ECT Matthew 24:34

ClimateSanity

The following article is from http://alwaysbeready.com/preterism-refuted

By Charlie Campbell of Always Be Ready Apologetics Ministry

MATTHEW 24:34

And then notice v. 34. This is the most popular proof text preterists point to. Notice what Jesus says…

Matthew 24:34
“Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.”

And so our preterist friend says...

PRETERIST: “Ahh, you see! Jesus promised that “this generation” (v. 34)—the generation that was alive at His time—would by no means pass away until all of these things took place (the Abomination of Desolation, the great tribulation, the coming of the Son of Man). Therefore, these things must have taken place. Jesus must have come back or He would be a false prophet!”

Because of this verse (Matt. 24:34) and a couple of others that we’ll look at, preterists insist that all of the things spoken about in this chapter, including…

• the Tribulation events (spoken of in Revelation)
• and the coming of Christ

...had to have occurred before the generation of people living at the time of Jesus, died off.

Well, I disagree that this is what Jesus meant. “Then, what ‘generation’ was Jesus talking about in Matthew 24:34?” He was talking about the generation that would see “all” (v. 34) the things He just mentioned.

The key to understanding this verse (Matthew 24:34) is found by backing up a verse. Notice verse 33. Jesus said...

Matthew 24:33-34
33 “Even so you too, when you see these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation [What generation? the generation who, in v. 33, sees “all” those things] will not pass away until all these things take place.”

So, Jesus says “when you see all these things” (v. 33).

What things?

• The “Abomination of Desolation” (v.15)
• The time of “great tribulation” (v. 21) “such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now nor ever shall.”
• The stars falling from the skies (v. 29)

That generation (the Tribulation generation) will not pass away without also seeing the coming of the Son of Man to the Earth (mentioned in v. 30).

Jesus was talking about the generation of people who would be alive during the events leading up to His Second Coming, that is, during the time of tribulation. OK

Danoh

In light of Isaiah 8:20's assertion of the need for more than that chapter alone - the above is very poor exegesis.

The Preterist will easily conclude having a field day with it; as the Preterist's is merely as poor a reliance on passages like that alone, as the above writer's.

It's a case of the Old interpreting the supposed New, ignored by both sides of the fence, even as each side asserts what they each assert about the relationship between the Old and the New.

Think about it - there three-fold question to him was obviously asked out of an awareness of certain issues, themes, and subject matter that had previously been prophesied.

genuineoriginal

33 “Even so you too, when you see these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation [What generation? the generation who, in v. 33, sees “all” those things] will not pass away until all these things take place.”

What things?

• The time of “great tribulation” (v. 21) “such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now nor ever shall.”

You included too much in "all these things"

Matthew 24:5-8
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.​

Matthew 24:33
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.​

What Jesus said would be seen is all the things that happen prior to the great tribulation.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The following article is from http://alwaysbeready.com/preterism-refuted

By Charlie Campbell of Always Be Ready Apologetics Ministry

MATTHEW 24:34

And then notice v. 34. This is the most popular proof text preterists point to. Notice what Jesus says…

Matthew 24:34
“Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.”

And so our preterist friend says...

PRETERIST: “Ahh, you see! Jesus promised that “this generation” (v. 34)—the generation that was alive at His time—would by no means pass away until all of these things took place (the Abomination of Desolation, the great tribulation, the coming of the Son of Man). Therefore, these things must have taken place. Jesus must have come back or He would be a false prophet!”

Because of this verse (Matt. 24:34) and a couple of others that we’ll look at, preterists insist that all of the things spoken about in this chapter, including…

• the Tribulation events (spoken of in Revelation)
• and the coming of Christ

...had to have occurred before the generation of people living at the time of Jesus, died off.

Well, I disagree that this is what Jesus meant. “Then, what ‘generation’ was Jesus talking about in Matthew 24:34?” He was talking about the generation that would see “all” (v. 34) the things He just mentioned.

The key to understanding this verse (Matthew 24:34) is found by backing up a verse. Notice verse 33. Jesus said...

What things?

That generation (the Tribulation generation) will not pass away without also seeing the coming of the Son of Man to the Earth (mentioned in v. 30).

Jesus was talking about the generation of people who would be alive during the events leading up to His Second Coming, that is, during the time of tribulation. OK
Yeppers.

But .....

Matthew 16:28 KJV
(28) Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.​

Mark 9:1 KJV
(1) And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.​

Luke 9:27 KJV
(27) But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

In the above 3 verses "some standing here" absolutely means some that were standing there at that moment.

ClimateSanity

Yeppers.

But .....

(28) Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.​

(1) And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.​

(27) But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

In the above 3 verses "some standing here" absolutely means some that were standing there at that moment.

17 Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves; 2 and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. 4 Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, let us[a] make here three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”

5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!” 6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid. 7 But Jesus came and touched them and said, “Arise, and do not be afraid.” 8 When they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.

This is a possible fulfillment of your passages, especially in light of the fact that Matthew places this vision right after those prophecies.

Also, There really has been nohting else that qualifies as Jesus coming in his kingdom to date.

ClimateSanity

In light of Isaiah 8:20's assertion of the need for more than that chapter alone - the above is very poor exegesis.

The Preterist will easily conclude having a field day with it; as the Preterist's is merely as poor a reliance on passages like that alone, as the above writer's.

It's a case of the Old interpreting the supposed New, ignored by both sides of the fence, even as each side asserts what they each assert about the relationship between the Old and the New.

Think about it - there three-fold question to him was obviously asked out of an awareness of certain issues, themes, and subject matter that had previously been prophesied.

I'm sure he will tear it apart but it's the best this beginner can do. I was just happy to find something to knock down one of the legs of preterism.

john w

Hall of Fame
Since slick, greasy, "Partial Preterist" Craigie no arms/chin "Frank Burns" Tellalie has suffered a "death knell," I will do my best,to respond for him:

"Darby....You are in denial....No one taught this man made invention until 'The Flinstones'....Fulfilled AD 70....Darby...Bullinger....Fulfilled AD 1970... No dispensationalist can answer any of my questions...Darby....You really think (fill in the blank) is literal?...Bullinger....Darby....Vision of a teenage girl....Darby.....Fulfilled in 'Jesus'......Darby.....You are in denial.....Don't you believe 'Jesus'/the bible/Paul/Peter?....Hyperbole....You follow the teachings of men/a man made invention.....Darby....Fulfilled.....Fleshly......Darby....I was a dispensationalist until AD 70/AD 1970...Darby............"

How did I do? You are all in denial....

Cricket...cricket...cricket....

Danoh

Yeppers.

But .....

Beautiful distinction, fellow MADist :thumb:

People forget the seeming curve balls the Lord would all of sudden turn to speak in, while speaking of some other thing seemingly unrelated to said seeming curve ball :chuckle:

It all goes back to Who He really was - that which was spoken of concerning "one like unto the Ancient of Days."

"For the prophecy came not in old time by..." and all the rest that Peter said about that...

ClimateSanity

Since slick, greasy, "Partial Preterist" Craigie no arms/chin "Frank Burns" Tellalie has suffered a "death knell," I will do my best,to respond for him:

"Darby....You are in denial....No one taught this man made invention until 'The Flinstones'....Fulfilled AD 70....Darby...Bullinger....Fulfilled AD 1970... No dispensationalist can answer any of my questions...Darby....You really think (fill in the blank) is literal?...Bullinger....Darby....Vision of a teenage girl....Darby.....Fulfilled in 'Jesus'......Darby.....You are in denial.....Don't you believe 'Jesus'/the bible/Paul/Peter?....Hyperbole....You follow the teachings of men/a man made invention.....Darby....Fulfilled.....Fleshly......Darby....I was a dispensationalist until AD 70/AD 1970...Darby............"

How did I do? You are all in denial....

Cricket...cricket...cricket....

I'm not in the Nile. But nice try.

Interplanner

It was all expected to happen in that generation unless God's grace determined a delay, which He did (2 Pet 3). Paul was so sure of the entire thing happening very soon that he never speaks of the delay as did Peter, Mark and Matthew.

Now that someone like Danoh has agreed that the Transfiguration could be a coming, in a certain sense, it is curious to see the ridicule put on other events as a coming: the Res, the seminar, the Spirit, the intervention of Paul, the influx of the Gentiles, the destruction of Jerusalem.

Futurism was not in the disciples minds at all in the "3 questions." Mt 23 was. Mt 23 about the desolation was a shock because it seemed time for the reign of a messiah to begin. And yes, while He reigns, Judaism and Jerusalem are decimated. Hmmm. What could that mean?

To all: stop using "the great tribulation" as though it was a trademarked (TM) name from that time period which always and everywhere carries the same meaning forever. That it was in charts and posters and best-sellers back then as well. The time of unparalleled horror or upheaval was at hand. So said Daniel. Seriously, you would not think people in a tiny sect in the smallest corner of the Roman empire would go through the 6th decade there in Judea and never connect the two?

You have to go back to what happened when Daniel prayed in intercession for Israel in ch 9 only to find out that Israel was to be decimated--yet Messiah would succeed! That is a miniature of NT and NT history.