell's The Vision of the Anointed I would recommend it. It gives teeth to your quote.

Hmmm. Lots of discussion of teeth surrounding you these days.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
docrob57 said:
OFF TOPIC POST

I just read your signature. If you haven't read Thomas Sowell's The Vision of the Anointed I would recommend it. It gives teeth to your quote.
OFF TOPIC REPLY

I'll take a look.

Hmmm. Lots of discussion of teeth surrounding you these days.
:confused:

Pepper

Yes, the whole "Screw abstinence" theme is a bit over the top, but I understand where they're coming from. That's the problem with a lot of groups, they make things so extreme...PETA for example. When people get together in groups for a cause, they tend to take things a bit too far and rather than helping their cause, they end up looking foolish and probably hurting their argument. But I don't think that "abstinence only" should be taught either.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
My stance on gun control, abortion, size and influence and involvement of government.

On what issues do you tend to lean to the left?

allsmiles

Shimei said:
On what issues do you tend to lean to the left?

Homosexuality, the environment, women's rights, civil rights. Kind of. I'm more familiar with the things I'm right wing than the things I'm left wing.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
Homosexuality, the environment, women's rights, civil rights. Kind of. I'm more familiar with the things I'm right wing than the things I'm left wing.

So maybe you could say "more right than left"?